Weekly Photo Fun 8-6/8-12

Ian - I love your little vinettes (if that's a word) Station detail is amazing! What scale is that?

P1011217.jpg

Here is a 0-8-0 switcher I bought awhile back, and had converted to DCC. It's good to finally have this one join the fleet on the layout.
SANY3585_30.png

More great stuff from everyone. Corey, great looking trees. Thanks for sharing
I've been working on my waterfront, including the bridge I was asking for ideas for a while back. I've included one shot from last December to show how much the same area has changed, hopefully for the better!

A few more including my more detailed Marshall Fields Store and new bridge house. It started life as an Atlas gate house.

Gary. Is that bridge thats being operated by the atlas gate house a commercial kit?

Gary. Is that bridge thats being operated by the atlas gate house a commercial kit?

It's a couple of these,

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/433-8207

actually more like 1 1/2, back to back

I just substituted some plastic sheet for track and made it a road.

I still have no idea how a gate house fits in on a stationary span, but it looks cool and in my book that what counts. I thought of putting a gate and making it a toll bidge.

Jeffrey, nice use for a scrap tank car.

Mike, that's a cool 0-8-0. Looks like maybe an AHM model? Now you just have to figure out a way to mount a Kadee couple to the front pilot. :)

Gary, a toll collector/watchman's shack makes perfect sense. Most early auto bridges were toll bridges, and the toll collector did double duty as a watchman, making sure no one was climbing around on the company's property. It was also common to have only one toll collector, and to collect tolls on traffic going only one way. This didn't tie up traffic as much as two toll gates, and the bridge owners figured people who went across in one direction would eventually come back in the other direction. Just double the toll collected and reduce the amount of manpower needed to collect the fees. The same system is used on most toll bridges in California today, the Golden Gate and Bay Bridge being two prominent examples that come to mind.

Jeffrey, nice use for a scrap tank car.
Thanks. There must be something about it that others like because I've been getting a lot of emails from people who want to copy it. It's very simple to do. The base and ladder are from the Nathan's Oil Company kit and the tank is from a Bachmann Gramps tank car. The tank is however a little larger that the one that comes with Nathan's Oil Company kit so the supports have to be filed down a little.

Back