Weekly Photo Fun 8-6/8-12

DJ.... You did it again!

Beautiful in all respects. Those RS Alcos are some of my favorite diseasals....;)

Love it!

Wow, I can't get enough of the variety of modeling that shows up in the thread every week. Nice.

If you ever get the chance to fan the ole Ripp Bros. circus winterquarters here's some of what you might see. the grounds are used as a museum/graveyard of sort and all sorts of equipment shows up here. Not always showtrain stuff, but general castaways as well.

Here, some RBBB cars are hoping to find a home with some sort of roof. These are 'relatively' newer cars, with use as late as 1974. But this where it all starts to go downhill. With no money for storage and/or restoration, well we've seen it too many times....

As a side note, these cars were surplus WWII army-hospital cars. The Ringlings acquired them in 1947 and for the first year were painted red with silver lettering. There after, varying graphics, but always silver in color.

RippTrakShops003.jpg

At one time, this company car most likely brought fabricated parts for wagon chassis and the like to the army of workers once employed here during the winter months. Now, a captive of the grounds, it see good care and provides storage for the volunteers that now work the grounds.

RippTrakShops019.jpg

A parade is held annually and many wagons have been refurbished for the event. You can rest assured more restored gems are on the way...

RippTrakShops012-1.jpg

Johnny

Lester...... I no longer work on any day that ends in Y! :rolleyes:;)

Spent part of the day actually accomplishing some stuff on the Bare Mountain renovation. Aka: The quarry scene. Carved the sides of the deep part of the quarry and put on a wash of "rock" stain. Took a couple photos to share:

QuarryRockWalls02w.png

QuarryRockWalls01w.png

The photos at the top of my photos are ones I borrowed online at a college site that uses the quarry for a NYS geology class. What you see is just the first wash of color after the carving. I will be adding some washes of darker colors to try and match the stone from the quarry.

Still have a long way to go with the scene, but it is a start.....

You fellas sure know how to put on a show! :) Wow!

I show Seneca Yard with a distant train still on a switchback approaching the Yard. It will be another 10 minutes or so getting out of the highland, across the trestle, and reversing toward Seneca. Closer, a mighty H-8 awaits its next assignment. It will take the approaching train joined to one out of the photo to the right, further into the yard, toward destinations east.

C-turntable.png

-Crandell

Caught these two SD70's in town yesterday.

P1011197.jpg

P1011201.jpg

I dug these up last night. They were taken a little over two years ago. I could get around better then than I can now. My neighbors then 15 year old son was on the camera. The subject is an abandoned Southern Belle baggage car that was used in MoW service by the KCS some years ago. It's been just sitting for many years on a stretch of abandoned light weight track.

P1010059.jpg

P1010080.jpg

P1010105.jpg

P1010082.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

Nice pictures everyone. I've been making trees for quite some time now. Though it feels like I haven't gotten anywhere, I've made over 115 of these dang things! I only have like 100 to go!:)Here are a few progress shots.

Hillside004.png

Treeprogress019.png

Treeprogress015.png

Treeprogress010.png

And one from the other side of the layout.

Treeprogress023-1.png

Corey, tree's do take a long time to make. Your's look real good. Takes a lot to cover a small space. I made 80 about 2 weeks ago & installed them on my layout & it doesn't look like I've made a dent in the terraine. I ordered a bunch of flock the other day to do about another 150 & maybe that will be enough. Did you use the tree armatures & then do your own covering or all made by hand?

Johnny, I had to look about three times before I realized those were models and not prototype photos. Excellent work and photography.

DJ, that's a different bit of lighting. How did you get that effect?

Ray, good start on that quarry. You're right about that photo, a little more exposure really does bring out the details from the shadows. Amazing the detail that a digital camera holds that most of us never see.

Crandell, nice scene, but is that water I see in the turntable pit? If so, good eye and good job. I think I've seen water in the bottom of almost every turntable pit I've seen but I don't think I've ever seen it modeled.

Jeffrey, I remember those pictures. Is that car still there? That is some serious 1:1 scale weathering.

HO, hate to nitpick, but Oppenheimer just repeated that line from the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu was supposedly the original author.

Larry,
I used scenic express super trees. On my first layout I tried to use sedum from the garden. After seeing the results in hindsight, I told myself that I would spend the money on good trees for this layout. I used woodland scenics coarse ground foam for the flocking. I guess I used a little noch leaves as well. My mistake is using too dark a brown spray paint for the supertrees. Too late now.:D

Corey, those Super Trees look great.
Ray, great start to your quarry.
Crandell, very nice tt scene.
Jim, another of my low tech lighting experiments. A single 60W Reveal bulb in an aluminum reflector, with some blue plastic from a light weight poncho covering the reflector. I kinda like the effect. DJ.

came across these two southern Caboose on my way around ashville nc, just thought share....
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry,
I used scenic express super trees. On my first layout I tried to use sedum from the garden. After seeing the results in hindsight, I told myself that I would spend the money on good trees for this layout. I used woodland scenics coarse ground foam for the flocking. I guess I used a little noch leaves as well. My mistake is using too dark a brown spray paint for the supertrees. Too late now.:D

Corey, I used the same thing to make my tree's. I ordered 2 more bags of the tree sprues & 3 of the 64oz. course flocks.:D

Did a couple more coats of the stain wash on the quarry tonight. Starting to look like I want it I think. One thing I have found from the photos around of the local limestone, is there is a wide variety in the rock layers for color. THAT happens as the rock is laid down as sediment. The color is very dependent on what materials were being deposited along with the remains of the little shelled creatures THAT make up the limestone and the colors form a very distinct band. The little thingy in front of the photo of the quarry I am loosely using as the Prototype is a stone from the quarry itself. Anyway I got a couple of shots of how it looked as a of few minutes ago:

QuarryRockWalls03w.png

QuarryRockWalls04w.png

Jim, thanks, and yes it is water...a two-part epoxy poured over pre-painted pit bottom. I mixed burnt umber and black and painted the interior of the pit, walls and floor, with this heavy wash. Most of it ran down toward the pivot, naturally, and I figured however it ended up when dried, that would be the extent of my oily water.

-Crandell

Back