weekEND photo fun 26 - 27 -28 October

You know, I really didn't look Jeffrey, but now that I look back, nice job!

John, I think you're better off with a bridge, they pull of some complex 6 way stop light, with the freeway under, out here in Cali. South of Riverside CA, on the I215 freeway. A "T" bridge is not that hard to imagine.
http://tinyurl.com/297odz

John, It looks like that mock-up on the last picture would work for you then. I think open cuts are always a lot more interesting than a tunnel anyway. That's a great background site you found. I'm sitting here calculating if I'd spend more on ink printing them out than buying ready-made ones from Walthers. :)

Maxi, that brickwork is looking good. Just be careful handling it while you're working on it.

Jeffrey, you got me on that one. I don't think Athearn ever did produce any low nose GM with a headlight in the nose. I assume you must have installed the headlight. Now you need a Mars light for that upper position!

As always great work so far! I always love these threads.

Thought I would pop in and show you what I've done today (well, actually I started this last night by putting together the 3 part steel wheels). I have had this Jordon Fordson Tractor kit sitting on the shelf for almost 2 years and I need to use it at the Tile Industry.

Assembled but yet to be painted (maybe tomorrow).

FordsonUnpainted1w.png

I left a couple tools sitting on the bench to show the actual size of this little thing. The crank is about 3/16" long.......

FordsonUnpainted2w.png

Quick flash snapshot of the area it will be used in. This is Thompson Tiles, manufacturer of farm field tiles. The Fordson will used in place of the old draft Horses to pull logs from the nearby forest to feed the Kilns. This is just around the corner from the yard at Hopewell Junction. In fact the yard lead is on a lower track right here (not shown) as well. Scenery is in progress and the stacked face cord of hardwood was scratch built this week.

ThompsonTilesScenery1w.png

Jeffrey, you got me on that one. I don't think Athearn ever did produce any low nose GM with a headlight in the nose. I assume you must have installed the headlight. Now you need a Mars light for that upper position!
I'm working on it. I don't have a double one so I'll probably drill the hole out and mount a large single one.

Nice tractor, i just bought a 1945 Ford Furgeson model 4N (2N) tractor today. I felt for the old guy, he was choked up while i was loading her. said he had her for a long time. the wife thinks it was a waste of 2,200.00. she'll see when the driveway actually gets plowed this winter, and the huge garden she wants cultivated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey - Don't put a mars lite up there, put a bell! Just like CP does. I've had to move more headlights from the cab to the nose then I care to think about! Us crazy Canadians, always gotta be different.

Nice tractor, i just bought a 1945 Ford Furgeson model 4N (2N) tractor today. I felt for the old guy, he was choked up while i was loading her. said he had her for a long time. the wife thinks it was a waste of 2,200.00. she'll see when the driveway actually gets plowed this winter, and the huge garden she wants cultivated!

Thanks! That would be the 2N (commonly incorrectly referred to as a 9N Which stopped production 1942). I don't recall there ever being a 4N, but I might be wrong. I think that my Father had a 2N when I was just a toddler (I remember the 3 speed transmission). Probably was the first tractor I drove at the age of 4. Yeah, I started early. The next door neighbor had an 8N that I drove all the time (Dad used to borrow it often). In 53 he bought the Jubilee Model and kept that until around 1960 when he got an 861 Powermaster (45 Horsepower to pull a flail chopper he bought that the Jubilee couldn't quite handle at 35H). The most fun to drive was a demo 6000 that I used for planting corn when I was a junior or senior in high school. Ford tractors and I go back a long way. It was amazing what they could pull with the 3 point hitch (Ferguson hitch) compared to considerably larger tractors without it. My dad's cousin was Don Howard who lived next door and was at that time the largest Farm Machinery Dealer in America. I got to drive most everything out there made from old McCormack-Deering 10-20s to Huge Oliver 4 wheel drive Diesels as a kid.

