Weekend Photo Fun 1-30/2-02

Scratch another project off the list. I got the hedge in place around the park. The hedge is made from strips of dark blue furnace filter material that's been spray painted spruce green and covered with a thick layer of green blended turf. It's held in place by wood pegs.

P2050022.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

Jeffrey, that hedge came out great but cut the base off that tree and "plant" it in the layout. It would look a lot better.

That part of the layout is white foam and doesn't take kindly to 'planting'. Besides which, that area is made to be lifted out and is often stood on it's side.

Jeff,

How do you like the Bachman GP40 and dummy set?
My local Hobby Shop has a set for $54 I was thinking of getting for my budget coal train.
I see you already did some mods.
I posted question to the Bach Man as well.
Yeh they dont come with road numbers so you can add them.
and I think they match the DC versions you can get seperately as well as the DCC version so I think you can upgrade to DCC later if you like.
I like Atherns GP40-2 details better but I like Bachmans price for my budget to build a UP consist.
Nice pics by the way I'll have to work on taking some with my Sony to post as I build up my temp carpet layout experiment.
(LOL one year later and I just ordered 2 sets)
Cheers,
Richard (Noob)

Last edited by a moderator:
The powered unit is 4 wheel drive (rear wheels only) with the front truck being a dummy. The front truck does pick up power along with two of the rear wheels. The other two have traction tires, one on either side. I removed the wheelsets with the traction tires and replaced them with regular Bachmann loco wheelsets. I then removed the motor (little chincy thing) and replaced it with a regular Bachmann motor. I removed the front truck and replaced it with a regular powered truck and put the proper drive shafts. It's now 8 wheel drive and 8 wheel pickup. The dummy loco is super light (1.5 ounces). I weighted it to 5.5 ounces with some wax based modeling clay (never dries out). It's now in consist behind my two SDP40F's. A midget running with giants.

Picked up a few more Athearn shells this week on Ebay. Couple of them were waiting for me when I arrived home from work.

The two CNW AC4400s are Blue Box models and are both numbered 8804. One of them will stay as CNW 8804 and the other will either get renumbered or may find it's way into my own freelanced railroad line. They came with the basic detail kits and will each get handrails (should be here tomorrow) and more detailing done before being put onto frames.

The CP Rail SD40-2s are from Athearn's RTR line and sport the Vancouver EXPO 86 paint scheme. They are both numbered 5647 and will also get more detailing done before getting put into commission. One of them will remain as is and the other will probably just get renumbered. It seems a bit of a shame to me to paint over the EXPO 86 especially since CPR had six of them painted in 1986 and having a couple of them on my line would be kind of cool.

Jeff,
Thanks Excellent info! I'll check the one in the store again cuz the single powered units I was going to get are supposed to be 8 wheel drive. I'll recheck the part numbers.( Product Code: 63501 )So I'll likley skip on the package deal with the dummy if its 4 wheel drive etc. and get 2 individual locos of the newer 8 wheel drive units. still $39 each at store though, on sale for $24.99 online (trainworld). (DCC version Product Code: 60301 is more expensive)
I like to support my local hobby shop but not if its ridiculous. LOL
Cheers,
Richard

Right on Richard. I like to support the LHS as well but if I can get it cheaper online I usually do. That's how I got my new camera. $99.95 at Wal-Mart, $70 clearance online. It's just a cheap Coolpix Nikon but it takes better pics than my expensive Vivitar.

Jeff,

How much more did it cost you to upgrade the Bachmann? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy a Spectrum?

Back