Weekend foto fun 16-17-18... Almost time for turkey!

Close-up of the type of dead-end bumper I use. Take a guess as to which company makes it.

P1010001-26.jpg

I know these are repeats. I took a few pictures this morning before work. I tied using the macro setting and a timer with each preset function on my camera. I guess the auto setting is the best for me. No, I did not get to the backdrop yet!:) Next week maybe?

PB170068_edited.png

PB170070_edited.png

PB170067_edited.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My Switcher r

Looking good everyone , Jim love that background , John ballasting is sure time consuming ,Corey looks like the street is coing along , Jeffrey nice custom F unit there ,Smoke love that monster,Here's my latest aquisition a P2K SW9 Switcher
01010001.png

I have enjoyed all the images, everyone. Corey, your first two images are tack sharp. Really nice to see.:)

Here is my image for the week.

IMG_1487cadj.JPG

Crandell, I always enjoy your photos. If you don't mind me asking, what brand of passenger cars do you have, and what kind of lighting do you use?

Paul, I see your SW-8 has the same problem as mine - that bent up grab rail that runs the length of the hood. Have you figured out how to fix it yet? I'm about ready to pull it off and replace it with brass wire.

Maxi, the Walthers Instant Horizon line of backdrops have several sheets that have industrial or commercial structures. They look very 3-D, especially with a few extra shadows using pastels and pasting a cutout building or two to the front of the back drop on 1/8" foam to give it some depth. The only thing I don't like about them is the clouds, which aren't realistic at all, so I've been busy adding my own clouds with paint, pastels, and chalks

Corey, whatever you did with your camera for those first two shots, keep using those setting since it gives really clear and sharp pictures.

Crandall, another nice photo as always. What engine is that? It doesn't look like your usual Pennsy power.

Mabel and Willie are finally getting their new couch. Willie had to use the money he was saving for a new fishing pole but Mabel insisted on a couch :)

CouchDeliveryMedium.jpg

So the LLRC isnt the only group with that moving truck. Wow, with those colors I would have gotten the fishing pole! YUCK! I'd stay awake all night just knowing THAT'S in my house.

Howdy! Haven't posted in this thread for a couple weeks (Haven't gotten much accomplished). Some great looking work from all of you (way too many to list). I do love this thread and look forward to seeing your work!

I finally managed to spend a little time on the layout in the last couple of days and got the basic scenery and scene done at Thompson Tile Co. Still have a lot to do here - waiting on some figures to finish the scene. It always amazes me how photos show every detail that I screwed up........

Mr. Thompson drives the 1923 Fordson towing a log around to be sawed and split to fuel the kilns. He got it 2 years ago to replace an aging team of draft horses. He still likes to be the driver (doesn't trust most of the other guys).

ThompsonTiles7w.png

John sips his morning coffee on break when Harold shows up at the door. "Boss says ta git yer rear in motion. We gots wood ta split." Ayeup, I'll be there faster'n y' kin skin a mule" says John as he takes another sip....

ThompsonTiles6w.png

Couple overview shots of the area.

ThompsonTiles8w.png

ThompsonTiles9w.png

Boy, that couch is LOUD! It just screams the 1970's. My mother has a living room set that was just like it. She had them all reupholstered in the early 90's. They're still loud, but not as loud as they were. She still keeps covers on them so people don't see the print.

Some cracking pictures already from all of you and its only Saturday !!!

Busy day today hardly been in but got 30 mins in the shed.

The area just down from the cutting now has a station platform in the making, There was supposed to be a platform on the other side of the twin track aswell but the blade holder on my jigsaw decided to break !! I guess Its cut one too many kitchen worktops. I guess its a trip to the tool shop on monday.

S7002415.jpg

S7002417.jpg

S7002418.jpg

John
RJR

Corey, I wish I could remember who it is that makes/made the various pax cars, but it is either MDC or Roundhouse for either of them. I don't keep boxes and assembled these some time ago now. Aging memory and all that. Sorry.