Have fun with the old 2N! Amazing just how many 9N, 2N, and 8Ns are still out there at work!

i have looked at a lot of them we had a 8n NAA ? jUBLIEE out on the farm. the one i bought was converted to 12 dc which makes an amazing differance in starting it. as far as unrestored tractors go this one is mint. except a minor valve adjustment is needed. anyway, guess we better get back to trains ! PS check out www.tractorshed.com have fun

Here's a demonstration in coupler pull...

We've got a Proto 2000 SD60M mated to a Walthers 89' Autorack. Couplers are Sergent EC87. The Autorack is weighted to NMRA specs, and has had its extra wide coupler swing boxes permanently centered (so they work like normal boxes). The radius is 22", on Life-like power lock track, resting on a 1/4" carpet base. The P2K coupler is about 1/16th of an inch too low, have not figured out if I'll try to raise it any.

Now for the review...

I've heard in the past that you can yank a truck off the tracks on 22" radius in some long car situations. I decided to test this today, since I was installing my latest batch of 10 EC87's. With the Sergent its darn near impossible to get a coupler to accidentally uncouple in tight situations, and it performed perfectly here. The weight of the Walthers car may have helped, I do not have one that has not been weighted, to test.

Though the P2K would not gain much speed due to the way they built it, it got up to around 20 scale miles per hour on full power from the Athearn DC power pack I have. Even with the way the BLI AC6000 picked the joints, neither the SD60M or the Walthers car derailed.

Very good performance, has anyone else tried this with kadee's?

Josh,
Not with autoracks but I've got some well weighted AHM heavyweights with body mounted #5 couplers and the couplers will pull the car right off the curve. I haven't tried a longer shank Kadee yet but I think that might solve the problem - those #5's just don't have enough shank to swing along with the locomotive. OTOH, I have some Bachmann Spectrum heavyweights with the swinging body mount couplers and they will take an 18" curve at 30 mph with no problem.

Ray,
I know nothing about tractors but that is one cute little machine. :)

Ray thats a nice little tractor you did.
John The Copy Pit line between Burnley and Yorkshire has some roads and bridges just like you are thinking, you have a main road running paralel to the line, some sections are in short tunnels with narrow roads going up and over these between houses, all packed very tightley together.

just got this off google earth, imagine the line at the left turning onto the viaduct
johnsrailwayplan.jpg

Thanks Steve, Thats really good. do you know any of the road names so I can find it on google earth and have a play ?

John
RJR

would you believe it, i can't find it now,,, it's on one of the lines around Brighouse - Bradford,,,theres plenty to chose from in that area

Josh,
Not with autoracks but I've got some well weighted AHM heavyweights with body mounted #5 couplers and the couplers will pull the car right off the curve. I haven't tried a longer shank Kadee yet but I think that might solve the problem - those #5's just don't have enough shank to swing along with the locomotive. OTOH, I have some Bachmann Spectrum heavyweights with the swinging body mount couplers and they will take an 18" curve at 30 mph with no problem.
Hummm. Well if you look close, the couplers are just about at their limit. The SD60M's coupler is perfectly centered still, which means its the weight of both keeping themselves going.

Looks good jeffrey,

Just re painted the maintenance train i got yesterday into British Rail yellow as per original stuff, i filled the hole in the roof with styrene and will attatch a pantograph, it will form an overhead wire testing train when done, not that i'll have any wires to test, it'll have to be en-route when it's used
10-08-07072-1.jpg

I tried weathering a junk car that I have, its a plastic car and not very detailed, but I took off more of its detail by rusting it :p

Junk_car2.jpg

That rusty car looks pretty good. Kinda looks like a late 60's model Mercedes-Benz. One thing I learned about Mercedes cars when I was in Germany is that they rust well.

I was wondering how the lights in my GP50 look in a straight-on shot. This was taken from over seven feet away.
P1010006-9.jpg

Back