What are you buying this Month?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Thought it might be interesting to see what people are buying for their layouts each month and to maybe use the thread to learn about different items and so forth. Perhaps show people some things they may have never known about or considered buying. Pictures are a must of course ;)

As I have just gotten back into the hobby, I had to catch up on a few things, not the least being:

0TmZVMY.png

XjTHw61.jpg

A few Laser Cut Kits, new Deluxe Laser Cut Adhesives along with some minor stuff as well.

I buy a few things monthly. I like to churn the roster’s rolling stock. What I take off the layout I will try to sell online. It is part of the joy of model railroading for me.

I model HO.

February, the main search is the Walthers Mainline or Gold series of pulpwood cars.
D30647A7-4A68-4B2E-9D59-621FF013ED0C.jpeg

I have purchased 15 but have only received 6. I have a tracking number for the other nine but they seem to be lost traveling the USPS this month. Last Friday the tracking system showed them in Chicago for like the 3rd time. Now the tracking says “ in the system”. The seller is frustrated enough that he is ready to refund me so I can move on. I would like 8-12 for the layout. I can always weather and sell any overage.

There is a nice 2 day train show in Madison Wi, next weekend the18th and 19th. I will create a list of rolling stock I am interested in and a price point I am willing to buy at.

Thought it might be interesting to see what people are buying for their layouts each month and to maybe use the thread to learn about different items and so forth. Perhaps show people some things they may have never known about or considered buying. Pictures are a must of course ;)

As I have just gotten back into the hobby, I had to catch up on a few things, not the least being:

0TmZVMY.png

XjTHw61.jpg

A few Laser Cut Kits, new Deluxe Laser Cut Adhesives along with some minor stuff as well.
Tony what scale do you model in?

The steam engine and the passenger cars? Are those what you are looking for, do you want to share the brands?

Tony what scale do you model in?

The steam engine and the passenger cars? Are those what you are looking for, do you want to share the brands?
I'm pretty sure that's N Scale. Those passenger cars look like Micro-Trains. I do a little bit of N scale and those look like the way Micro-Trains photographs their product, also the couplers look like N Scale as well.

Just bought these for $30 including shipping. I was a little surprised at the $20 buy now for these. They look real good to me and as I'm trying keep my layout small with 30" radius curves, this is perfect for me. I got no information about them and won't be surprised if the engine needs work. They are in the mail so I don't know any details yet.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 83
Well there's that IT Caboose from Tangent. Some Pan Pastels i wanted. I'm waiting on the Rapido SP Overnight boxcars to show up at my LHS. Not much else. I've kind of plateaued when it comes to buying things, unless some unspecified shiny object shows up that grabs my attention. Like that caboose! 😁 SQUIRREL!!! 🤣

Well there's that IT Caboose from Tangent. Some Pan Pastels i wanted. I'm waiting on the Rapido SP Overnight boxcars to show up at my LHS. Not much else. I've kind of plateaued when it comes to buying things, unless some unspecified shiny object shows up that grabs my attention. Like that caboose! 😁 SQUIRREL!!! 🤣
I 1st saw those Tangent Caboose at Trainfest. They are spectacular. If I was going to start collecting, I would start with the caboose. Lots of great models out there but I would have a 1st preference for the transfer caboose.

Bought some things that might interest you, actually. Not because you brought it up--it's just a coincidence.
I unearthed a few unfinished HO structures/buildings I had scratch-built many years back, and I've been working out how to redo them in N-scale.
So I bought some shingle material--20lb black bond paper. A 21lb box (!) for $15 off Amazon*, and a pair of small size pinking shears.
The shingled roof I had built for the south end of a former furniture construction company turned auto repair garage used vellum, cut with conventional pinking shears. Diamond pattern shingles, much like your chain-link fencing I suppose....
Anyhow, it turns out you can buy small pinking shears, which give a diamond 3mm long x 2mm high. Maybe ten percent too large compared to the HO shingles, but I can live with it.
Plus...with black paper, the edge of the shingles will be black, just like asphalt. A detail my tired old eyes probably can't see without magnification, truth be told, but which might still win me a building contest now and then.

[* If I ever go into the model shingle making business, I'll have enough paper to last me until about the time Kirk and Spock are starting off on their five year mission....]

IMPORTANT EDIT, Re: The small pinking shears vs. the "regular" shears: I didn't say it well, but the small pinking shears cut a diagonal pattern suitable for N-scale--3mm x 2mm, while the classic regular size (larger size) shears cut a pattern suitable for HO. So when I say the N-scale shingles come out about ten percent larger than do the HO shingles, I properly mean to say the N-scale shingles come out about ten percent larger FOR THEIR SCALE, if cut with the SMALL shears, than do the HO shingles when cut with THEIR SCALE normal size shears. With shears sized for HO scale. Rather an important detail I failed to clarify the first time. Doh!

Last edited:

Back