Wild Horse Wye Layout by Feather River

FeatherRiver

As suggested by another Forum Member, I am starting a new thread here to show-case my latest MRR layout project.
The name I chose for this project is "L & S" - which I believe "fits" the shape of the track plan. (See attachment included below.)

Start of layout construction is expected to be sometime between February 5th and 10th, 2024.
Photos will be added to this post in various stages of the progress of this layout.

For those forum members who would like to add comments, make suggestions, or ask questions: Please feel welcome to do so.:)

Attachments

• L and S MMR Track Layout 2.jpg
    L and S MMR Track Layout 2.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 53
As suggested by another Forum Member, I am starting a new thread here to show-case my latest MRR layout project.
The name I chose for this project is "L & S" - which I believe "fits" the shape of the track plan. (See attachment included below.)

Start of layout construction is expected to be sometime between February 5th and 10th, 2024.
Photos will be added to this post in various stages of the progress of this layout.

For those forum members who would like to add comments, make suggestions, or ask questions: Please feel welcome to do so.:)

Looking forward to it! However, unless I'm missing something I think you forgot to add your attachment

I will be following along as well!

Remember, we love lots of photos!

Looking forward to it! However, unless I'm missing something I think you forgot to add your attachment
It has been so long since I have taken a photo with my smartphone that I had to "relearn" the steps taken to get the photo sent over to the files on my computer. Anyway, the photo is there now of the track layout.
It isn't a good photo - I am going to try and take a better looking photo later today - then I will replace the current photo.;)

If I interpret your photo correctly, in the OP, you are going with 15" radius curves. Correct?

I have considered the same, but this will limit you to 40' and under rolling stock and small 4 axle engines.

If I interpret your photo correctly, in the OP, you are going with 15" radius curves. Correct?

I have considered the same, but this will limit you to 40' and under rolling stock and small 4 axle engines.
Thanks for your comment and question! You brought up a very good point.

I am not sure about the exact "radius" yet; when I get the Benchwork set up, I am going to use a radius tool I purchased from Micro-Mark Tools to determine what maximum radius is possible.

I have also been thinking maybe it is possible (?) for me to make an "extension" with regard to the 3 x 4 section of the layout (top of diagram).
There is a closet I could convert into additional space for my layout, gaining approximately 3' in width, by 2' 4" in depth - I am referring to the section of layout space in the top right quadrant.

What do you think? Is it worth the extra work (and money) ? That is, the space I would gain by doing the above mentioned extension, would it be enough to allow for a expanded radius of 15" to perhaps 18"?

UPDATE: I have included below V. 3 Photo of my layout project.
After going over very carefully the space I have available to me for this MRR Layout, and drawing up another sketch, I have concluded it would not be practical to expand the layout area by using the closet space (see photo).

The only other two options I can think of are:
a) To use "Space B" (see photo), but I don't want to that as it would present additional problems for me.
b) Or, buy a house with at least three bedrooms - two bedrooms which are back-to-back so I could have track going through both rooms via a partial cut-out of one of the connecting walls....

Regarding what Marlin39 said in Post #7 above, e.g., 15" Radius Curves, there is a positive side to that situation should it be impossible for me to achieve more than 15" radius curves on my HO Scale layout.
Meaning: I really want a Steam Locomotive (old style) with "smoke" and hopefully with DCC Sound as well - if such a locomotive is available.
Additionally, I will be looking for a Diesel Locomotive and a "switcher" locomotive, plus some older style passenger and freight cars.

Attachments

• L and S MRR Layout - Vs. 3.jpg
    L and S MRR Layout - Vs. 3.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 44
I'm not really meaning to throw a damper on things, but it looks like the space between the sliding closet doors and the layout is only ~18" in width. Wall and door thickness might make for a tight fit for a human body given that the track looks to be really close to the edge of the layout. The walkway on the right side appears to be 13", a much tighter fit.
How much of space "B" nearest the layout is actually being solidly used? Is some of that space empty so it may be combined with the walkway there to allow more room? I am also assuming that the drawing might not be truly to scale, as the 13" space in the upper right doesn't seem to be the same width as the much narrower 13" space on the bottom and the bottom-left.
While this layout can be built using the 15" radii curves in the space on the drawing, I do think that the layout overall may be problematic in several respects. Especially so if mobility is an issue as inferred in your other thread. That yard probably won't fit as drawn, one track too many, and that switch on the LH side won't fit in that loop without fudging on the 15" radius coming out the diverging route, in this case the main line. There isn't enough space for the reverse loop either. It might be time to either consider N scale or take over some of space "B".
Again I am not meaning to be a pessimist, but there are some issues here that need to be understood in advance.

