What do you do for a living?

Well, it's the truth. I'm a home-bound disabled veteran. My interest in model railroading and rebuilding 60's and 70's era rolling stock keeps me from going up the wall.

I was going to be a conductor for the W&LE, then I realized I wanted to have a life, and a wife. lol. Am I regretting that I didn't take the job? No, actually. As of now I'm a parts delivery person for Canton Truck Sales & Service Inc. and a part time student at Heavy Equipment operator's school in Reynoldsburg Ohio. My goal is to work for ODOT when I turn 21.

-Jeff

Hi, Mike. I'm a member of Local 60, Morton, IL. We just had one of your (and our) union brothers, from Manitoba, at our local early last month explaining how to sign up for work in Canada. I'm tagged out right now because I'm working at this time. Who knows, maybe we could end up on the same jobsite together! Only been to Ontario back in 2004, but loved it! Looking forward to seeing much more of it.

Bergen County Police dispatcher and 911 telecommunicator. Big department, and we also dispatch for 2 other towns pd/fd/ems on top of our stuff. Answre 911's for 17 towns and every cellular company.

Was promoted to Senior Public Safety Telecommunicator. And now we dispatch for 9 towns and answer 25 town's 911's. oi vey!

Votech trained in auto technologies (grew up fixing and painting cars, and working on a farm) but instead of becoming a tech, wound up writing service then later as service manager for another dealership. Then when the bottom fell out last year, I switched gears. Now a Service Manager for a tractor dealership, I'm seeing even more business now with a bad economy. Folks are dropping the lawn services and doing it themselves. But the still forget to do oil changes, just like they did with thier cars!:D

Update time! Well,that was over a year agowhen I left J.D. and I went back to running a car repair shop again as an ASM for a Kia dealer. This was the
1st time I've worked for an import and let me tell you, no wonder why the domestics got their asses handed to them! :eek: Took 3 months off for having a stroke, but I'm going back next week. :D

Oh, and the "retired conductor" on my avatar is a reference to years ago, when I was a conductor on a dinner/murder mystery train. Worked like a dog,got paid very little, had more fun than you can imagine!:D Pity, the train went belly up!

I still periodicly write articles for the model railroad press. 1 or 2 a year, helps me buy decoders & stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello, i'm too medicaly retired , stay at home dad for a 5 and 6 yr old, volunteer for the salvation army thrift store, i used to be a retail spy, worked for a newspaper, worked at HQ and a whole lot of other jobs

Well, it's the truth. I'm a home-bound disabled veteran. My interest in model railroading and rebuilding 60's and 70's era rolling stock keeps me from going up the wall.

I'm a veteran as well (Army 77-84) although I was lucky to come out with just the usual aches and pains.

Thanks to all the vets and current men and women serving.

The draft for Vietnam was halted 6 weeks before my 18th birthday in 1973.

I blow glass in furnace operations. I design ceramic crucibles for the studio glass industry and am a consulting glass color chemist. I also build 18-30KW electric furnaces for the studio glass industry plus supplying all the parts for servicing them. I used to be the paid chief of the Santa Fe County Fire Department which was about the coolest midlife crisis you could ask for. Things in the art world have been really scary since 2007. The crucibles and electric elements keep things going. The tree farm supplies some income here but the lumber biz is in the tank with the recession so we process some firewood.

Every day is different. I certainly enjoy this board.

Hi, Mike. I'm a member of Local 60, Morton, IL. We just had one of your (and our) union brothers, from Manitoba, at our local early last month explaining how to sign up for work in Canada. I'm tagged out right now because I'm working at this time. Who knows, maybe we could end up on the same jobsite together! Only been to Ontario back in 2004, but loved it! Looking forward to seeing much more of it.

Hi Bob
I worked with some Brothers from Manitoba this year in BC , Had a good time workin with them:), they spoke french and english with a wierd accent. Lots of work in alberta but you got to put up with a real lot of cr%p , bad camps (there are a few good ones) drug test if you cut your finger etc.

I work for a county government administering numerous regional water quality grants. We do sediment reduction work on ranch and logging roads, and assist small community service districts with drinking water systems and wastewater systems....basically everything we do is for salmon.

I owned my own metal and plastic stamping company doing long run/light gage metal and plastic stampings. As well as business owner, I was/am a tool and die maker. Then for 9 years I was a Marine Surveyor; or, boat Inspector, hired by owners buyers and insurance companies to perform vessel inspections for pre-purchase, insurance and damage evaluations. Presently an since 2006, I am employed at a modern CNC Machining company as a Gage Technician, calibrating and repairing micrometers, calipers, Dial Indicators and all other types of precision gaging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from poultry and cattle growing up, I've worked in health care all my adult life for the past twenty two years as a Paramedic and supervisor trying to make a difference in someones lives. There are days I question if I made the right choices for my career, and when I have trouble staying focused I run the trains. Something about seeing a train chase it's tail that just brings back the pleasures and simplicity of life.

All the best,

Kenny Taylor
Cullman, Alabama

30 years as a Registered Nurse. Retired from Nursing in 2002. Have a 3 yr Diploma and a BSN. Prior to retiring, went back to school and obtained a degree in Network Engineering as last years as RN, I was Network Admin for the OR at a major medical university hospital.

100% disabled since 2007.

Back