Wpf 9-30/10-6

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
MGRy F3A #500 on the main coming into Sundown.

P3132102.jpg

Made some progress this week on my extension room layout. Finally getting some trackwork done!

P1000721_1.JPG

P1000722_1.JPG

I've been working on adding vegetation between the depot and front street. I know that the plants probably wouldn't be this green but the pictures I've seen show it quite grassy around the tracks. There are gravel roads on either side so there isn't much room for grass. I guess this is an area where my modelers license comes in handy!:D

BehindFrontstreet008-1.jpg

A quick pic of a seldom shown area of the layout.

BehindFrontstreet031-1.png

A passenger waves from the observation car to the passing freight train.

BehindFrontstreet019-1.png

Not the greatest picture. But after model railroad craftsmen liked my models i decided to actually finish the decals on this one. I did the yellow side stripe on one side so far. I'll correct the numbers now that I notice they are definitely not level. I'll be working on the otherside maybe at work. But im still torn at doing the chevrons. I really dont want to remove all the grabs again and re-number it.
LVsidestripe.png

Not the greatest picture. But after model railroad craftsmen liked my models i decided to actually finish the decals on this one. I did the yellow side stripe on one side so far. I'll correct the numbers now that I notice they are definitely not level. I'll be working on the otherside maybe at work. But im still torn at doing the chevrons. I really dont want to remove all the grabs again and re-number it.
LVsidestripe.png

I might have believed it if it was in the lovely 80 MAC :p Great job though!

I've been working on adding vegetation between the depot and front street. I know that the plants probably wouldn't be this green but the pictures I've seen show it quite grassy around the tracks. There are gravel roads on either side so there isn't much room for grass. I guess this is an area where my modelers license comes in handy!:D

BehindFrontstreet008-1.jpg
The grass is amazing! If I may though, allow me to provide some constructive feedback on the gravel.

The first thing I notice in that pic is that the gravel looks out of place as it doesn't blend well with the ground. The grass between the two tracks blends extremely well with the ground and that probably doesn't help because it draws comparison to the road. Because of the fairly wide ballast coverage, the scene appears (to me) as if the natural colour of the soil is very dark, which makes the very bright gravel stand out further.

All that said, it's just the colours that are doing it I think, as the spreading looks fine. In reality no gravel would be that clean unless it had been laid down 5mins ago, especially gravel of such a light colour. I think adding some muddy tire tracks would really sell it! If you haven't already sealed it, maybe dirty up the wheels of an appropriate scale car and run it down the road in sections to make it look used. Maybe even add some small oil patches where it looks like vehicles would commonly be parked. Add some of that gravel to the tarmac road in the background too - gravel never stays where it is at a junction like that. :)

Just my AU$0.02!

Thanks for the feedback. The gravel on the right has had a few coats of diluted black paint spread over it to try and dirty it up. The gravel on the left is brand spanking new! It wasn't even dry yet for this picture.:) When I originally ballasted the track I used liberal amounts of cinders since this is not the main line. I had visions of cinders being spread all over the place. Well, then I decided on the gravel roads which were present at the time I'm modeling. You're right, I need to get down right nasty with a brown and black wash to darken this up. Maybe tomorrow I can work on that.

I might have believed it if it was in the lovely 80 MAC :p Great job though!

Thanks. Hoping to get the other striping done today, then will think long and hard about the chevrons. THe nose is pretty blahhh. THen when that is complete, dullcoat to protect and hold it all in. And then TSUNAMI!

Thanks. Hoping to get the other striping done today, then will think long and hard about the chevrons. THe nose is pretty blahhh. THen when that is complete, dullcoat to protect and hold it all in. And then TSUNAMI!

I did a couple of "what if" Conrail SD90 macs. I know what you mean by blahhh. I ended up doing the white Conrail Quality stripe and am happier because of it. I started a tsunami install awhile back but put it off due to a MC accident. Maybe 1 day I will be able to finish it. Good Luck!

My newest addition to the motley fleet of the BB&G is this ex-Seaboard BQ23-7. It's an ancient Bachjunk unit, but I found that if you slice off the molded fuel tanks, it fits real nice on an Athearn U-boat chassis. The donor chassis was a real wreck too, but some cleaning, and soldering tonight got a decoder mounted. It still sounds and smells like the ancient (i.e. older than me, and I'm early 80's vintage...) Athearn it is, but it works for me! (for now at least) The future holds weathering, functional headlights and some strobes on the roof, but I've got a backlog of projects; I've wanted a BQ-7 for YEARS.... (still in the market if you have an old one, or an Athearn U-boat chassis...)

Here it is passing Strickland Propane and Fuels:
IMAG0517.jpg

And rolling out of the Teller Industrial area to parallel FM 1983:
IMAG0516.jpg

The union pacific has decided to damn profit and start an extensive steam rebuilding program. It includes 2 big boy's using 4002 for parts, a 9000 class, a challenger, a Y6b, a donated Allegheny, and finally just a inspection of Nickle Plate 757. Thanks U.P.! :D

I just wanted to say how great everything looks. I am working up the courage to share my first 2 attempts at weathering.

This is my latest creation. Front Range frame, motor, flywheels, shafts and worms. Proto 2000 AAR FA trucks, Walthers Trainline GP9m shell, Digitrax decoder set for road switcher speed table. It runs nicely in consist with my Model Power GP9.

P3152136.jpg

Show us matt, we dont bite!!

(btw, I tested the IANR last year for Sperry Rail... neat RR...)

Back