Weekend Photo Fun 11-21/11-24

P1010393.jpg

Jeffrey, that pedestrian bridge looks really good. Is it a kit or assembled and who made it? Nice SD-40 too but it looks like the horns could use a touch of super glue. :)

Jeffrey, that pedestrian bridge looks really good. Is it a kit or assembled and who made it? Nice SD-40 too but it looks like the horns could use a touch of super glue. :)
It was a kit from Model Power. They copied it from Heljan. Funny you should mention super gluing the horns. I did that right after I posted the photo. I hadn't noticed them prior to that.

here are a few shots of my I.C.R.R Heavy mountain with some passenger coaches. These were taken on The Elmhurst model RR Club layout.

Also A Soo Line RS switching some oil cars

Trent

Some great photo's as usual.
Imackattack, I nice chain link fence with barbed wire in that Soo pic. Where did you find it, or did you make it?

Must be nice to still need an air conditioner Jeffrey!!...Here in Pa. that would be a heater company now...LOL

Jeffrey, LOL, now you need to add one of those flashing Chistmas tree light sets around it and you'll have the worlds biggest animated HO billboard. :)

Don, nice looking engines. Who made the F-3's? For some reason, the chicken wire grilles just don't look right to me.

And before you ask here is a better closeup of the F3A

F3A.jpg

Oh I almost forgot I also uploaded some of the Dome Car for you all to see. Its a BLI CZ and it looks great

CZSilverScout.jpg

This and the Sleepers and when i get them the diners and end car will be my Super Chief Set

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice the gill work between the windows on the F3, and that the F7 does not have this... I've been learning about F's recently, slowly getting the spotting features down.

I used to think that these engines were ugly but lately I have been chaning my mind about them. They are a look that grows on you. I kinda like the grill work on the f3 however I like the upper grill on the f7 and the way they carried the paint under them. They both look about the same mechanicly thought as all the vents are in the same place There is another differance on the top as well. The F7 has a fifth fan just behind the cab and I am assuming that is a dynamic brake where as the F3 only has two small vents there. Would I be correct in guessing that is one has a Dynamic brake and the other is without? This same differance is on the B units as well

Don, that fifth fan on the F-7 and the slots on the F-3 would indicate dynamic brakes. The F-3 had the "chicken wire" screening that ran across the top and between the two portholes. You didn't say who made the F-3's but what doesn't look right is that the chicken wire is too light. Since it wasn't solid, a lot of the carbody behind showed though and made the open body areas darker than the rest of the aluminum painted engines. This picture is a good example:

atsf18s.jpg

You can make the engine look more realistic with a fine point black sharpie and fill in the parts that match the picture with black to simulate the holes in the carbody.

The F3's were made by PCM
It could be that the model the under side is painted that is behind the grills. Also due to the scale down It may not look right.
I also think it has to do with the angle to the light that I took my pictures at. I wanted to show more of the Nickle effect of
how they made the model look. I think if one could take the grills off and paint the underlaying side darker the detail would
show up better. I think one could with some black paint and thinner would make them look better but like I was saying
after looking at the model closer it seems that to me that in your picture the part of the body under the grills are not painted.
on the model it is as I think the grills were applyed then the shell was panted. I think they could be removed and the underside
maby could be painted with a thin coat of black to make it show up better

Looking at your picture and the model I think in conclusion is that the modelers made the mistake of painting the detail under the grill. They should have left it
a grey or all silver or maby a darker shade. Also the grills are right its just with the paint it makes them look wrong. I think that they should have
gone with a lighter coat of paint on the grill itself to look right. I think a little thinner and one could make the model look far better then it does. maby like I said
above with a light touch of black in it to darken in the underside.

With this being said I think these are very good models. the Grills are etched brass and I truly think that the scale is right on I really dont think
with the constraints that manufactures are under that they could have done much better with modern tooling

Back