Wild Horse Wye Layout by Feather River

UPDATE: I received my Modular Benchwork Kit on February 6th.

Shipment arrived on time (from FedEx) and in excellent condition. Materials for the Benchwork were packaged very well; so there was no damage.
However I am delaying fitting it all together until I receive my new Electric Drill; Unfortunately delivery has been delayed until Saturday February 10th due to severe weather somewhere along the shipping route so I have to wait until then or the following day before I really get busy!
Anxious to see this project get under way!

UPDATE:
On Friday and Saturday I continued work on my new layout; by Saturday mid-day the Modular Benchwork set-up was completed.
Today (Sunday, February 11th) I marked out the track as I wanted it - going with the layout as shown by Track Plan 4b photo (as noted in previous posts).

The "good news" is I was able to achieve a track radius (on the curves) as 16.5 - so that is an improvement over the expected max. of 15 Degree Radius but less than the more desirable 18 Degree Radius.

However the portion of the track which is in the Reverse Loop "S" section is questionable; but I discovered this can be improved upon by adding another 12 inches to the North end of the layout; and that is where the "bad news" comes in! It seems that I made an error in my measurements regarding the walk-way space I would have between the Benchwork and the Book Shelves on that North Wall.
So currently I have "wasted space".

So I have asked James to give me an estimate for an additional section of Benchwork for that North end of the layout.
Extending the length of the layout - (North-South direction) - will make the Reverse Loop "S" section better.

Unfortunately I cannot proceed any further now with my layout until I put in an order for Roadbed Foam (I'm not using cork); Flex track and sectional track; RH and LH Turnouts; plus a few other things.

Included with this Posting I am attaching a few photos.
I am also including the name of the business from which I ordered and received my Modular Benchwork.

From MRT February 9, 2024:

“ ‘That's unfortunate on the delay on your drill Dave.
You will definitely find it much easier and faster with it. Plus it comes in handy for other purposes also.

You can definitely mention our store and website, I welcome all feedback, both positive and negative regarding our products.
Looking forward to an update, and feel free to send photos if you want.

Regards, James.’ “

Name and Address of Business:

The Model Railroad Benchwork Store
116 S GRANT ST SUITE 110 #1498
ROSEVILLE, California 95678
United States

California Sellers Permit Number 217902880-00001
URL: Modular Benchwork

I am very pleased with the way James kept me informed of the progress of my order -
from the day I ordered the Benchwork to the day I received it.
Directions regarding assembling the Benchwork were excellent, showing step by step illustrations.
In addition, he always answered my emails promptly; gave a very detailed work order and estimate; and the quality of his work is very good.

Now for the photos I have taken:
NOTE: A photo of the how the Benchwork looks fully assembled to follow soon. ( For more photos see Post #25 below)

Attachments

• Modular Benchwork - L and S Model RR.jpg
    Modular Benchwork - L and S Model RR.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Assembling main frame.jpg
    Assembling main frame.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Framework for the L Section of layout.jpg
    Framework for the L Section of layout.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Legs for Modular Benchwork.jpg
    Legs for Modular Benchwork.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Some tools used in assembling Modular Benchwork.jpg
    Some tools used in assembling Modular Benchwork.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
UPDATE: More photos of my L and S MRR Layout

But first, additional info about the Modular Benchwork:
It is very sturdy.
It is level in all directions - (those levelers on the "legs" are great!)

And last but definitely not least:
The Model Railroad Benchwork Store was the only business (of which I personally contacted) that offered the option of ordering plywood
to cover the top of the Modular Benchwork.

Attachments

• Photo 1 -Looking at the top of the Benchwork.jpg
    Photo 1 -Looking at the top of the Benchwork.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo 2 - Another view - showing the Yard Section.jpg
    Photo 2 - Another view - showing the Yard Section.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo 3 - Showing the 4 foot section of the L.jpg
    Photo 3 - Showing the 4 foot section of the L.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 24
UPDATE:
I have extended the length of the Modular Benchwork for my layout from 4 feet to 5 feet; "James" (of the Benchwork Store - see my other posts for details) made the extension piece for me. This extension will make it easier to lay track for the "S" Reverse Loop in my layout, and hopefully provide for better navigation of locos and rolling stock through the reverse loop.

The total size of my layout is now 5 feet x 3 feet, with the "L" section of the layout being 1 foot x 4 feet.
That's it for the size of the layout; there will be no more "size adjustments".
I have marked all the track and turnout locations.

The next phase will be to apply the foam base for the track (from Woodland Scenics); install the track and turnouts; and then add all the DCC software - such as a Protector Circuit, Reverse Loop Software, etc.

I have attached a few more photos - see below.

Attachments

• 1 x 3 Benchwork Extension for L and S MRR Layout.jpg
    1 x 3 Benchwork Extension for L and S MRR Layout.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Outriggers.jpg
    Outriggers.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Shelf for DCC Equipment.jpg
    Shelf for DCC Equipment.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 18
2nd UPDATE of 17 Feb 2024:

Some more photos below.

Expecting my order from "Trainz" to arrive Tuesday, 2-20-24. Then I can start with the laying of foam roadbed.
Then in March I will be adding track and turnouts! :)

UPDATE - 22 Feb 2024:
Work delayed :(....didn't order enough foam track bed (about 6-7 feet short of what I needed) so now have to wait until additional foam track bed arrives.

Attachments

• End Extension of Modular Benchwork.jpg
    End Extension of Modular Benchwork.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Full view of L section - 1 foot x 4 feet.jpg
    Full view of L section - 1 foot x 4 feet.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Full View of Benchwork - Top view.jpg
    Full View of Benchwork - Top view.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
UPDATE:
Waiting on the two shipments of materials I ordered so I can continue with my layout (supposed to be arriving on Monday and Tuesday of next week).

