Weekend Fun!!!! 28-29-30 March

Great weathering work Zephyr. Rust on the cars looks great!

Nice switcher for the Reading there Tom.

The DME came out really well Jerome, nice work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a space heater out to my 3-season porch today to get the temperature up enough that I could get the painting process started on my enginehouse. More on that in my 'Enginehouse' thread later on. Porch worked out really well, retained heat nicely and is well ventilated...two important elements for painting.

While those parts were drying, I decided to take care of a few other small things. One of them being the attachment of sunshades on SCL #500 GP38-2. Have to keep that bright sun off of the crew you know. ;)

View attachment 9286

At the beginning I tough "its going to be a lazy weekend", but after watch all this photos... It was an spectacular weekend my friends!!!

I'm still looking for what can I do whit my models... May some light weathering...

Regards

Well my UPRR (HO scale) has obtained 2 new acquisitions. We have decided try long range fuel tenders for our diesels. (like the proto types) UPT7 and UPT8 were put into service on ready track. Next will be obtaining 4 new diesels that were typically used for these tenders. (the actual proto types used see below, info from Don Strack)

http://utahrails.net/up/up-loco-features.php

The diesel fuel tender program was assigned to a total of 10 GE units; C44ACs UP 6840-6845 (six units) and C40-8Ws, UP 9387-9390 (four units).

This was posted to Trainorders.com on February 1, 2001:

The tenders were tested beginning in May 1996. They were made from Class O-70-1 tank cars from the 70000-70199 number series. The tenders were numbered UPT 5 through UPT 8. The tank cars were originally built in the 1954-55 timeframe by American Car & Foundry. The cars were modified by Union Tank Car in Muscatine, Iowa. The cars were 51 feet long and had a capacty of 19,167 gallons.

UP assigned a total of six new GE C44CW (AC4400W) locomotives to their diesel fuel tender program. Their numbers were UP 6840-6845, built in October 1995. Several news reports also show four C40-8Ws, UP 9387-9390, built in February and March 1990, as being part of the program, but these were just planned and not actually converted.

View attachment 9287

View attachment 9288

View attachment 9289

View attachment 9290

P1010007-10.jpg

Paul,

I was looking at the Kadee trucks and couplers actually. Seems that there a lot of modelers actually switch over to Kadee's on all of their rolling stock. #5 and #58 seem to be pretty popular. Which couplers would you recommend?

Nice work everyone. If I had to do it again, I might switch to the new whisker couplers. They just seem like they would center more reliably.

Nice weathering work, Zephyr. I wonder if the engineers that designed those box cars meant for the roof to be left unpainted? Sure seems like galvanized steel rusts awfully fast on a boxcar

Carl, I agree with Chip. Get the whiskers version of the #5 coupler. No centering spring to fall out while you're trying assemble the couplers and they center as well or better than the older style.

Alco, that's the first time I've seen anyone model one of the UPT fuel tenders, Nice work on the paint, decals, and piping.

Tom, nice roll by on your rolling stock. I like the weathering on the L&NE boxcar.

Jerome, that's one colorful SD-40. Looks like the paint and decals came out great.

Mike, I swear that looks like the Collinwood shops in Cleveland. Too bad the photographer didn't have more information. You should go ahead and try some light weathering on your cars. Seach the web for prototype photos and try to emulate the look.

Very nice work this weekend, guys, sorry if I missed anyone.

the HO part...

At this meeting there was also a very nice detailed HO fremo-module layout with many scenes from the USA...

Jos

I went to Hobby Lobby today and came back with some goodies. A roll of stranded hook-up wire (22 gauge, 90 feet), a Bachmann Silver Series flatcar and two bottles of WS medium gray ballast.

P1010001-58.jpg

Josh- Nice work on those units, that slug is sweet!!

Jim- #5 it is, thanks a bunch.

Jeffrey- What do you think about that Silver Series Flat Car? The Hobby Lobby has some of them too but, I have no experience with Bachmann and a 40% OFF coupon. :D

Jeffrey- What do you think about that Silver Series Flat Car? The Hobby Lobby has some of them too but, I have no experience with Bachmann and a 40% OFF coupon.
It needs a little weight added to bring it up to NMRA weight standards. I can hide the weight in a load so that's no problem. The car rolls very easily, I can move it by just blowing on it gently. Around half my rolling stock is Bachmann Silver Series.

Back