weekEND photo fun 26 - 27 -28 October

John - Excellent work! That scene has come to life very quickly. And that first picture looks real!

Steve - Nice work on that platform. I'm more tempted to try one of those paper kits every time I see one finished.

Josh - Happy Birthday man. Nice addition to the roster.

AGGRO - Sad to see you have to part with that beast. But it's a little too steamy for my taste. Hope you get a bundle for it. The weathering is top notch, as always.

Selector - Nice shot, but if the sun isn't up, neither am I! :D

And here is my small contribution this week...
This is a Central Valley 70' span with Walthers abutments. The bridge was built and painted by another club member. I painted the abutments and did the weathering. This will be part of the coal branch on my club's new layout.

Nice work everyone!!!

Can anyone tell me if the bridge that Fred is showing, could ever be used in high mountainous areas? I have apart in my layout which the railroad passing under a bridge is too close and when I tried passing a 60' hopper from under the above rail, there was only about 3mm clearance, so now I will try to adjust as much as I can the rail platform, but I can mainly gain only 5mm more clearance, so on the top rail I will be needing a very flat bottom type of bridge. This is where I have my problem.

Dock.jpg

its the rail leading to the riverside depot that has to pass from under the lower curve.

Joh, that viaduct really looks spectacular outside. The weathering actually looks much more realistic under sunlight, which I guess is usually the case. As far as another three, I gree that you need mor smaller bushes and weeds on those slopes. The railroads usually kept trees away from critical areas like abutments so they could be inspected more easily. If anything, I'd add some trees to the stream area.

Josh, nice birthday present but I still can't get used to seeing UP power without silver trucks. :(

Jeffrey, Steve's method is what I do when I'm forced to use the old Athearn metal handrails. I usually replace the handrails themselves with .010 brass wire and clip open the loop on the stanchions and bend it around the brass wire and secure it with CA. The result isn't as nice as the newer engineeried plastic handrails but they look a lot better than the Athearn standard handrail sets and it's actually pretty strong when it's all installed.

Aggro, too bad about having to sell of your baby but I'm sure she'll find a good home. I'd bid on it if I was a Pennsy modeler but that's the last thing I need is another road line to start collecting. :)

Selector, I'm with Fred - dawn is not my time of day but your picture captures the look of first light, or at least first light the few times I've seen it in my life.

Fred, good looking bridge, abutments, and weathering job. The one thing I didn't plan for my layout was any bridge bigger than a timber culvert and I reget that now since I like both the look of bridges and trains runing across them.

The NKP peddler freight lead by GP-30 #903 is in town for some interchange work, dropping off a few reefers and picking up the load of USFS fire trucks bound for Boise. Engineer Spike finally sobered up enough to get the flatcar spotted properly for pick-up. He took this picture while standing on the top of his pickup and you can tell he's still not quite right. :)

NKP903Medium.jpg

A view from the opposite end, taken by Billy Ray, the P&N CEO and Roadmaster. The P&N #638 is safely spotted on the downtown spur and locked up until Billy Ray is sure that Spike is in any condition to haul the interchange cars into the yard.

InterchangeMedium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maxi,
That type of plate girder bridge was used everywhere that the span was appropriate so it could be used in the mountains or the flatlands. From what I can see of your picture, you'd need at least two spans of bridge with a pier in the middle since that span is way too long for a single bridge. Have you thought about a simple timber trestle? You can make the bottom even eith the ties of the passing track above and it would look better for what you're trying to do. You could also use timber trestles as approcahes on each side of a single plate girder bridge.

As you can see below it there's limited space, U can see a track going that way, and on its left there will be the river running, so if I will have to make a 2 part bridge U will have to see if I can at least manage to bring up a stone support in middle. I will post a better photo with detailed sizes, so U get a better idea of what I'm talking about and maybe someone can give me some good hints.

Thread updated with new photos

Thanks for now.