I have track lighting in twin 10' tracks that you can get at HD. The white tracks come with separately purchased light fixtures that you press in and rotate a collar to get connection and to fasten them wherever you want them...a nice feature to get good shadows or to illuminate the front or back of something. The lights are mini-halogen GA10's. Hot! Fifty watts each, so that comes to 250 watts per track. :eek:

However, the camera, a Canon Powershot 710is, sometimes makes the image a bit yellow when I can't seem to get enough photons slapping the scene. For this image, it was a bit too yellow for my tastes, so I used the Microsoft Photo Editor to brighten it , alter the hue, reduce the saturation, and then to crop the image. More of the closest rails would have been visible and they were getting pretty fuzzy in the original...so out they came, including their surrounding layout surface. I cropped a window casing from the left. And so on.

As a general rule, I crop all my photos. I get tons of light on the area so that my camera will stop down the aperture for light control. It also reduces the exposure, but with the setting I use, it still doesn't keep me from fuzzy images...I prop the camera at "ground level" directly on tracks, a note pad, a piece of extruded foam waste, or on the tripod, and I do absolutely every time use a two second delay on the shutter release so that the camera and support have a chance to settle after I depress the button.

I try to set the camera as far back as I can and take a well-light prefocused shot. Then, to get the proximity that I want for the viewers to see the items well, I crop the image at the periphery to get rid of unwanted spherical aberrations and unfocused objects. When I accept the altered image ("save changes?"), what I kept springs up to full size on the viewer, and it is just as if I had the camera right there and focused.

I hope that is useful for you. Not that you seem to need it. :D

-Crandell

Jim, thanks for your generous remarks. It's a BLI Hudson, after the NYC J1d, but it is TH&B's #501, one of two that they acquired from the NYC, their major partner/owner. The CPR owned the rest of the company. I have three NYC engines and four Pennsy engines, my two favourite roads.

Note the NYC Niagara in my photo at upper left. I love the Hudson's lines, but the S1b is breathtaking to me. So, it figures prominently.

You have a good eye for details. My compliments. :D

-Crandell

Now you've all made Mabel feel bad for her choice of couch. :mad: In Alabama, couches like that are the height of fashion. It's still somewhere about 1975 here, both on my layout and in real life.:eek:

Ray, those are some very nice scenes, along with the appropriate dialog for some southern boys. Did you paint the backdrop yourself? If so, It's a really fine job. Working on my own backdrop makes me realize how hard it is to get it looking right.

John, when you break the blade holder off a jigsaw, God is trying to tell you it's time for a new one. :) Nice looking platform though. Did you laminate the wood to build up the platform?

Thanks, Crandell. I though that it had that lean look of a an NYC steam engine. The NYC and Nickle Plate were still using steam in Cleveland when I was a kid so seeing locomotives from either of those roads triggers a lot of memories. My grandmother was a rate clerk with the Pennsy so we used to get some free trips from Cleveland to Pittsburgh on her pass. There were still some coal drags working steam by the Pennsy in the Pittsburgh area but it was all diesel in Cleveland.

Ray, those are some very nice scenes, along with the appropriate dialog for some southern boys. Did you paint the backdrop yourself? If so, It's a really fine job. Working on my own backdrop makes me realize how hard it is to get it looking right.

Thanks Jim! Now Harold was born south of the Mason Dixon Line but John, he's Yankee through and through! His parents came from Connecticut about 1885. He's a Robinson related to me Grandmama. Ayeup! My grandmother used all those New England words like Whatchamacallit, and Thingamabob (as in Bud, go get me the whatchamacallit, its in the dining room next to the thigamabob). She was prone to diseases like "the final come an getcha" and the "Ohmy".

Yep the backdrop was hand painted by little old me.

Dang! Trashcans! I've got barrels, crates, boxes, skids, cartons, and even a dumpster but no trashcans. Those are some pretty good looking models. You wouldn't happen to have a few dozen extra, would you? :)

Chessie, nice looking engine. Is that a Bachmann GP-38? If so, how do you find it runs? My CSX GP-38 pulls good but it sure is noisy and no amount of lubrication makes a difference.

Ray, "Whatchamacallit" and "Thingamabob" were common Ohio words too. No one in Alabama ever heard of them. Did you do your backdrop on masonite? The trees looks good, as do the clouds. I'm kind of kicking myself for not painting my own backdrop now. Except for the city scenes, I can do a way better job of painting hills, sky, and clouds than Walthers did. Now I'm having to blend in clouds and sky I'm repainting to the existing Wathers backdrop.

Jim: No, it's not a Bachmann, it's a Proto 2000. It runs smooth and quite. We have another one in CR paint. These are very nice engines, I wish they would make a GP40 !!

Back