Weekend Photo Fun Apr 25 -28, 2008

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
Thought I'd start it off this weekend. Where are our friends from the UK?

Anyway, I recently purchased these three old MDC/Roundhouse tankers off of eBay, and decided to weather them.

The first, is a Cargill "shorty" tank car:

IMG_8150.jpg

IMG_8161.jpg

IMG_8162.jpg

Second is a Cargill 50' tank car, for Molasses service. Notice the patch on the car, I've noticed this on several prototype tank cars (must be a repair to the tank shell) and decided to give it a shot:

IMG_8152.jpg

IMG_8160.jpg

IMG_8163.jpg

Last, but not least, is a tank car that has been restenciled for my own private leasing company (named after my initials). The car is a former ADM Corn Sweeteners "Unitemp" car, that has seen new life hauling hydrogen peroxide:

IMG_8156.jpg

IMG_8154.jpg

IMG_8158.jpg

IMG_8165.jpg

That's all from me this weekend. Can't wait to see what everyone else has to show!

Mtrpls,

Great work as always! I'm always impressed. Do you do contract work?

Here is a 1:1 Thomas. Day out with Thomas was in Grapevine, TX a few weeks ago and we took my son out to ride the train. A great time was had by all!

I've been weathering too. A kato SD40-2 Snoot #5027
IMG_2768-2.jpg

And this is a cool picture showing the differences in scales. HO, N, and Z scale.
IMG_3116.png

WTF? Do they have free weathering classes in Denver or what? All three of you guys have great stuff. I'm not ready to WX my locomotives yet. I'm still practicing on my cars.

Thats not fair !!! When you start the thread with pictures like that I dont feel worthy to add mine !!!!

Mtrpls any chance of a giving my hair a blonde look with all that peroxide ?

Smoke that SD40 picture is a model isn't it ???

Well her are mine (Ive been weathering too ... Must be the time of year for it)

Not much has gone on in the shed this week , cant say I have been in the mood due to a terrible week at work, but its the weekend now !!! So I have spent a couple of hours winding down this evening with a paint brush and a rake of PO wagons. Technically for use on the new "downunder" layout, pictured here on Springhead Junction.

Whats changed, well after several pointers from various people... a bit more general ageing and delapidation, rust (they have seen several yours going to the sea front harbour) Missing / damaged planks, P numbers added but weathered out.

POfinished1.jpg

POfinished2.jpg

POfinished3.jpg

POfinished4.jpg

POfinished5.jpg

POfinished.jpg

John
RJR

Fantastic start to the weekend everyone, looks like weathering must be the thing to do right now. :cool:

mtrpls~ I really like the tanker with your own leasing company. It's always cool to see a modeler's personal touch.

Smoke~ Great shot of the different scales. Z scale is beyond small. ;)

Wow!

Coooool! Guys that is a great start to the weekend! :)

mtrpls: Wow!! Very well done
Smoke: Holly molly! Love what you did to the trucks! Nice pictures of the various scale too:)
Johntealon30: great pics and weathering
Railphotog: Nicely done
jeffrey-wimberly: Great shot!

I am working on more roads right now (ashphalt) and grass, and ballast, and scenery, and the extension of the overpass. Should be busy this weekend. Will see what I can post for pics.

Keep them coming and thanks for sharing

Bob~ The FTD Trackmobile looks outstanding! What a fantastic addition. :)

Jeffrey ~ Great looking hopper you have there. :cool:

Another super weekend of accomplishments, everyone. Nice images!

Here, an NYC Mikado takes a small local freight off a siding to rejoin the main.

IMG_1970cadjr.JPG

Nice Bob, how do you like yours? I'm saving the purchase of one, until the Blueline ATSF 4-8-4 comes out, hopefully they're not sold out.

I finally got around to decaling my MOW Geeps. I did a shadow affect on them. First a black decal, then a white decal over them.
100_1901.jpg

100_1902.jpg

Todays update

Okay accepting that the most photos would be taken indoors, and on another forum I have been advised that the rust is too red, I have done as advised and stippled the rust with chocolate brown.

I have also knocked together a board to take some pictures outside (3" wide one piece of track !)

Here are the latest results...

POoutside.jpg

POoutside1.jpg

POoutside3.jpg

POoutside4.jpg

Am I getting there yet ?????

John
RJR

Haaaaaa! The European flavor!

I think it looks great John. The "toning it down" with chocolate worked great.
Your weathering is very good.

My best advice would be to tell you to look at the real thing. I have seen some pretty beat up and crappy looking cars that you would be hard press to replicate. I guess the hardest thing is to avoid uniformity in weathering. I am having big issues with that. I am trying very hard to change the "accent" and "heavyness" in weathering.

You are doing great and its always a pleasure to see your work.

MLW:)

Back