WEEKEND photofun 09-10-11 November

Yesterday the New York Central System, Rock Island, and Southern had a joint run-through at the Denver Great American Train Show. This is on the Colorado & Great Western Club layout that Matt is a member of. Enjoy!

img1064lh2.jpg

img1072ng4.jpg

img1076yu5.jpg

img1077pu2.jpg

img1088gl3.jpg

img1090gb8.jpg

Nice work John your going some with the kits
Zephyr the 7238 looks great with the lightly rusted wheels, spot on
Maxi your getting there

Nice looking passenger cars, Tom. How hard were they to assemble and how much fiddling did you have to do to get erverything to fir right?

Jeffrey, I think you could light a small city with those headights. :)

Josh, are those AutoMax cars articulated or does the picture show two of them? Haven't seen any of those down our way.
Yes-um. 145' Articulated car, measures in at 20' 2" from the rail heads!
Here's a shot of a prototype one.
http://rostershots.modelrailroadtips.com/displayimage.php?pos=-378

This evening has seen more scalescenes retaining walls going up to the left of the cutting, and under the bridge.

And even a spot of ballasting !!!
[...]
John
RJR
Looking good!

When I look at a real loco, the lights are blinding. I try to reflect that on my models.:)
Sure are, I like them myself, very cool!

Thanks!

Nice looking passenger cars, Tom. How hard were they to assemble and how much fiddling did you have to do to get erverything to fir right?

No assembly required. These are RTR Bethlehem Car Works cars that are sold through Intermountain.

maxi, that building is looking way better than I ever thought it would. It looks like the balsa wood worked out for you interms of paving. Just make sure to give it a good seal before you paint it so the wood grain doesn't show through.

Zephyr, geat photos and the models look really good on that layout. I wonder if they will inspire a heritage fleet on any of those successor roads? Sure would look fabulous to see those lightning stripes on one of those beasts in real.

Josh, 145 feet long, huh? Never have seen one down here but I can imagine they are really impressive in person. What is the minimum radius for one of those things?

Tome, I had no idea Bethehem cars are now being sold RTR. It seems like I built one about 20 years ago and it was one of those kits that nothing fit together properly. I know i never bought one of their kits again. I'll have to check out that RTR line.

Steve, forgot to say how cute those kids looked reading the modeller's magazines. I wonder how much they will retain?

Thanks Jim, I will surely seal it well before painting, even thought he wood grain is very fine, if painted upon it will absorb immidiately and still show pores. I still have to refin that pavement, and add more to it, so far I only cut the straight strips, I need to enlarge it a little more to get it closer to the cliff where I will have the simulated tunnel for cars and trucks.

I'll be working on this part before everything, cause it will be a detailed part but also deep in the layout where I could not be able to reach well when I start the overall scenery.

The building is comming up good too (better then expected), everything so far went smooth, but I'm still worried about the windows, since they are a little complicated to make, and I'm still thinking of a good method to make the frame. So far I'm trying with Balsa wood, since its soft to cut, but still hard to glue pieces together. I was thinking of making foldable cardboard boxes ( without top), painted black in the middle, and they can slide in the window openings, still have to experiment about it.

UP2CSX Hi Jim,
you wrote:
Jos, nice pictures but I'm confused about the wire the runs up the hill. Is that supposed to be a fence or what? I suppose it's something that will make perfect sense once you explain it

You're right...I forgot to explain: The wires were used( some 30-40 years ago) to frighten the birds ..actualy you only see a small part of the orchard but in real they used many wires and they lead all to one central point on wich a person could pull a handle so the wires moved the (top)branches of the , in this case, the cherry trees.. it ( sometimes...lol) frighten the many birds which were always picking the lovely sweet cherries ......if it did work, they could sell MORE cherries!!
Hope it is all clear now? =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh, 145 feet long, huh? Never have seen one down here but I can imagine they are really impressive in person. What is the minimum radius for one of those things?
26" as delivered, but they include a draw bar to make it go down to 22" and the longer draw bar and removal of the rubber articulated section will get you down to 18".

Maxi, I think a shadowbox for the windows is a good idea. Those walls are so thick that a shadowbox will help hide them. You could paste clear plastic to the front of the shadowbox and either use thin styrene or a fine paint pen to make the window panes. A dark green color would be right for that kind of warehouse. When you slide the shadowbox in, the windows woud then be flush with the front walls.

Jos, now that makes sense. Very ingenious as well. I've never seen anything like that in the US and we grow a lot of cherries. I think they use air cannons that go off every half hour or so to scare away the birds here.

Josh, that thing must look something horrible on an 18" radius. :) I've got 22" radius curves and I'd still be afraid of trying to get them around in one piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh, that thing must look something horrible on an 18" radius. :) I've got 22" radius curves and I'd still be afraid of trying to get them around in one piece.
Never tried it, though I'm sure a normal auto rack will work (if fact I'm SURE a normal one will).

I figure everyone did a full weekend of working on their layout. I know I did.

It was a case of thinking I could do the wiring on Saturday morning and spend the rest of the weekend putting on trim and getting ready for the switches. Anyway after working until 1:30 am yesterday and forgetting to eat dinner, I finished at 7 pm this evening.

When you have a bunch of turnouts, there's a lot to wire.

So once again lots of work no glamor.

prrwiring01.gif

prrwiring02.gif

Back