What are you buying this Month?

It's hard to buy track when you can get more boxcars (although I have some track on the way too). Got a couple TTX modern 60ft boxcars from YankeeDabbler. Forget who recommended them, but thank you!

Attachments

• TTX TBOX 661025 6-2023.jpg
    TTX TBOX 661025 6-2023.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 47
  • TTX TBOX 663173 6-2023.jpg
    TTX TBOX 663173 6-2023.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 52
A few weeks ago I purchased a few bowser brass box cars from my local model train shop. They needed to be assemble. I completed the first one. It is not perfect by no means, but for my first build I’m happy with it. One down 4 more to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpeg
    IMG_0316.jpeg
    567.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    649.6 KB · Views: 48
I won a Graham Farish A4 Mallard in garter blue in an auction. I managed to get it for 72ish Euros (going rate seems to be maybe 65-100 for a DC model that can be converted to DCC?? (at least that is what i get from scoping CM value on ebay "buy now"s and quick opening bids).
Dunno what it will be like as it is "Used in excellent condition with box" from a 95% reputable seller. Ill take my chances there lol... cos i want one!.
Looking forward to steaming it up :)

Last edited:
I was passing my local model shop and although I wasn't looking to buy anything I called in. I know it can be 'fatal', but I can walk out without buying.
Anyway, whilst having a look around I noticed a Musgrave, Armley wagon. Armley is a district in Leeds and near Kirkstall. As Kirkstall & East Seacroft Railway runs through Armley before arriving at Leeds Sovereign Street a purchase had to be made.

IMG_2724.JPG

David

Oh the joys of research.

The East & West Yorkshire Union Railway began building a railway to connect with the Hull & Barnsley Railway into Leeds.
It was doomed to fail as it ran out of money as soon as work began. The line did get built from Lofthouse to Stourton (about 10 miles in length) The Company did buy some old carriages from the Midland Railway.

Somehow the Company survived until 1923, becoming part of the London & North Eastern Railway. The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway had running rights along the line.

The line finally closed in 1966.

As mentioned the Company bought some carriages from the Midland Railway. Two carriages were similar to Bachmann's 'Henrietta' (Thomas the Tank range). Those carriages were purchased by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway for a nominal sum.

Therefore two 'Henrietta' carriages have been purchased and repainted in L&YR colours. They need another coat of paint

One carriage - as bought

IMG_2726.JPG

First coat of paint.

IMG_2733.JPG

David

I just looked up the Henrietta and found a Bachmann. In the details it said this " international-style hook-and-loop couplers.". Sounds like Velcro to me but from the pics I think they are horn hook.

Well I pulled the trigger on my birthday present today.........birthday was last month.

This is the HiTorque 6500 from Little Machine Shop. I ordered some ER collets from them also

The vise is from Precision Mathews along with a R8, ER-40 collet holder and some milling bits.

Should be here by Friday of next week.

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 16-41-53 HiTorque Bench Mill 6500.png
Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 16-44-28 Milling Vises – Precision Matthews Machinery Co.png

Just track...#5 turnouts and some connector pieces. Looking forward to buying some more rolling stock next month ;)

Attachments

• turnouts.jpg
    turnouts.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 40
I bought a helix kit from Trackside Scenery. It cost a little more than a sound equipped engine and my hobby time is limited this will help me get a last major track element installed.

I need to connect the top in photo 1, to the bottom photo 2 which is about a 10 1/2 inch elevation change. The kit is show in photo 3 which was laser cut from Gator board and will go almost 3 times around at a grade of 1.73% and radius of 34"
PHOTO_20230616_173406 (1).jpg
PHOTO_20230616_173249 (1).jpg
PHOTO_20230715_100138.jpg

I bought a helix kit from Trackside Scenery. It cost a little more than a sound equipped engine and my hobby time is limited this will help me get a last major track element installed.

I need to connect the top in photo 1, to the bottom photo 2 which is about a 10 1/2 inch elevation change. The kit is show in photo 3 which was laser cut from Gator board and will go almost 3 times around at a grade of 1.73% and radius of 34"View attachment 171739View attachment 171740View attachment 171741
Jim, looks interesting. Keep us updated as I had thought about buying one from Joey Ricard too. Love his backgrounds

Joey used prefab track but I don't think there is any in 34" radius so I'll be using Atlas code 100 flex track installed on that centerline. I wanted to use the widest radius possible for the space because I plan to run a lot of long rolling stock such as 89' TOFC or autoracks etc. Joey's prefab comes in radius's up to 36". I'm going to see if I can find some very skinny screws that will fit in the holes in the Atlas track to secure it down that centerline.

I don't think the helix has any vertical easements so I'm going to take care of that myself so that I can go from 0% grade to 1.73% with a couple of intermediate grades at the top and bottom.

Joey recommends super glue to attach the deck sections together so I have some coming later this week so that should go fairly quickly.

One advantage of the gator board is it's thin so you can get a more gentle grade vs plywood, or even sandwiched luan.

Of course you could build a helix for much less cost by going with raw materials. My wife saw went with me to the Timonium Train show and Joey was there and she was so impressed she said I should get one of their kits. Mine was about $299 before tax and shipping but if you go with the 24"R helix, there are only 8 deck sections and the cost would be considerably less. But since I went with one of the broadest radius kits, those take 12 deck sections per 360 turn. The PDF guide has a table which shows how many inches are gained per turn depending on radius and grade.

Last edited:

Back