weekEND photo fun 26 - 27 -28 October

Jeffrey, that weathered car looks good. I don't think anyone will miss that GP-50 comng down the track with that headlight. :)

Steve, you sure don't let any grass grow under your feet. It would take me about a week to just get the thing disassembled let alone paint it.

John, I printed out some sky backgrounds from the textures site and they lookg great. I don't think it's economical to use them for backgrounds for the whole layout because I'd go through about $100 worth of printer ink and the tallest I could get them is 14 inches. I'm planning to use some of those buildings mounted on 1" foam to give some 3-D depth to my Walther's Instant Horizon backgounds once I get them up.

Maxi, that car looks just like the ones we have driving around Alabama every day. :) I'm still holding my breath for your foam building and hoping it works out for you.

It will work JIM, wait and see :p, maybe it will not be as finely detailed as the original, but it will work. I need some questions answered though in the river side dock thread, if anyone can help.

Well about the car, I don't really think such car can go around in streets :p

Junk_car.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maxi great job on the car
I got a product called instant rust, it's a two part set, you apply the base iron oxide coat then you paint the top coat on and it reacts very quickly and turns to real rust, even on plastic,,, the best bit is the reaction goes on and on and on and a year down the line the results are stunning

Here the gondola got total coverage
10-08-07019-2.jpg

This box car got serious coverage to represent a truck which has been sat in a dissused siding for years on the coast, the sea spray has had a serious effect
10-08-07016-4.jpg

Nice, maybe I will try it one day, but for now I'll keep on working on my painting techniques. I love to blend colours, and this is a challenge for me.

Maxi, you've never been to Alabama. It might be more realistic if it was a pickup truck but we've got stuff on the roads here you wouldn't believe.:)

I did a very quick and crude mockup using the sky and an industrial image:

BackgoundMockupMedium.jpg

Like I wrote, it would be cost-prohibitive to do a whole layout with these images but they will be really nice for adding bits and pieces like industrial buildings to existing backdrops. You could easily do a small diorama using 8 1/2 by 14 paper and it would look better than most commercial backgrounds if you take the time to match everything up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents tell you what, we could do a diorama photo fun useing the background textures and images John found here
It would be fun to see what we can come up with

Running nearly 2 hours behind schedule, a NYCS Chicago-Binghamton train races to make up for lost time...

SCROLL--->>>

NYCSandCPconsist1.jpg

mtrpls,
Two things, how did the famous NYCS get two hours behind? and second a CP loco? Did I miss a partnership or is it run-through power?

-Smoke

Hey, thats MY CP AC4400!! It's supposed to be down for maintenance, maybe that explains why its behind schedule!

Hehe, kidding, though I DO have that same CP unit, and it is down (its got no couplers). It'd be real fun if I had my short portion of my layout complete, and an NYCS unit, could shoot it tomorrow on Cajon ;)...

Very nice looking layout, especially that small cut. Those are the kind of features that don't often get modeled and the fenceline really sets it off. I won't get into the whole locomtoive thing except to say they look like nice models to me. :)

Steve, that's all I need. If I told my wife I was going to build some dioramas in addition to the time I spend on the layout I think I'd be sleeping in the basement for a while. :) Of course, if I was sleeping in the basement, I'd have more time to work on the layout....nah, probably not worth it in the long run. ;)

The NYCS was running behind due to congestion in Chicago, and trackwork in Cleveland as part of our $1.2B capital improvement plan for the Cleveland area. It happens to the best of us!

The CP unit is run-through power. NYCS and CP actually have very strong relations in the northeast, with both roads utilizing a substantial amount of trackage rights over each other.

the wife thinks it was a waste of 2,200.00. she'll see when the driveway actually gets plowed this winter, and the huge garden she wants cultivated!

You're right about that Oldtrail.
Have lots of fun with it and maybe show us a pic or two.

Very nice train, Matt! Glad to see you running that CP AC4400; it looks real sharp with your lightning stripes. We'll have to work more on that Chicago congestion issue...

Back