What are you buying this Month?

I feel your pain, I pre ordered an engine almost a year ago which isn't expected until August.

I like that gondola. Same thing is on my list :)
PMW,
First, thank you about the gondola. I'm happy to have put it on my list and finally gotten one.

Second, I guess it's something I'll have to get used to if I keep doing pre-orders. But I think it'll be worth the wait.

Looks like my big purchase for the month will be roadbed. I wanted to buy some today but the local shops are closed on Mondays. I tried Hobby Lobby, as much to my surprise, I saw that they carry some train stuff. No luck there. I guess I'll shop tomorrow. Foam or cork, that's the big question. I prefer the shops because there's no shipping and shipping for a box of cork is like $20. Foam is probably cheaper as it's lighter.

I finally came across one of my rainbow unicorns... an N scale locomotive decorated in Ohio Central from the factory. A grand total of 3 N-scale locomotives have been produced painted in Ohio Central's Maroon, yellow and gray color scheme:

Atlas C420, which I was lucky to find about a year ago.
Atlas GP35, which I just found
Intermountain F7-A (I have no interest in an F7)

I snatched up the GP35 at a premium... I've been looking for one for a good 2 years, then... all of a sudden, 3 come up on eBay within a few weeks of each other. I was outbid on the first 2, but got lucky on the third one.

I'm on the pre-order list for Intermountain' s Tunnel Motor... who knows when (if) they will ever produce those.

Looks like my big purchase for the month will be roadbed. I wanted to buy some today but the local shops are closed on Mondays. I tried Hobby Lobby, as much to my surprise, I saw that they carry some train stuff. No luck there. I guess I'll shop tomorrow. Foam or cork, that's the big question. I prefer the shops because there's no shipping and shipping for a box of cork is like $20. Foam is probably cheaper as it's lighter.
Alrighty then. I got the cork roadbed from the local hobby shop AA Hobbies" for less than online because of shipping fees. He doesn't charge shipping fees, yay!!!!!!!

As i am collecting iconic fast trains of history i was hoping to snag an A4 Mallard (or A4 Seagull that replaced it.. both in fact) The mallard aparently still holds the not since beaten Steam speed record of 126 MPH / 203KPH.
I am also on the look out for an N scale A1 Flying Scotsman (the first to recordedly break the +100MPH speed).
Although i think i am all spent on trains for one month lol. Maybe next month :D

Last edited:
Reactions: PMW
As i am collecting iconic fast trains of history i was hoping to snag an A4 Mallard (or A4 Seagull that replaced it.. both in fact) The mallard aparently still holds the not since beaten Steam speed record of 126 MPH / 203KPH.
I am also on the look out for an N scale A1 Flying Scotsman (the first to recordedly break the +100MPH speed).
Although i think i am all spent on trains for one month lol. Maybe next month :D

As for an A1 Seagull, you may have to get the A1 Tornado and renumber it to Seagull, you can get the Seagull nameplate seperately.

Last edited:

As for an A1 Seagull, you may have to get the A1 Tornado and renumber it to Seagull, you can get the Seagull nameplate seperately.
I think the A4s (seagul/mallard) were of the same primary design, not sure of what exactly the differences were.
But i think the tornado was more like the flying scotsman (although there were many of them, but i mean the one that broke the 100mph record). If you mean that then that could pass? ..edit not sure now... (unless it is a scrupulous eye 🧐.. which i certainly am not)
It would be nice to have the whole AX set to be honest.

Last edited:

To be precice it is the The LNER Class A3 4472 Flying Scotsman I wanna get hold of, I said A1 before but i was mistaken :)
(but mallard first!)

Last edited:
Those would certainly fit in your collection! I'm in the same boat...won't be spending anymore this month :)

Looking forward to posting something cool here in August though... a pre order is expected in

99% sure the first one will be this newest 3D printer, the 12K Anycubic Photon Mono m5s. Early bird pricing just $399 (!) until May 25, vs. $539 thereafter. I paid almost double that for my 4K Anycubic Mono X a couple years back, so at this price it's just a steal x 2. Horizontal micron resolution of 19 microns--well, at a 12K it ought to be that small.

I can barely see the logos on my N scale locomotives any more, so that should be enough. I'll probably buy a few other bundle items too, like the 12K resin, etc.

[Disclaimer: Well, actually there isn't one, because I have no connection at all to Anycubic, don't do reviews or get perks, etc. I'm sure they've never heard of me]

Followup. I just did pull the trigger on this. It won't arrive until the end of July, but I'm so swamped I might not even see it sitting on the porch for a week after that.

Last edited:
I think the A4s (seagul/mallard) were of the same primary design, not sure of what exactly the differences were.
But i think the tornado was more like the flying scotsman (although there were many of them, but i mean the one that broke the 100mph record). If you mean that then that could pass? ..edit not sure now... (unless it is a scrupulous eye 🧐.. which i certainly am not)
Apart from obviously the body styling the only real difference between an A1 and a A4 is boiler pressure, A1's were maxed at 180psi, A4's 220psi.

Scotsman has had in total, 5 different numbers re'-numbered 4472 in 1924, her original number was 1472 when she was built in 1923.

Last edited:
You should check out Marklin's website for N scale locomotives as well.

They've just brought out a new DCC Scotsman, with sound and Lights, which no one else has done, Hornby is only DCC ready :( not sure if there's a N scale version, unfortunately it's in BR Green. :(

Last edited:
You should check out Marklin's website for N scale locomotives as well.

They've just brought out a new DCC Scotsman, with sound and Lights, which no one else has done, Hornby is only DCC ready :( not sure if there's a N scale version, unfortunately it's in BR Green. :(
Ah i will, did not think Marklin made N only Z (at least the mini stuff under that branding), good to know. Thanks :)

Alrighty then. I got the cork roadbed from the local hobby shop AA Hobbies" for less than online because of shipping fees. He doesn't charge shipping fees, yay!!!!!!!
@ Hutch. Do be aware typical US cork roadbed, particularly in N-scale--I'm referring to the roadbed cut by Midwest--might not be quite symmetrical in profile. One side might have a steeper angle cut "off" re: the centerline, which would make the other side have a smoother and shallower cut off the centerline. I, myself would use the shallower side--I would separate two sides and take the the two sides shallow cut sides more for use along the mainline and would swap them out for the steeper cut sections. I would use the more "crude," steeper sidewall cut sections along both sides of the roadbed section for sidings and spurs.

Just an idea....

I'm ordering this from Oxford Models, when it arrives.
Buick Special Convertible (junkyard edition)

1685714961848.png

These two I've bought.

1942 Chrysler T&C Woody Wagon.

1685715201850.png

1949 Mercury Coupe Hot Rod.

1685715332912.png

Back