I'm not really meaning to throw a damper on things, but it looks like the space between the sliding closet doors and the layout is only ~18" in width. Wall and door thickness might make for a tight fit for a human body given that the track looks to be really close to the edge of the layout. The walkway on the right side appears to be 13", a much tighter fit.
How much of space "B" nearest the layout is actually being solidly used? Is some of that space empty so it may be combined with the walkway there to allow more room? I am also assuming that the drawing might not be truly to scale, as the 13" space in the upper right doesn't seem to be the same width as the much narrower 13" space on the bottom and the bottom-left.
While this layout can be built using the 15" radii curves in the space on the drawing, I do think that the layout overall may be problematic in several respects. Especially so if mobility is an issue as inferred in your other thread. That yard probably won't fit as drawn, one track too many, and that switch on the LH side won't fit in that loop without fudging on the 15" radius coming out the diverging route, in this case the main line. There isn't enough space for the reverse loop either. It might be time to either consider N scale or take over some of space "B".
Again I am not meaning to be a pessimist, but there are some issues here that need to be understood in advance.
Hello,

After reading your comments I thought it best to go "back to the drawing board" and check my measurements and a few other things.
It was good of you to be so detailed in your reply because it led me to discovering a few mistakes - and also deriving at some conclusions.

First, if you will take a look at V. #4 drawing (included here in this post) you can see all the accurate measurements.
There is nothing more I can do than what the drawing shows with regards to the walking space on North side of the layout or the South Side -
as the room dimensions, what I have along the North side wall, and the ordered Modular Benchwork, are all "set" conditions.

Regarding Space "B", there is a way to gain 22 inches; but unfortunately that will do me [Edited - no good ] because of what is in the room on the North side - refer to the drawing regarding the Book Shelves down to the "Desk" - and the measurements which apply therewith. Again, this is a "set" condition.

As for your mention regarding "mobility", I must be able to reach out into the Layout from all 4 sides; and that is why I have chosen the size and shape of the Benchwork as shown. The "13" - maybe a wee bit more - is enough for me to get into and around the layout. (There is a 3 foot, 3 inch walk space on the South side of the layout.)
BTW: The layout from the TOP to the FLOOR will be 33 inches to a max. of 36 inches - as the legs are made so there is the ability to adjust for the height of the layout, plus being able to make the layout "level" through-out the entire Benchwork.

As "mobility issues" regarding getting under the layout and doing those things like wiring for example - I will have to deal with that situation when I come to it.
As for the "yard", I have modified the track configuration so that there will be three (3) spur tracks instead of four(4).
As for the turnout on the "LH side", again I will have to deal with it somehow.
There same goes for the "reverse loop" section of track.

Considering "N Scale" instead of HO Scale???
No, HO Scale is small enough for me! If space were not an issue, I would even opt for going to a larger scale.

Conclusion: I may have to change my particular track scheme.
However, I will know more about that possibility after the installation of the Benchwork.

Attachments

• L and S Layout - Version 4b.jpg
    L and S Layout - Version 4b.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
If you were to add another crossover towards the bookshelf then one to track three you’d have something.
Sorry Rico, not quite sure I understand exactly what you are suggesting / referring to.
Anyway, I may just go back to my original track plan, with the exception of the 4' x 16" section - whereby I will go with three separate tracks in that area instead of four tracks.

I just received an email update from the company who is building my Benchwork; it is in progress right now.
So I think they will ship it to me next week or sooner.
Getting anxious to receive it as I want to start with my layout. 😃

The main problem I see with that 36" width of the table is that it isn't going to leave much room between the track and the edge of the table. If you do limit the curve to 15" radius curves, it should work, but I would be sure to add some sort of trim to the edge to prevent a derailed train from taking a highdive to the floor.

