Wpf 11/25-12/2

Wow, Crandell, that is a beautiful piece of machinery, well worth the wait, eh? Here's hoping you get your track in order so you can run that beauty. DJ.

after 5 minutes of BS'ing, and 30 minutes of hacking, a Bachmann GE 70 tonner lost it's head... and whole body. I found an old MDC boxcab fits well on the frame and running boards of the 70 tonner...

IMAG0558.jpg

Still needs some work, and in my rush, I botched the "straight line" of the bottom of the boxcab. Oh well! the side sheet metal rusted where it meets the frame! (Prototype reference: Texas Limited F-9's pre-hurricane Ike and SRS #124...)

It is a honey, but it doesn't like my slightly wavy roadbed (should have anchored it more often on risers and planed it better with a surform file), and it doesn't like my smaller curves. So, as I type, it is back in its carton, on a shelf, and it will see no sunrises or Sunsets for a while. :p

How's the suspension? Ten coupled brassies are finicky, and one this size will have to be tuned to your layout. A set of "wimpy" springs from NWSL might help. How's the weight? Based on the other stuff you run, you should be able to get this loco to work, it will just take some tinkering!

A friend on-line who collects scores of brass over the years, and who received his Selkirk about a month ago now, says they take about 3 hours of running in and lubing before they run freely. I don't have a roller platform designed for that purpose as he does.

Mine seems to be fine out on the main where I have broad curves, but it doesn't like the inner routes of my Walthers/Shinohara curved #7.5 turnouts with their notoriously over-stated/over-claimed radius. Even though I cut the webbing between the ties on their out-routes so that I could 'stretch' them wider before fixing them inplace, the inner route is still only about 25" radius, too little for the Selkirk. As for the undulations, some of the elevated curves out on the main cause it to spin for a bit. To be fair, I had it towing a pair of new Rapido smooth-sided full length Budd cars that had also never been run, and up my 3% grades. Not ideal.

I will be patient and run it in so that it 'settles', or as they would say on "Are You Being Served?", so that it rides up with wear. :D

Fuel of the people, by the people, and for the people. Taken at a show on the Connecticut Shoreliners On30 modular layout.

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
picture.php

Work train waits for a green signal before heading to a repair site.

picture.php

Latest MOW conversion from the LV shops is X-22 tie car. Car is an ex Undec RR 40' bulkhead flatcar with a creosote tank added. More tools and details still to be added.

Wonderful image. What makes it work for me are the camera placement and the realistic overhead lines.

Thanks guys, I'm inspired by the level of work and artistic expression found on this forum..

Busy crossing.....

Dachs10.jpg

Here is my latest painting:
DSC03935-1.jpg

Again inspired by a picture of K. Burkholder.
Acrylic on canvas, on a 8" x 8" 3D-frame (painted on the sides as well).

Here are two early release (likely mid 80's according according to the HO Scale Trains Resource) 51' plug door boxcars that I recently converted from truck mounted horn hook couplers to body mounted Kadee couplers, The conversion was easy and required only very minor modification of the cars. Each car took about twenty minutes and that does include the time required to change from an abrasive disk to a drill bit on the Dremel. I thought about removing the roof walks from them but they're molded in and would require quite a bit of work to remove. I tried it on another car some years ago and totally botched the job.

P1012799.jpg

Back