So far the most frustrating part for me regarding this layout project has been "waiting for parts/material" to arrive.
I prefer keeping a regular "pace".

Hello Everyone!

With regards to a related issue, I would appreciate all persons interested in this particular Thread to also view one of my other Threads,
namely this one:

At first I wasn't going to mention this about my model railroad layout, but since I have had time to do nothing more on my layout (because of supplies not being delivered to me, e.g. the ridiculous way USPS operates), I have been analyzing the feasibility of my current track scheme.

It is impossible to implement a "reverse loop" on my layout due to not enough space to allow for a decent Radius on the curves.
Thus I am presently planning - on paper and on the layout top itself - alternate designs of the track scheme.

I have come up with two proposals:

ONE: I am going to do away with the continuous loop of track (which also contained the "reverse loop); and instead going with two (2) main lines coming out of the "staging yard" and continuing through to a "dead end" on the North side of the layout. (That's "phase 1")

TWO: I am going to expand the current layout of five (5) foot length x three (3) foot width, another eight (8) feet or so (not quite sure how much yet); but it will have an "offset" from the current Modular Benchwork by approximately 12" to 18".
In other words, the "extension" will not be exactly aligned to the total length of the current Modular Benchwork.

This will accomplish two (2) things:
I will be able to have a continuous loop; and I may also be able to have a "Reverse Loop" - and the maximum Radius (hopefully) can be increased from the present 16.5 Degree Radius to at least 18.0 Degree Radius (on the curves); and if I get "lucky", maybe even more than 18 Degrees. (This is "Phase 2")

But the alterations to the Layout don't stop there!
I am also going to have one track elevated as it "returns" to the staging yard - that would be Track 1.
In other words, Track 1 going "out" of the staging yard will be on the main level; and Track 1 coming "back" will be on the 2nd tier (level) in the
staging yard.

Comments anyone???

Sorry, I can't visualize it. Make a simple pencil drawing for those of us with challenges.🤣
Sorry, I don't know how to do simple drawings; will this do 😁
Also, when I did this drawing I discovered that if I did not go through with my idea of elevated track, I could have:

A WYE
Track with Continuous Loop
Opportunity to reverse direction of a locomotive or consist.

Looking forward to your comments.

Attachments

• Reverse Loop and Layout Extension - Rev 3-3 - 24.jpg
    Reverse Loop and Layout Extension - Rev 3-3 - 24.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 22
I am considering changing the name of my MRR Layout from "L and S" to ???

And since work on my layout has come to a screeching halt due to lack of materials and parts (brought on by seemingly never ending delays), I may start a new "occupation", maybe something like "DJ Reports" in which I own, operate, and manage a "newscast" of subjects and issues no one else is willing to say anything about; you know, something very controversial. 😲
Let's see..... what will I choose for an grand opening?🤔

Stay tuned.....

I am considering changing the name of my MRR Layout from "L and S" to ???

And since work on my layout has come to a screeching halt due to lack of materials and parts (brought on by seemingly never ending delays), I may start a new "occupation", maybe something like "DJ Reports" in which I own, operate, and manage a "newscast" of subjects and issues no one else is willing to say anything about; you know, something very controversial. 😲
Let's see..... what will I choose for an grand opening?🤔

Stay tuned.....
Feather: So, your railroad 'LANDS' in some location. Play with that. Mine is CORR; Coastal Overland Rail Road. To me, both LANDS and CORR are names that: at least I think folks will remember. Have fun!

As to the controversial part. Ton of stuff in the metaverse already so doing that is not new; but...It would have your slant on things.

Later

Feather: So, your railroad 'LANDS' in some location. Play with that. Mine is CORR; Coastal Overland Rail Road. To me, both LANDS and CORR are names that: at least I think folks will remember. Have fun!

As to the controversial part. Ton of stuff in the metaverse already so doing that is not new; but...It would have your slant on things.

Later
Thanks for your comments!

I have some good news - My order from Woodland Scenics finally arrived at the Reno hub (USPS) this morning.
So unless there is a "hitch" somewhere between now and late 4 FEB 2024, I should have my order of Foam Roadbed -
which means I can finish that phase of my layout.

Also, I have chosen the new name for my layout: WILD HORSE WYE

I arrived at this name for several reasons;
one being that my cat really likes horses; secondly, a guy I knew here in Reno really took great photos of wild Nevada Horses. He would always send copies of those photos to my "inbox" and I would then save them to a special file on my computer; and last, the "wye" part of the name I chose comes from my original idea of having a prototype model railroad of the famed "Keddie Y" of
Union Pacific's Feather River route - and which will be a part of my layout when I include the "extension" (see attachment in Post #36).

Attachment of one of his Horse Photos - see below. All of the horse photos he took are truly wild Nevada Horses.
(This particular photo is my favorite)

2nd Photo displays "Boots" - Special Inspector General of the "Wild Horse Wye"

Attachments

• Wild Nevada Horses (3).jpeg
    Wild Nevada Horses (3).jpeg
    716.2 KB · Views: 27
  • End Extension of Modular Benchwork.jpg
    End Extension of Modular Benchwork.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
UPDATE OF LAYOUT; NAME CHANGE; NEW LAYOUT PHOTO:

L and S Layout is now "Wild Horse Wye"
Additionally, I have included a new photo (layout drawing) - see attachment.

Attachments

• Fianl Revision - Reverse Loop and Wye.jpg
    Fianl Revision - Reverse Loop and Wye.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 18

Back