Spot on John, had a great morning, the boys left a present for the railway in the shape of a car,

Here are the pics from the LRG,ers (Lancashire rail gang) first meet
10-08-07041.jpg

10-08-07044-2.jpg

10-08-07042-1.jpg

10-08-07046.jpg

and i bought this weird little train up from your local shop for a fiver, non runner, just bent a contact wire away from the frame and it's a stunning runner now, think it's a german overhead wire inspection train thingy ?? also got two MK3 coaches for £6, bargain,,, i think a yellow british rail re paint is in order, may have to lose the roof walkway thingy as it makes it out of gauge
10-08-07051.jpg

the contact wires on the left were touching the metal axle holder shorting out
10-08-07052-3.jpg

Steve,
Now I see how your viaduct fits into the door opening of the shed. At least the little people can get in and out with no problem. :) What is that side-rod EWS switcher? Are they still in use or is this one a historic model?

Maxi, nice looking SW there. About time you get to run it to the docks.

Jeffrey, I have no is what's unusual about that SD50 except that the cab handrail on the left side appears to lack a stanchion. It also looks like it has poling pockets or something raised on the front.

The downtown beautification committee has been at work planting street trees. They are what's known locally as popcorn trees, that get nice blue flowers in the spring.

DowntownTreesMedium.jpg

Jim, the railway is John's, i went to visit today. The EWS switchers are in use all over the UK, there used to be around 800 or so, now it's below the hundred mark

just painted the electric multiple unit jumper cables orange on a couple of my units
10-08-07054-1.jpg

Steve, Found the car, shame they didnt leave the keys with it !!! I will park it up somewhere safe till the next meeting of the Lancashire Group !!!

Thanks for the thoughts on tree or not everyone. Great pics this weekend as always.

Im after some thoughts on the next pics of this afternoons work

I think the viaduct is cooked enough for the time being to move onto another area to start.

I have kept looking at the area to the left of the door where the original TMD section had a bus on a bridge. What to do with the bridge that originally stopped at a board edge but now has layout in front of it

The problem.....

S7001897.jpg

I have come up with an idea that I have partly mocked with plywood partly "computer mocked"

The question is will it work ?? Or is there a better idea.
S7002231.jpg

S7002236.jpg

The idea is to extend the road to a T junction. The road will cross the lower lines over a tunnel portal at either end. The road coming down the ramp will only be half the carriage way the front face of the ramp will just match the layout facing board.

The road then creates a cutting for the forward most TMD line that will look like it too disapears into a tunnel mouth under the new road

The entire thing creates a cutting in which the junction to the outside world (down to hidden traverser) is located. I do like the fact it obscures some of the main loop of track as it starts to section the layout up which is a challange to achieve in a space dominated by curves. I also like the fact it puts the track in a cutting as I think it puts the railway into a more lifelike perspective. ie often hidden in busy areas.

S7002237.jpg

Or would it be better as bridges rather than tunnels for the lower level lines

All opinions or alternate ideas appreciated

John
RJR

Thats not a bad idea at all, i think it'll work out well, you could disguise the banking by the viaduct with trees to help it blend in with the urban scene very well.

Steve, I knew that was John's viaduct, that was just a test. :)

John, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to acheive but generally, railroads would always choose an open cut rather than a tunnel if it was feasible. It looks kind of interesting the way you have the houses backing up to the open cut.

John, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to acheive but generally, railroads would always choose an open cut rather than a tunnel if it was feasible. It looks kind of interesting the way you have the houses backing up to the open cut.

Im just looking for somewhere for the existing road bridge to go to without major remodelling of the existing upper level that started life as a free standing layout.

John

Jeffrey, I have no is what's unusual about that SD50 except that the cab handrail on the left side appears to lack a stanchion. It also looks like it has poling pockets or something raised on the front.
I thought some sharp-eyed person would have noticed by now. It's obvious enough. The headlight is in the nose. Athearn, to my knowledge, doesn't offer a BB low hood GP50 with the light in the nose.

Back