What's your Best custom locomotive?

Guilford Guy9887

Northeast Railfan
Its amazing to see how much talent there is on this forum. now, I'd like to see everyone's best. Whats you best custom locomotive?

I'll start. I'm relatively new to model trains but i love customizing locomotives. heres my athearn sd-40 that im turning into an sd-39 and i painted it to look like the guilford MEC 693. im currently working on making the 100 BM slug

These two one of a kinds<
picture.php

picture.php

I've made about 5 so far & all of the pics have been on this forum, but, the best is yet to come. I've just started building special engines in the past year or so & am really enjoying it. My layout has paid for it though. I spend a lot more time in my workshop & less on scenery & the little things that need to be done. The winter months tend to slow down being in that cold train room, but, the weatherman says it's going to warm up this week. LOL

OK, you asked for it. Here's one I built this year. A UM30/C645. It's a kitbashed Atlas U30C with parts from an Athearn SD40 and a Bachmann GP50 to make something that is truly one of a kind. The roof mounted air tanks were scratchbuilt as were the air lines. The cab came from a trainset quality Bachmann U33B. Obviously details were added.

P6051470.jpg

DSCN1422.jpg

DSCN1430.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough question.
Its either any of the 3 RMDT's (Road Slugs) I've built
40resized.jpg

Any of the 11 (soon to be 14) Maryland Midland units
300%20modified.jpg

or that perennial crowd favorite
the FU-2
FU2_resized.jpg

Really, I don't know what my favorite is, I guess they all are!:D

I like that FU-2. I used to have a loco similar to that. It was an EMD F7 cab grafted to a GP40 body. I tossed it out years ago. I've been thinking about making another one.

I like that FU-2. I used to have a loco similar to that. It was an EMD F7 cab grafted to a GP40 body. I tossed it out years ago. I've been thinking about making another one.

Funny, I've still got the original GE cab from the FU-2 job, been toying with the idea of grafting it onto a Hustler cab & body but what would it be?
A Gustler? A Gritter? or a GE-eep???

2 athearn amd103 shells were required for this.
primered. can't find pics showing the mending together.
IMG_0351.png

to this, it was my first shell I had ever stripped. got a little crazy with a razor, hence the gouge marks.
IMG_0003.png

I don't know which one so here's 2003 and there's 5 more like it.
AMR.png

And this GP7 which is a GP9 now color is wrong but it's my RR
112-1260_IMG.png

Now this one gave me the jitters but there's another started that will be much better (I hope)
3765-2.png

Cheers
Willis

One of my best ones would have to be the POTB #101. This photo was taken before i added the number boards. Photos of my other work is on my website.

there is one just like that at a mill of some sorts in Searcy ar. where i use to live . no fuel tank and its an old UP u boat .

Its as RGSfan said, it is a CCRCL, Control Car Remote Control Locomotive, which is a bit of a misnomer, seeing as it has no 'control' in it, only a cab where an belt pack operator can escape the elements (Which UP is discouraging by blanking windows) and 'locomotive', which it is most certainly not. They were built from old UP and SP B30's but Y131 has a B36 body on it for some reason, so I modelled it because I had already glued the RPP grilles to the body to build a BCR B36.

The model is a RPP B36-7 body, Athearn Uboat frame. The fuel tank was removed and 2 pieces of brass L were epoxied in its place. The model also uses:

- smokey valley stanchions
- steel/brass handrail wire
- smokey valley GE hiad sideframes
- athearn B dummy trucks
- details west horn/pilot/mu hoses
- UP armour grey with custom Alps decals.

Alas, this model sold on Ebay last summer...but I do have some decals available if someone is interested...

Here's a pic of the real thing.
UP_CCRCL_Y163.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back