WeekendPhotoFun Jan 11 12 13

Okay so I have become addicted to LEDs !!!

Latest projects thanks to a visit to my local electronics store, where I purchased 1 3v flashing blue LED and 2 3V bicolour (red/green) LEDs any ideas what is coming next .....

The flashing blue is now in the police car (it was fun trying to get a picture showing the on cycle of the flash !)

1001083.jpg

1001084.jpg

The bicolour have been used as an experiment in ground colour light signals, with three contacts (common/red/green) the signals can show red or green from the single lamp. Yes I know they are not prototypical but having tried to get my head round the mass of signals I would need for this junctio area I decided to go for modelmakers licence

Off (no power)
100108.jpg

On (red powered)
1001081.jpg

The second signal is one line forward
1001082.jpg

Final update I have just finished a truck I have built / painted from a knightwing kit

1001085.jpg

John
RJR

Recent work. Bachmann Spectrum Dash 8-40CW. VERY nice unit, might have to pick up up for myself.

Responding to johntealon30--maybe dwarf signals aren't prototypical in Britain, but they're common in America. Sorry, the model is from a previous weekend!

Nice lights JohnT on the police car and track ,Nice photo and light work on the model and proto JonP , Josh that looks like a nice locomotive .Really good start to the weekend !

(UK)John, with 3 lead bi-color LED's you can get three colors.
If you have a diverging route and want a yellow to show thrown (facing points) then wire to have the color for the normal Turnout set "on" all the time. When you change the set of the turnout and add the other color, it will be yellow, e.g. green on all the time...turnout thrown (diverge) adds red...result=yellow. How: Just hardwire the "on" color to power and hook other color to the switch. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working on my tourist train last night and discovered that my flat black and flat white both had dried up on me. I hate it when that happens. I went to Wal-Mart to get more and found to my great surprise that they had deleted the entire modeling section. Models, paint, cement, brushes, airbrushes, everything, gone! The excuse is that there wasn't enough being sold to warrant stocking the items. I had to settle for flat black and flat white in rattle cans, meaning that I had to do a load of masking before I could do any painting. The models came out good enough, considering. I still have to fine sand them and design some decals. I'll have to find another supply of decal paper since that went the way of the DO-Do thanks to Wal-Mart's brilliant decision. They're not my favorite people right now.

P1010041.jpg

P1010043.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

I was working on my tourist train last night and discovered that my flat black and flat white both had dried up on me. I hate it when that happens. I went to Wal-Mart to get more and found to my great surprise that they had deleted the entire modeling section. Models, paint, cement, brushes, airbrushes, everything, gone! The excuse is that there wasn't enough being sold to warrant stocking the items. I had to settle for flat black and flat white in rattle cans, meaning that I had to do a load of masking before I could do any painting. The models came out good enough, considering. I still have to fine sand them and design some decals. I'll have to find another supply of decal paper since that went the way of the DO-Do thanks to Wal-Mart's brilliant decision. They're not my favorite people right now.
That looks pretty nice Jeffrey. My Wal*mart still has a model section, wonder if thats a whole Wal*mart thing, or just your store? If its ll of them, the paints should go on sale, which means I can stock up again.

Jeffrey, if ever you needed an excuse to spend money on trains ... "Im keeping the shop in business !!!"

Bob cracking picture.

John

John
Cool set of shots with the lights!

Josh
That is a sweet looking loco!

John T
Neat signals!

Jerome
Nice job playing around!

Jeffery
Great job on the tourist train!

Bob
That is one cool shot!

Since I have not been able to get any modeling photos I decided to look through some of my railfan photos I had scanned. These are from the late 80’s and early 90’s

chessie_amos.jpg

EB Chessie Train on the Philadelphia Subdivision approaching Amosland Road, Holmes, PA

B_O_at_amosland.jpg

WB B&O loco on the Philadelphia Subdivision crossing Amosland Road, Holmes, PA

rf_p_3.jpg

WB Orange Blossom Special about to cross Ashland Avenue, Glenolden, PA

Conrail_e8_edit.jpg

SB Conrail E8 at Chester, PA

I am hoping to get some of the cars I have been working on finished shortly and then I should have some new modeling photos.

Some of you fellas have been busy. :D

Here is a new way of looking at my layout, and also my newest lady friend, a N&W Y6b. Magnificent locomotive, and great model from PCM. Here she is shoving a coal cut up a 3% grade.

IMG_1648cadjbw.JPG

Recent work. Bachmann Spectrum Dash 8-40CW. VERY nice unit, might have to pick up up for myself.

Josh,

I like your work and the fact that you live in San Diego, my home town (sort of--Escondido)

I was just spending my day doing some research on the NP. Looking to build a layout of the Mullan Pass some day and I want to have some NP engines for retro moments.

Here check out my Bachmann Dash 8-40cw

IMG_2644.png

IMG_2637.png

I have downloaded a programme called FastStone (free from downloads.com) on the advice of a fellow modeller. I must say I am quite taken with its ease of use. Here is an image done with a good sepia tone.

IMG_1636cadjsepia.jpg

Back