Weekly Photo Fun 11-06/11-12

Jeffrey, that poor thing looks like it's been through a war. :) Can't beat those old Athearn F's with the giant weights though. I've still got one and it'll pull every car I own.

My three new Gramps single dome tank cars came in today. Photos later. Right now they're too clean and shiny. Can't be having that.

I've found a home for my coaling tower.
P1020507.jpg

added a water tower
P1020508.jpg

Figured I'd share the new MTH Loco I picked up today. Overall, I'm very happy with it although a little bummed that the rear coupler is not set at the correct height. And with it being MTH's automatic couplers, I don't know what to do about it. There's nothing I can find online and nothing in the manual, so I'm going to see what MTH has to say about it tomorrow.

Anyway... The pics.

However, I think overall I like the sound in my Paragon2 AC6000 better, but the detail of the MTH is overall better IMO. Not that the the Paragon2 is shabby at all in the detail dept.

Wow... a unit without plows and with "fat" ditches. That's why I am holding tilll Athearn sends theirs off. Plus, the MTH FEC model is horrible. :mad: Either way, good buy. :)

Figured I'd share the new MTH Loco I picked up today. Overall, I'm very happy with it although a little bummed that the rear coupler is not set at the correct height. And with it being MTH's automatic couplers, I don't know what to do about it. There's nothing I can find online and nothing in the manual, so I'm going to see what MTH has to say about it tomorrow.

Anyway... The pics.

However, I think overall I like the sound in my Paragon2 AC6000 better, but the detail of the MTH is overall better IMO. Not that the the Paragon2 is shabby at all in the detail dept.
Not bad looking, I have yet to break the bank and buy one to check it out.

Jeffrey, that poor thing looks like it's been through a war. :) Can't beat those old Athearn F's with the giant weights though. I've still got one and it'll pull every car I own.
That's one of a mu'd pair that pulled my heaviest train before I got my pair of SDP40F's. Now they're taking a well deserved rest in the display rack.

Not bad looking, I have yet to break the bank and buy one to check it out.

Yeah, I'm very happy with the engine. I will buy more. I love the fan grills on top and the overall detail is good. People are making a big deal about how big the ditch light boxes look and how big the couplers look, but I think the picture is a bit misleading. So far, I haven't noticed anything that I'd want to do with it that I can't as far as DCC goes. So I'm sure that's fine, although I've heard consisting can be a pain. Couplers and everything else I use work as I'd expect. I live not to far from DCC Train and they said things worked as expected however they had trouble programming it. I haven't tried programming any cv's yet.

Here's one of my oldest Athearn locos. The center axle was removed from both trucks so it could better negotiate #4 turnouts without slowing down. I've had this unit since 1996. It runs quite well even though it's DCC control is a bit primitive as it's hard wired with a Bachmann EZ decoder stripped from a Bachmann DCC OnBoard GP35. It's permanently mu'd to an Athearn PB2 which has the same type of decoder, this one from a Bachmann F7.
DSCN2197.jpg

With that critter around the layout should be relatively pest free. A large wolf spider performs pest eradication duties on mine. It resides in the Knutsville station.

Alas, at least two arachnids are fossilizing in places inside my ground goop placed when I was forming the terrain on my layout. Their aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, grandparents, and a whole bunch of friends have since come by asking about the funeral arrangements.

The mail is so slow! :rolleyes:

-Crandell

Folks, I think we have the beginning of a sci-fi film in the making.
"The Terror of The Tracks" would be the name, film it in black and white of course, and make sure the railroad delivers a flat car with a special gun in place to take out the varmit, just as all hope is lost.

That's an everyday thing on my layout. Lizards in Green, Brown & Black. The long black one's w/the red stripes are the strongest. They can derail a large diesel w/ease. They also like to ride in open boxcars. They also like to push cars & semi's around on my layout. Also, they leave a mess in the tunnel at nite. takes a shop vac to clean up about once a week. The mice I had were trapped & don't have that problem anymore or yet.

I've got the tank cars back together and on the layout. These things have been around a while and look like it. Check out the reporting marks. 1937?

DSCN2201.jpg

DSCN2202.jpg

DSCN2203.jpg

Back