Weekend Fun!!!! 28-29-30 March

The second project that I tried to get going this weekend is an AccuRail CN 50' Boxcar. I am going to make this one my first weathering attempt too so no real hurry on it. I basically unpacked it to see what I have to work with and what I will still need to get.

2373017146_d340e1b062_o.jpg

One thing that I do not like is the metal weight for the car. I would like to leave the doors opened on this, or at least partially opened, and the silver weight sits right there taking away from the overall appearance of the car. Is there a way that I can get around this without upsetting the balance of the car? Paint it black or cut it into sections and move it out of view?

I'll also need to get different couplers and a set of trucks with metal wheels. What do you guys recommend for these two items?

2373017160_600f290b43_o.jpg

Wow, what a batch of GREAT photos this weekend--

CJ: Might that incredibly handsome 2-10-2 of yours possibly have started out life as a Key USRA? If so, I really like the FWH addition you did to it, plus the shorter tender. Love the B&W photography. AND that nice job you did on the Burlington center-cab. Really nice work.

Tom:)

Yes, Tom, that is a Key import, but it is the Southern 2-10-2 version they imported. I really like that Cannon motor they provided the model with. This one can really "ghost" down the track and can really haul some tonnage! The "normal" for the model is 40-45 hoppers. I also have an Akane USRA light 2-10-2 that can pull even more!

SRR5200.png

Since you liked that B&W shot, how about this one

Waitin1-1.png

Carl, skip the weight and use some of the a-line 1/4 lead strips pushed way to either end.

did a bit of light weathering to the ballast plough and the Cargowaggon, these go past here every day, they never get cleaned and are just one grimy mud colour
10-08-07064.jpg

10-08-07065.jpg

10-08-07066.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great bunch of photos as usual, guys.
Steve, that ballast plough looks much better weathered. Is that a German prototype? What do those Cargo Wagons" carry? They have a very odd shaped roof line to a North American eye.

CJ, those Key Imports locomotives with the Cannon motors were something I could only drool over when they came out since I was a poor college student. We had a guy at the club who had the SP version and it regularly pulled 50 car trains up 2% grades.

Carl, you can also go the cheap route if you want hidden weights. Fishing weights are inexpensive and can be glued to the floor right over the trucks, where the weight does the most good. Just make sure you get both ends straight and even or you'll have a leaning boxcar. :)

It's interchange day on the P&N and the #638 is pulling out two empty carbon black hoppers from the paint factory to make room for flat car load of sheet steel for the lock plant.

638pullscoveredhoppersMedium.jpg

Now there's trouble. The local this morning is southbound and can't back into the interchange track since it's single ended and the CSX U30-C will get trapped if he tries to pick up the cars from the interchange track since poor engineering never added a run around track. Engineer Spike and the CSX hogger are discussing a plan.

SpiketalkingtoCSXhoggerMedium.jpg

They finally decide to break the local in two, leaving the flat and caboose down the tracks while Spike pushes the empty covered hoppers on to the main.

638uncouplesMedium.jpg

The local then backs up to pick up the covered hoppers and pulls forward again with the interchange flat after cutting off the caboose. Spike maneuvers the 638 to pick up the flat car and get it off the main.

638pickingupMedium.jpg

Finally, all is right with the world as the CSX local pulls out of town with the empties and Spike has the flat in tow to head for the downtown industrial track. The dispatcher never even caught on to how long the main was blocked.

CsxLocalLeavesMedium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures this morning Steve and Jim, nice work.

Thanks for the insight on the weights Josh and Jim too. I was hopping that just putting the weights over the trucks would work out. :)

Jeff: Are you going to power up that handsome L&N E-6? Next to the Alco PA's, I think the E-6's were the best looking passenger diesels ever made. That's sure a beautiful little lady, there.
I had only enough parts for just one of the two locos but her twin runs very nice.

Oh and of course Jeffrey, you were posting at the same time as me. :D

Looks like the sun is starting to lighten the skies in Louisiana.

Nice roster shot Bob but, #6 looks a bit too clean to be doing work in that area. :D Better put it on overtime.

Yes, Tom, that is a Key import, but it is the Southern 2-10-2 version they imported. I really like that Cannon motor they provided the model with. This one can really "ghost" down the track and can really haul some tonnage! The "normal" for the model is 40-45 hoppers. I also have an Akane USRA light 2-10-2 that can pull even more!

SRR5200.png

Since you liked that B&W shot, how about this one

Waitin1-1.png

Carey--

Nice work. Beautiful loco. I have one of the Key's--the Colorado and Southern model, and it's a beauty. And you're right about the motor--the little lady just glides along. Pulls nicely, too. The Rio Grande 'borrowed' it from C&S to help out on coal trains.
Here's a photo of her on Yuba Pass with a caboose hop.
104537131.jpg

Tom

This weekend I finished weathering some boxcars and worked on a new project, an Athearn GP38 for the Chicago Central & Pacific (Illinois Central's spinoff of the Iowa Division).

Here are the boxcars after the rust treatment. The oil needs to dry for a few days before I can dullcote them and finish the details. Two are CC (former ICG) and three are Route Rock subsidiaries C&A and W&OV.
img1828cc3.jpg

Here is the CC GP38, #2005. In real life this was a Chessie System unit. This is the first 100% prototypical custom locomotive I have done. It just needs couplers and DCC decoder installed.
img1829nq6.jpg

img1830bz2.jpg

img1833ei1.jpg

Another great weekend photo thread. Some great talent here!

Zephyr, that is some incredible work! I love the minute details on the boxcars, especially the former ICG cars... how you patched over the older reporting marks and put "CC", and on the other car, how you left the original "C" in "ICG" to serve as part of the new CC reporting mark. Very creative!

The rust is also spectacular. I also love that Chicago Central GP38. Can't wait to see them in person!

some great shots everybody!! Jim, i really enjoyed your back story to go along with the photos ... again, great shots Ya'll!!

Mikeknuckey
Nice looking kits!

Jeffery
Nice E6A!

Carey
Cool locos!

Selector
Nice shot of the loco working the coal drag!

Jeffery
Neat shot!

Bob
Great logging scene!

Steve
Cool proto steamer shot!
Great looking plough!

Carey
Nice boxcar!

Jeffery
Great scene at the tower!

Carl
Looking good!

Ron
Looks like things are progress well!

Steve
Nice weathering!

Jim
Great set of shots!

Jeffery
Neat night scene!

Bob
Another great photo!

Tom
Nice steamer!

Zephyr
Nice boxcars and loco!

Now at the Cement Distributors and caught the distributor switcher spotting some cars:

Nashville_cement003a.jpg

Athearn 40’ Boxcar – Lehigh & New England – Custom painted and decaled.

Nashville_cement004a.jpg

Accurail 40’ Boxcar – Nashville Road – Custom painted and decaled nad owned by a friend.

Nashville_cement005a.jpg

Atlas PS-2 Covered Hopper – Lehigh & New England

Back