The main problem I see with that 36" width of the table is that it isn't going to leave much room between the track and the edge of the table. If you do limit the curve to 15" radius curves, it should work, but I would be sure to add some sort of trim to the edge to prevent a derailed train from taking a highdive to the floor.
Hello trailrider,

Thanks for bringing that possibility to my attention,
e.g. " 'add some sort of trim to the edge to prevent a derailed train from taking a highdive to the floor' ".

I have one question for you:

Looking at the attached photo Version 4b (Post #11 above), regarding the "S" loop, will I need to install a Circuit Protector unit, or perhaps even a "Reverse Loop Protector" unit?
I am concerned about the issue of polarity when a locomotive changes direction on that loop.

Hello trailrider,

Thanks for bringing that possibility to my attention,
e.g. " 'add some sort of trim to the edge to prevent a derailed train from taking a highdive to the floor' ".

I have one question for you:

Looking at the attached photo Version 4b (Post #11 above), regarding the "S" loop, will I need to install a Circuit Protector unit, or perhaps even a "Reverse Loop Protector" unit?
I am concerned about the issue of polarity when a locomotive changes direction on that loop.
Yes, you will need to isolate the "S" and have some sort of reverse loop device. The way I do it is fairly primitive, but it works for me. I have a DPDT toggle switch on my control panel, with the power coming into the center contacts, the wires to the track going from the contacts on one end set, and an X wire from one set of end connectors to the other. I have a two aspect (red over green) signal wired from the S section to the track coming from one of the turnouts. One wire from each light goes to one rail, and the other wire from the red goes to the opposite rail on the turnout side of the insulator, and the other wire from the green light goes to the opposite rail on the turnout side of the insulator. I'm not describing this very well, but the idea is that when the DPDT toggle is thrown so the polarity on the S section matches the polarity of the track that the train is entering from is correct, the green light will illuminate. When the engine is fully into the S section, you throw the toggle and also the reverse switch on the power pack, so the train will still go forward. If you have a red/green signal on the other end, the light should go from red to green and the signal on the section from which the train came will go from green to red.

Now I suppose there is an electronic Reverse Loop Protector that will do the same thing, but I don't know which one does it. There may also be a way of splitting the two loops electrically, but the way I described it works for me. This works in either DC or DCC, as I can select which I need for the type of locomotive DC or DCC.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Yes, you will need to isolate the "S" and have some sort of reverse loop device. The way I do it is fairly primitive, but it works for me. I have a DPDT toggle switch on my control panel, with the power coming into the center contacts, the wires to the track going from the contacts on one end set, and an X wire from one set of end connectors to the other. I have a two aspect (red over green) signal wired from the S section to the track coming from one of the turnouts. One wire from each light goes to one rail, and the other wire from the red goes to the opposite rail on the turnout side of the insulator, and the other wire from the green light goes to the opposite rail on the turnout side of the insulator. I'm not describing this very well, but the idea is that when the DPDT toggle is thrown so the polarity on the S section matches the polarity of the track that the train is entering from is correct, the green light will illuminate. When the engine is fully into the S section, you throw the toggle and also the reverse switch on the power pack, so the train will still go forward. If you have a red/green signal on the other end, the light should go from red to green and the signal on the section from which the train came will go from green to red.

Now I suppose there is an electronic Reverse Loop Protector that will do the same thing, but I don't know which one does it. There may also be a way of splitting the two loops electrically, but the way I described it works for me. This works in either DC or DCC, as I can select which I need for the type of locomotive DC or DCC.

Hope this isn't too confusing.
Hello trailrider,

Thanks very much for your detailed answer to my question! Also for the information on the Signals.
The information you gave me has helped me a lot; and it will make it easier now for me to choose protector circuit boards and signals.

I logged into my account at Tony's Trains, and it looks like what I need is in stock.
However before purchasing, I am going to send them a layout sketch and ask them what they recommend and to tell me exactly what I need.

UPDATE: I received my Modular Benchwork Kit on February 6th.

Shipment arrived on time (from FedEx) and in excellent condition. Materials for the Benchwork were packaged very well; so there was no damage.
However I am delaying fitting it all together until I receive my new Electric Drill; Unfortunately delivery has been delayed until Saturday February 10th due to severe weather somewhere along the shipping route so I have to wait until then or the following day before I really get busy!

Back