Weekend Photo Fun!

Well, I'm not going to make it. I started trying to put a decoder in a 4-4-0 and found the decoder I had was a little too big.

Then I decided to put a decoder into a Mantua 2-6-2. Well the 2-6-2 ran well in DC and on the DCC track it ran well in forward, but would move a few inches and short the track. The track would come back on and it would move a couple more inches and short the track. I was able to isolate the engine and it ran great in DC. But when I jumpered the poles to the DCC track there was still the intermittent short. The armature would move about 1/32 of an inch in reverse, but even with the armature in each extreme position I could not find the short. 5 hours later, I figure I have to replace the motor.

So I decide to take the ugliest building I have (that I got already built off of ebay in a 'Lot") and got the base painted and I realized I'll never make it.

So, thanks for the deadline, here are your pictures.

boxlabel01.gif

boxlabel02.gif

Deadline, we're deadlining this now!? I have another day to this weekend!

EDIT More tomorrow from me, I'm doing a coat of blue on the long hood right now. I got other stuff here too... An SD40-2, and SD45 waiting for a little work, I need some space to run these buggers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh is right, for many it's still the weekend. But your post counts Chip. Is it possible that the frame is not isolated properly dor the DCC? I know nothing about DCC so I am speaking totally out of turn here, but if it runs DC fine and only 1 direction in DCC, me thinks it has to be a current/polarity thing?

jbaakko said:
Deadline, we're deadlining this now!? I have another day to this weekend!

EDIT More tomorrow from me, I'm doing a coat of blue on the long hood right now. I got other stuff here too... An SD40-2, and SD45 waiting for a little work, I need some space to run these buggers!

A GP7u? Nice. Once I figure out how to do a Cannon-to-ATSF Topeka cab conversion, I will be keeping myself and my modeling buddies busy building those. Nice work. Now let's see more photos of that unit!

Grande Man, great photos as always.

Bob Boudreau, thanks for the *enlightening* photo. You are at the Picasso level in my world and have been for the past 20 years.

Coyote, I like the truck and the mobile home very much. Nice work from you and the OL.

Everyone else, great work. Keep the photos piling up and get them ready for next weekend.

dthurman said:
Josh is right, for many it's still the weekend. But your post counts Chip. Is it possible that the frame is not isolated properly dor the DCC? I know nothing about DCC so I am speaking totally out of turn here, but if it runs DC fine and only 1 direction in DCC, me thinks it has to be a current/polarity thing?

Okay, here's what I know. It runs both directions in DC. When in DCC on channel 00, it runs fine in forward and creates intermittent shorts in reverse. Now in reverse, the armature moves back and forth about 1/32", and the short always occurs when the armature is to the back. This by the way is where it rides all the time in forward.

Using the the multi-meter I cannot find any short in any position. I was able to isolate the motor from the frame with the exception of the alleged short. Now with the engine isolated I jumpered from the track directly to the poles in DCC and still got the short.

Randy (rrinker) thinks that something in the armature is contacting the engine housing. He says it is possible that the short is very weak (and not long lasting) such that the DC circuit breaker does not pick it up, but the Digitrax, which is more sensitive (better protected) is tripped.

The only solution I could come up with is to replace the motor.

SpaceMouse said:
Well, I'm not going to make it. I started trying to put a decoder in a 4-4-0 and found the decoder I had was a little too big.

Then I decided to put a decoder into a Mantua 2-6-2. Well the 2-6-2 ran well in DC and on the DCC track it ran well in forward, but would move a few inches and short the track. The track would come back on and it would move a couple more inches and short the track. I was able to isolate the engine and it ran great in DC. But when I jumpered the poles to the DCC track there was still the intermittent short. The armature would move about 1/32 of an inch in reverse, but even with the armature in each extreme position I could not find the short. 5 hours later, I figure I have to replace the motor.

So I decide to take the ugliest building I have (that I got already built off of ebay in a 'Lot") and got the base painted and I realized I'll never make it.

So, thanks for the deadline, here are your pictures.

boxlabel01.gif

boxlabel02.gif

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Funny, Chip!

Hey USPSCSX, I didn't have any model photos to contribute here this weekend, but here's one especially for you:
attachment.php
:D

CSX_road_slug said:
Hey USPSCSX, I didn't have any model photos to contribute here this weekend, but here's one especially for you:
attachment.php
:D

Now that is bird power.

Ken, did you make Timmy's Immodium?

RCH said:
A GP7u? Nice. Once I figure out how to do a Cannon-to-ATSF Topeka cab conversion, I will be keeping myself and my modeling buddies busy building those. Nice work. Now let's see more photos of that unit!

Mhmmm that'd be her. There's alot of issues with converting a GP7 to a GP7u. I bought it on eBay started, well the nose weight was milled down, and the high nose chopped, and the cab was replaced with an Athearn cab with the Topeka Cab roof. It was pretty bare bones.
I picked up uncoupling levers, 2 more stacks (I still need some sort of spark arrestor), fuel fillers, & the AC unit... I have the antenna stand but its too short, so I'll prolly be building one from scratch. The plastic walkway frame needed a little trimming, and the fuel tank that was left in the package was to big, so I had to chop that down, and add the fuel fillers. Now I gotta find the airtanks, and order the nose headlight I need. Humm, numberboards too!

Then I have to re-drill the grab iron holes in the low nose, rebuild the pilots a little, and pipe the line for the airhorn, and the AC drain line. Then comes the details... MU, airline, EC87 couplers, ditch lights, uncoupling levers, lift rings, spare knuckles...

More pics tonight!

Oh yeah, can't forget, I need the DCC decoder still!

SpaceMouse said:
Now that is bird power.
Ken, did you make Timmy's Immodium?

Afraid not, Chip - too much family, too little CA$H! :D It's only a half-hour drive from my house, so at least I can always plan on going in February.

I had to take my 15yr-old daughter to the MVA to get her learners permit yesterday, can't really do that during the workweek. Wife had to work this weekend [on-call] so the job fell upon me...

CSX_road_slug said:
Afraid not, Chip - too much family, too little CA$H! :D It's only a half-hour drive from my house, so at least I can always plan on going in February.

I had to take my 15yr-old daughter to the MVA to get her learners permit yesterday, can't really do that during the workweek. Wife had to work this weekend [on-call] so the job fell upon me...
*run away, new driver on the road*

Sounds like you had lostsa fun!

Well don't have much for this week. put decals on the GP9 so I guess I may as well post them even if they're not the best quality.
111-1180_IMG.png

111-1183_IMG.png

111-1181_IMG.png

13.gif
Willis

Oh my, nice Willis!

EDIT My last pics for this weekend, Pic number 3, GP15, BNSF, no Number, New in box, powered, for sale, make an offer.

Back