Weekend Photo Fun Apr 25 -28, 2008

Very fine start to the weekend .mtrpls your giving my tooth an ache with all that sweet stuff. have any of you ever had Sorghum syrup ? I guess you have to grow up with it to like it . Smoke nice job of weathering also and quite a diff. between scales .tlark looks like your buildings is coming along,majet just gotta like Thomas , John I really like your coal cars , Selector nice shot and little consist , Jeffrey good shots as always . Bob that track moblie looks really good , Jerome that fleet is coming along nicely . Good start to the weekend everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to Wal-Mart the other day and got a quart of flat latex the same color as the WS blended turf I use in my scenery. Today I put it to the test. I paint an area then sprinkle on some blended turf. What would have taken an hour or more now takes about ten minutes.

P1010002-59.jpg

P1010003-46.jpg

I finally got around to decaling my MOW Geeps. I did a shadow affect on them. First a black decal, then a white decal over them.
Jerome, is that an SD50/60 I see in the background?

How Viable would it be to get a set of decals from you, so I can have an AP unit passing through?

Josh, you mean this one???

100_1907.jpg

It's an SD60 I'm doing for Phil (Martin_Lumber). Notice under the number on the cab, it has the reporting marks for his railroad. Me, him and another guy from Florida all have freelanced railroads. We swap power back and forth for run throughs. All 3 of our railroads are located in the midwest, so it works out nicely. We could work something out for a run through on your line. Give me a shout on a PM.

wheeler, i really like that shadow effect you did, great job. The run through thing sounds cool. someone on railroad.net mentioned doing that,having one car run on every layout it could get to throughout a year but you had to show pics of its travels. Kinda like those suit cases you'de see in cartoons with the cities sticker slapped on the side.

Dave, are your engines truly dead or you just playin with us? If 701 is I'd be glad to give her a new life on the MNT Ry.

Zephyr--

That's a really nice job on that little Arlee station. Boy, that little gem has sure been distributed by a lot of companies in its lifetime--my two were distrubuted by AHM way, WAY back, so you have an idea of how long it's been around.

I've got two of them on my Yuba River Sub--one is at Wagon Wheel Gap on the Yuba River divide, the other is in Sierra City right at the foot of Yuba Pass. For my money, it's almost the perfect small-town station.

103481427.jpg

99270771.jpg

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
been workign on the Coffee table layout this weekend, completly reconfigured the trackwork.

DSC04373.jpg

A PACE (Pittsburgh Area Commuter Express) train meets a V&AL long-haul passenger train in Coffeeville, PA while an RS-3 switches the industries on both sides of the abandoned Alleghenny Midland branch line:

DSC04371.jpg

Hey Tom, nice shots of your Arlee kits! I think it makes for a nice small-size station as well; the only thing I wish it had was another door for the "street side." Since it will be the only wood depot on my pike, I figured it was a natural candidate to receive the blue/white scheme.

Speaking of blue and white schemes here is an Athearn SD60 I have been working on.

080426%20017.jpg

080426%20016.jpg

I changed the plow and added cut bars and MU hoses. I moved the horn and removed the winterization hatch and wind deflectors. I added a strobe bracket and antenaes to the cab roof. I painted the trucks, top of the short hood and walkways black since Athearn painted it as it was delivered. I faded the blue slightly with a very light overspray of very thin gray. The weathering looks better in the photos, it came out heavier than I intended but looks ok. I still need to detail the frame but it is coming along. It is supposed to be circa 1995.

I spent some time last night installing three flood lights on the front of the south engine house.

P1010015-5.jpg

They have quite an impact when the room lights are off.

P1010018-6.jpg

Wow Jeffrey, those lights really do make quite the impact. Nice work.

My mother-in-law's boyfriend handed me a phone today. He wasn't using it so it just sat on his bookshelf and he determined that he no longer needed it. He also told me that the "ringer" was loud and so we plugged it in to listen. The 'ringer' sounds like the 4-6-2 is steaming along at full speed with the whistle blowing every few seconds. I don't have a home phone line so it will get some sit time on my computer desk.

Great job on the Tyco depot! Very nice. Jeff, you are the lighting god!

Nice diesel, Paul. I am not a modern modeler, but I can appreciate your interest and conversions.

Superduc, what an interesting phone set.

For a second contribution to WPF, here a Pennsy Pacific thunders out of a natural rock portal and up grade with a string of heavyweights. A different vantage point for a change.

IMG_2002cadj.JPG

Good looking stuff this weekend, guys. Crandell, nice shot of that train coming out of the rock portal tunnel. As usual, your roadbed and track look outstanding.

Carl, that phone would last about 10 minutes in my house before the wife banished to the basement. :)

Jeffrey, you are really getting into the lighting game. The engine house looks good with the floodlights.

Paul, the weathering on that SD-60 looks just about right to me. Nice detail work too.

V&AL, that coffee table concept is interesting. Is tha N or Z scale?

Tom and Zephyr, nice shots of the Arlee station models. Nice paint job too, Zephyr. I've always been partial to the Atlas station for a small town, as you'll see in my pics.

Dave, very believable, beat-up look to poor old 701 as she comes to the end of her career.

Jeffrey, looks like a good way to cover a lot of ground fast with the paint and ground foam but it looks like you've got some grass growing on some of the building roofs. :D

Sorry, I missed some of the other great shots but, as usual, I came into this thread too late. I decided to take some pics this week since I haven't touched the layout in 2 weeks. The first is the Hilllside station, the Atlas model that I like for the roof detail:

HillsidestationMedium.jpg

The CSX local is in the hole so the crew is taking a meal break at the steak house at the Worthington Hotel. They get a wave from a blond in a RH drive MGTC. :)

CSXandWavingGirlMedium.jpg

The P&N 638 is backing her load of a flat car of sheet steel down to the lock and key factory spur though downtown. As usual, all the vehicles are trying to avoid her since Engineer Spike doesn't take any guff from little cars:

BackingsteelloadtolockfactoryMedium.jpg

Wow that looks great Jim. All your guys work makes me Wish I had a layout but the Basement is still a mess. My grandparents had a twenty year head start on using it as storage. Alot of stuff to move out before I can get the layout built.

Jim, thank you kindly. Dave Vollmer added some welcome commentary over in WPF MR-style. Whoda thunk?

Let me return the compliment by saying your several views don't come better than that. I could easily place myself in the first scene and watch an engine hoot or whistle as it comes into view. Excellent. Ya done good.:D

-Crandell (with insulators painted green finally, but not with glitter nail polish)

Jeffrey, you are really getting into the lighting game. The engine house looks good with the floodlights.
Thank you. I had been toying with the idea of the floodlights for some time. Yesterday my back wasn't cutting up (much) so I set to work on it and had it wired inside an hour.The building has a total of ten lights, six inside and four outside.

Jeffrey, looks like a good way to cover a lot of ground fast with the paint and ground foam but it looks like you've got some grass growing on some of the building roofs. :D
I had to let the paint dry first before vacuuming off the excess. With the high humidity here it takes almost all day for the paint to dry.

Back