Weekend Photo Fun!

dthurman said:
You do have that menu you could post. The one with Mr. Price? That was yours wasn't it?

The foot cast may start rumors of some sort. Best we not start any yet
:p

Well it is certainly not modeling in any sense, but here it is just for you...

A Sante Fe Super Chief menu signed by the late, great Vincent Price.

Last edited by a moderator:
PA151304.png

It's taking me a darn long time, I know! :p

David just ran out to the garage and took these, i got a $3 Athearn gondola, sprayed a fine coat of flat black car paint over it then painted it with a good dose of "instant rust" which is a two pack liquid, you first apply the grey goopy stuff and let it dry then paint the blue watery stuff all over and hey presto, within hours it starts to go rusty, the stuff goes on working for months after you apply it gradually getting darker, i did the girder bridge with the same stuff about two years ago
114224874.gif

114224851.gif

114224833.gif

Steve, love that photo of the big GE, I see those quite alot here in the Seattle area, they look just like that very well used and that old wreck under the bridge is way cool. ;)

Tim

My GOSH Steve, couldnt you find an EMD for a wreck below the bridge. Gee don't cha know Alcos is scarce. :D

Nice photos and scenes
icon14.gif

13.gif
Willis

Steve, I must say, the gondola looks great!

About the locomotive in the water...why hasn't that been removed? Surely the EPA would've been all over that by now! Water contaminates, diesel fuel, oil...

:D Great scene, looks like a job well done!

The Santa Fe has a nice look to it as well. But....What's that black mark down the side of the cab?

These are some pix I took on our clubs layout. They are all taken in downtown Locust Grove Alabama, the main town in the area modeled.

Oh, one more thing Steve: You need to post those over on "The Weathering Thread." That'd be a useful addition.

Thanks to working overtime on homework and the big holiday down here, with rain all long weekend, looks like I'll have a lot of time to get something done. I finsihed my depo today. (Still working on editing pictures, thus will post tommorrow. I'll post them to http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2194)

But I managed to run trains as well. Before today I didn't run my Geep with anything else, because it has Kadee's and my other rolling stock has a different coupler (that will change eventually). Whenever I coupled the two together, they would derail...
But I thought about it, and after carefully adjusting couplers, made the train run. Works quite well actually. I find its better to make a poor quality video showcasing the train running then taking lots of equally bad pictures from each side, so here's a small movie I made.

http://media.putfile.com/L57

You will notice that the IHC is loud, but that's what I love about it! I guess I ran that train a bit too fast, but then again it is the mainline! The only thing bothering me now is that the Geep had its light on, which looks wrong on a trailing unit. Purchasing a dummy fleet should solve that issue though.

Here's a shot of the train at the yard before heading out.

Wow! You guys have done an excellent job with the weathering. About the tme I start feeling confident about learning one area of this hobby, I see just how much more there is to learn. I beleive it is said as, " The more I learn, the less I know."

Here are a few of my diesel refueling and service area. I let CJcrescent build
this after he begged and cried to be able to build something on my layout. (Actually, CJ is very much an expert on track and has helped me work-out many difficult problems in installations and repairs.) CJ kitbashed the engine house with DPM parts and the refueling area is the new Walthers.
aeq.sized.jpg

aep.sized.jpg

aem.sized.jpg

aem.sized.jpg

Whoa, Steve--that's a RUST job!! Really great. But might I echo Matt's question--what's that on the cab of the GE unit? Looks kind of cool.

Here's a couple of shots of my Pioneer Zephyr on the Bullard's Bar Bridge.
114259330.jpg

114259274.jpg

Tom

dthurman said:
[...]the PRR is my first attempt at a rust bucket, hoping to add a white line and bad order/send it to the scrapper ;)
I like that rust, how'd you do it?

Steve B said:
[...] "instant rust" which is a two pack liquid, you first apply the grey goopy stuff and let it dry then paint the blue watery stuff all over and hey presto, within hours it starts to go rusty, the stuff goes on working for months after you apply it gradually getting darker, i did the girder bridge with the same stuff about two years ago
So whats this Instant rust stuff, and where can I get some, I got a pile of TTX 89' flats to do various weathering on. I think I might wanna try that on one!

Matt The EMD has been attacked in the night by a vandal with a black spray can, thats my story anyway, the Alco in the mud came as a non runner, it's made by Mehano and was a nice CP red, till i cut it in half and stuck it in the riverbed, the guys with the big hook tried but failed to remove it so they just sucked the fluids out of her.
David i got the instant rust product from a DIY store kere in the UK, but they no longer sell it for some reason, people (con men) who sell old stuff like antiques tend to use it to make new stuff look old.
Tom nice shot
Rex that is a good looking servicing facillity

Last edited by a moderator:
dthurman said:
Roman

Cool, I just loaded one at that site, the quality isn't the best, but here you guys go.

Click here to watch CNW
Nice, I guess my trains should slow down.:D Is there a reson there wasn't a caboose trailing?

RexHea said:
Here are a few of my diesel refueling and service area. I let CJcrescent build
this after he begged and cried to be able to build something on my layout. (Actually, CJ is very much an expert on track and has helped me work-out many difficult problems in installations and repairs.) CJ kitbashed the engine house with DPM parts and the refueling area is the new Walthers.
aeq.sized.jpg

aep.sized.jpg

aem.sized.jpg

aem.sized.jpg
That's essentially what I finsihed building. Fell free to compare:

It took a lot of Legos, but I think its worth it - as I got the effect I wanted. (I plan on adding more details in the future, this is just bare bones)
As for a refueling area, the RR's I'm modelling are too cheap to use one. On multimple occasions I've seen CN/CP/VIA use refuelling trucks to fuel their big boys, even when refuelling facilities were available!
Even worse, the trucks didn't belong to the RR, they were contractors! Basically what you would see filling up your local gas station, except they weren't even semis! I can post photos of the trucks if anyone is interested.

Steve, Well, that story works for me! :) I've actually seen a freight car with black spray paint in an area for no particular reason. Coulda been the railroad, coulda been vandals. Who knows. And about the Alco...regardless of a story, it looks awesome. But the story;s kinda funny!

Josh

On that PRR hopper, it was pretty simple really. I took some brown chalk, scraped it off into a small plastic cup (The Crystal Lite containers) and then took my Testors clear parts cement, placed it in a coffee cup of hot water, the Testors bottle that is, and after about a minute I squezed a little onto a scrap piece of styrene. I then took a micro-brush, one of the black ones with the white brushes. I painted the clear cement all over a panel at a time, as I did each panel, I then took a large and very soft paint brush and "sucked up" the chalk dust and tapped it over the glue, getting it covered and then some. Wait about 1-3 minutes, turn the car over and tap the excess back into the container. Let that dry, do another panel or what you want the crusty rust on. When done, let it dry for about 20 minutes, I then took some thinned artists oils, burnt umber I think and lightly painted the chalk, some areas I didn't.

That was it. Prett easy :)

Back