What are you buying this Month?

This. Ouch
https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic...rn-Pacific-C-2-2-8-0-Unpainted-1982-Run-Daeki

And this:
IMG_4717.jpg

Much bigger OUCH!

Also decals and diaphragms. this actually covers most of my year for purchases. I haven't been buying much at all, but the two models are ones I've been looking for for years. the consolidation with whaleback tender is something I've always wanted. Layout sized steamers can be unobtanium unless you're willing to settle for foobies, which I'm not. The Hamburger grill car is another toughie. A modernized Harriman car used when ridership was falling off and diners were losing money. The full service diners were dropped from some trains and these cars which offered the signature hamburger and fries basket as well as cold sandwiches, ice cream, and snacks were used. another instance of how being prototypically accurate bites you in the A$$ on the wallet side! 🤷‍♂️

Got my first DCC freight locomotive: a Walthers Mainline SD60M BNSF patched Burlington Northern locomotive (also my first six axle locomotive). Quite nice (especially for $70 off) and seems to run very nicely so far. The horn sounds pretty cool!
Awesome looking!

Walthers mainline locomotives are a great value, they use the sane drive as their Proto locomotives, so the run super smooth!

I believe they have switched to ESU boards as well. The last couple I purchased had ESU.

Got my first DCC freight locomotive: a Walthers Mainline SD60M BNSF patched Burlington Northern locomotive (also my first six axle locomotive). Quite nice (especially for $70 off) and seems to run very nicely so far. The horn sounds pretty cool!
View attachment 177893
View attachment 177894
View attachment 177895
Back in the olden days of yore, Walthers offered grabiron kits for their Mainline locomotives. If they still do, it would be a relatively easy project to install them, and dress that engine up further.

Just got and installed a Digitrax SDXH167D sound decoder and their DHWHPS 9 pin to DCC medium plug short harness (1”) in my Bachman Spectrum 4-8-4J the install was plug and play only having to trill one little piece of plastic the sound is just ok and the speaker is weak I'll be swapping out the speaker and uploading a new sound file shortly.
1000006470.jpg

I remember a small Burlington Northern depot from my childhood. They used an EMD NW2 for their switching duties. Here's an old photo I found on the internet

showimage.jpeg

A couple days ago I bought a Burlington Northern EMD SW1 in DC only, so I can sort of recreate this scene.

The SW1 (below) looks similar to the NW2 (above), and it's the closest clone DC loco that I could find for my layout.

bn97-2.jpg

modeltrain_bn_sw1_c.jpg

My dad bought a warehouse model 25+ years ago and never assembled it. The model warehouse has a red brick texture, so it will serve as my BN depot.

PXL_20231130_231654176.jpg

It's not going to be a prototype, but it'll serve my needs well.

Last edited:
This showed up Wednesday. An unexpected find. It's a baggage/dorm car. This particular series of cars were converted from US Army Hospital cars. It will get painted in the UP yellow/gray scheme, with Southern Pacific lettering and be used in my San Francisco Overland. It has decent underbody detail for a brass car. Not so much that it interferes with running ability, but enough to capture the essence.
Baggage Dorm 1.jpg

Baggage Dorm 2.jpg

So I waited a bit to get anything as I went to my first train show last weekend. The DFW Train Show in Plano was quite neat to visit. Didn't buy any trains, but I did buy this nice BNSF sign to hang above the layout in the garage:
BNSF Heritage.jpg

Did want to get something since I didn't find anything that really stood out to me at the show, so got some more high cube boxcars and stayed with the BNSF theme. Can't wait to run on the layout tomorrow!
IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

You are correct sir. Nickname of the Fort Worth & Denver.
Ok cool. That makes it all fit. For those that don't know The NP and GN jointly owned CB&Q which in turn owned the Colorado Southern which in turn owned the Forth Worth and Denver. An old Texas law that stated a railroad operating in Texas had to be Incorporated in Texas. Hence all the different sounding names for railroads in Texas. The name changed as the rail crossed the state line.

Back