Weekend Photo Fun 1-16/1-19

Thanks Jerry. It's a Panasonic DMC-FZ7. I've been experimenting with manual focus lately. It can really make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Built a new Bridge to add some more elevation to the industry aera of the layout. I have some Sceniking industry backdrops coming so it should dissapear into the backdrop nicely.

I want to lower it about an inch. It has no start and ending point but looks kinda like the high bridges that are around Chicagos south west side industry.

Trent

What do you set your F-Stop to Grampy?

Here is some work I did today. I need to see it in the sunlight to see if my rocks turned out as well as I wanted (I think I have some touch-ups to do). I still have some ballasting, and a little painting to do. The creek has been painted, but I need to add the "water." The pictures came out kind of dark, sorry. I'll take better ones tomorrow.

n116400015_30286500_7551.jpg

n116400015_30286501_7902.jpg

hit the local NMRA division's anual auction... boy was that fun!

I really scored good:

3 Athearn BB SD40-2's: $52 total
PRR K-4, Spectrum: $35
SDP40: $3
RS-2: $7
Bridge: free!
N scale Alco: $10
PRR and Railbox cars: $2 each

DSC05310.jpg

got a box of track and assorted trucks, couplers and the like too...

(Disclamer:
Rivet counters please move to the mext post in this thread...)

then later at walmart, I found a Matchbox Pierce ladder truck and garbage truck...

DSC05316.jpg

the ladder truck looked just a tad small next to my Del Prado 1:87 E-one ladder (the red truck), but most folks probably wont mind. I just dont recommend using it right next to a proper scale one:

DSC05319.jpg

DSC05321.jpg

Then the garbage truck looks almost exactly to scale!!
it's sure good enough for me!!

DSC05315.jpg

It even has full moving parts:

DSC05317.jpg

DSC05318.jpg

These are from the Matchbox Real Working Rigs line...

Superbird, are those Athearn EL units? RTR or Genesis?

I picked up a few things off ebay this week. A roller bearing models "beer" can shortie tank car that I didn't realize was going to be as difficult to assembled. A walthers scale test car kit for BN. A couple of other odds and ends that i can't remember. Also picked up a Atlas trus bridge and 2 girder bridges with some supports to make a small diaroma on my entertainment center. Gotta put some more stuff on display rather then in boxes.

Dirty, Thanks for the kind words on the engines!

NYSW, The 3680 is an Athearn Genesis SD45-2. EL 2404 is Atlas C424. EL 3632 is a friend's unit and it is a custom painted Kato SD45 unit.

Oh man, I hot I find those trucks. They're Matchbox correct? I'd like about 8 of those trash trucks, and one fire truck.

Well, I started off this week replacing the couplers and boxes on my Athearn rtr NS OCS F units, because I didn’t like the un-proto-typical space in between them. I used American Limited coupler box kit from Walthers. You have to actually cut off some of the original box and slide the new one over it the set them back.
newest_005.jpg

These next units, I have been working on for the past few weeks:
My pair of Athearn Blue Box Sd40-2’s in SCL/FL scheme that I patched for my own regional line, MWGX loco’s 312 and 313
newest_006.jpg

newest_007.jpg

Heres one of two sets of PPW-Aline 5 car sets of twin stacks that I got in kit form undecorated. I painted, decalled, and hooked these bad boys up:
newest_008.jpg

closeup of one of the two Atlas articulated auto racks I got for Christmas:
newest_009.jpg

both of them:
newest_010.jpg

Heres my newest kitbash: a SD50S, yep a first generation SD50 kit built on a sd40-2 frame. I originally built this loco with the original NS plain catfish scheme on it and as road # 6502. Well as it would be, that road number was turned into a SD40E unit, A non turbocharged SD50. I added the mu hoses and cable to the front and rear, mounted ditch lights to both decks, ac on top, sinclair antennaes on both side of cab, firecrackers on roof of cab towards the dyn brake housing, installed grab irons and awaiting a sd50 handrail set to mutilate. She will be a dummy permanently matched up with a Conrail patched SD60 that will supply lights for the forward headlights and ditch lights as I disable the rear lights in the sd60 unit.
newest_011.jpg

My latest C40-9W NS unit; #9254 OLS unit with some new twists to it. It has solid sill stripes and the NS decal on the side has been changed to use the thoroughbreed decal instead, also has a full white face instead of just the brow.
newest_013.jpg

Jerome, heres one for ya: My bash of a NS switcher. What is it a MP15DC? Or kjust a reg sw1500? I don’t care too much for switchers, but thought I’d update this one at least.
newest_014.jpg

Aww, my kitbash of a Athearn AC4400 with extended dyn brakes into a NS ES44AC with ext dyn brakes, unit # 8002. I used a website, I’ll have to dig it up, as a guideline for bashing this unit:
newest_015.jpg

A certain young man traded me this loc shell and chassis for a few odd cars I had. He had stripped the driveline for use in another loco as he couldn’t get this one to run on the small diameter of track he is using. Well this one had a little surgery upon its return to the rails: I had to build new pilots on both ends, new driveline all the way through it, realign the wheelsets for proper gauge, and then installed a decoder, and she runs great now! My min radius is 26deg, so it has no problems negotiating my layout:
newest_017.jpg

1 of my newest acquisitions this past week: Athearn Blue Box C44-9W CNW # 8651 (top) and 8606 (below)
newest_018.jpg

newest_019.jpg

And lastly, my acquisitions from a trade for a couple of gp50’s undec’d, thenks Jerome::cool:
newest_020.jpg

newest_021.jpg

Eric, you've been busy!!!! That switcher looks like an Athearn BB SW1500. The MP15 has the grab irons on the engineer's side right next to the cab. The SW1500 has 2 grilled doors, then the grab irons. Hey those 2 units look good on your railroad!!! :)

Was able to catch GN. 2-10-2 No.2100 trundling slowly across Irene bridge on tiime with a long string of billboard reefers.

100_1199.jpg

Was able to catch GN. 2-10-2 No.2100 trundling slowly across Irene bridge on tiime with a long string of billboard reefers.

100_1199.jpg

Awesome looking bridge. Scratch built or kit?

oh and on a side note, is it true that railroads cannot run modern billboard cars like those above? I know WS does a few special schemes one being the Sargento cheese box car which looks really cool. But i had read that its not allowed.

Back