What are you buying this Month?

@ Hutch. Do be aware typical US cork roadbed, particularly in N-scale--I'm referring to the roadbed cut by Midwest--might not be quite symmetrical in profile. One side might have a steeper angle cut "off" re: the centerline, which would make the other side have a smoother and shallower cut off the centerline. I, myself would use the shallower side--I would separate two sides and take the the two sides shallow cut sides more for use along the mainline and would swap them out for the steeper cut sections. I would use the more "crude," steeper sidewall cut sections along both sides of the roadbed section for sidings and spurs.

Just an idea....
Does it matter after you put down the ballast? I'm trying to put the best side towards me at least.

Does it matter after you put down the ballast? I'm trying to put the best side towards me at least.

When you put it that way - nope, not really if the sides are covered. One of the things that has always annoyed me about Midwest Cork is how it is joined down its length and needs to be separated. Don't know about anyone else, but when I separate it one side ALWAYS is a bit ragged and does not seem to separate cleanly - that is the side I face inwards, even though I will be covering it with ballast :)

If anyone has any ideas on how to Cleanly separate the two halves, I'm all ears :)

I could probably make jig to that, but I don't think it matters after ballasting, though I've never done that

When you put it that way - nope, not really if the sides are covered. One of the things that has always annoyed me about Midwest Cork is how it is joined down its length and needs to be separated. Don't know about anyone else, but when I separate it one side ALWAYS is a bit ragged and does not seem to separate cleanly - that is the side I face inwards, even though I will be covering it with ballast :)

If anyone has any ideas on how to Cleanly separate the two halves, I'm all ears :)
You have cork roadbed in two halves, never seen or heard of it till it was mentioned here, I suppose that makes curves a lot easier to do tho'

@Smudge617

Yep we do and yes your right, having it in two halves makes doing curves a lot easier :)

How it comes:

xsvoZWj.jpg

Separated:

VXtZC6m.jpg

Bevelling:

VvsfUE8.jpg

w2YdhI4.jpg

Tony:
midwestcork.jpg

Looks like the beveled edges are the ones tied together? Can you bend them 180 degrees first, then separate? If not, xacto knife work? Probably will dull the blade dang fast. They do look pretty ragged but after applying ballast it should not matter. Heck, all the edges look pretty ragged!

Later

Yep, your right - the photo's do make the look worse than they are BUT, as has been said - if it's all going to be covered in ballast - who cares after all, the beveling is only there to give us an angle for the ballast right? ?? 😊

Yep, your right - the photo's do make the look worse than they are BUT, as has been said - if it's all going to be covered in ballast - who cares after all, the beveling is only there to give us an angle for the ballast right? ?? 😊
They are pretty ragged, enen in Ho scalw. I bend it in half first, then tear it apart,

Then run my surform tool down the sides to clean it up. only takes a couple of swipes to get the nice bevel edge.

1685818173751.png

I got them but it wasn't easy. The girl tried to up the price on me mid way through my purchase. I wasn't paying attention and now she owes me 5 bucks. Promised to put it in the box. Uh huh.

This is just a bunch of different box cars and such. 32.50 with shipping. Seems like it may be a good deal but we'll have to wait and see.

Screenshot_20230604_045903_Facebook.jpg

Heck I just need something to haul around with my 5 or 6 engines. I keep looking for deals like this to give me plenty of things to pull without breaking the bank. Eventually I plan to buy much better ones one or 2 at a time after I'm up and running.

I'm looking for an On30 set to come up. I think I might prefer that for my Christmas layout.

I got them but it wasn't easy. The girl tried to up the price on me mid way through my purchase. I wasn't paying attention and now she owes me 5 bucks. Promised to put it in the box. Uh huh.

This is just a bunch of different box cars and such. 32.50 with shipping. Seems like it may be a good deal but we'll have to wait and see.

View attachment 169415
Look's like a nice selection, you should enjoy running those, but if they have plastic wheels, you may want to consider changing them out for metal ones.

Heck I just need something to haul around with my 5 or 6 engines. I keep looking for deals like this to give me plenty of things to pull without breaking the bank. Eventually I plan to buy much better ones one or 2 at a time after I'm up and running.

I'm looking for an On30 set to come up. I think I might prefer that for my Christmas layout.
Hutch: You have a LHS near, or train show(s) close? In the LHS, find the consignment table as most of the time you can offer on multiple items and get a pretty good deal. Sometimes the LHS has stock that has been sitting for awhile and wants it gone. Fill your basket with wanted stuff and make an offer. Train shows most of the time are even better when it comes to multiple items and offers.

Later

Back