Weekend foto fun 16-17-18... Almost time for turkey!

BNSF dude

BNSF foamer
It's that time of week again, the glory of the days we all show off our projects, rosters and more. Doesn't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
Anyways, just a few pics here of my BLI SD40-2 and some other stuff of mine.

Turkey? That was last month. Crazy Americans :D

This week I've been working on an elevator for my club's cement plant. This is the main elevator for storage of raw materials including lime stone and clay. The elevator will be about 2.5' long and 12" high. It is made from 2" PVC pipes glued together. So far I have all the pipes cut and glued. I also glued styrene strips between the pipes to fill the spaces. I am in the process of filling and sanding all the styrene to pipe joints right now. Next will be the add the top and construct the machinery tower.

The last pic is of my new Athearn Maxi-I car. This car is out standing! Athearn has set the bar very high with this release. I'm surprised it doesn't say Genesis on the box. I hope the new spine car look this good.

Anthony, I like your storage system!:) I see you are from Wilmar MN. I'm originally from Mankato.

Here are a few pictures with my newly improved lighting. Now, if I could learn to take better pictures I'd be in business!

A shot with my newly laid, concrete sidewalks. The floating building on the right will receive a side walk shortly.
PB140050_edited.png

A shot of the only ballasted area of the layout.

PB140048.png

Coming round the upper level to the bridge.

PB140044.png

Last but not least, the new, old sidewalk. This is still in progress to get the right coloring.

PB140040_edited.png

Looking good there Fred! I love how smooth the Maxi-I cars run! I ran my friends behind my BLI and they were smooth, no jolting either. Honestly the layout isn't mine, its my friends, though all the carse and locomotives on the train featured are mine. I dont have a layout of my own yet :(

Looking good fellows. It amazes me to see how fast some of you get things done. I guess that I have too many moments of "but if's" and "what if's"...and then again it may have something to do with me not knowing what I'm doing half the time:eek: :D .

Anthony, it would help a lot if you got the boxes out of the pictures. I think your camera is autofocusing on the boxes instead of the models.

Fred, that looks like a realy good way to build cement silos. Probabaly a little cheaper than buying them from Walthers too. :)

John, those retaining walls are the ones that are made out of paper, right? You did a good job making them look like the real thing. The fencing on top adds a nice touch.

Corey, it looks like things are coming along nicely on your town. If I can make a suggestion, are you planning on putting up a backdrop? If so, do it now before you have all your other scenery in. I made the mistake of putting mine up when the layout was mostly sceniced and it took about two hours to repair all the things I knocked over get the backdrop in place.

I'll have to take a few pictures now that the backdrop is up. I used Walthers Instant Horizons. It looks OK after a fair amount of detailing including adding a lot more clouds. The Instant Horizon scenes are really nice for a desert layout but not so good for one set in the south.

Looking good fellows. It amazes me to see how fast some of you get things done. I guess that I have too many moments of "but if's" and "what if's"...and then again it may have something to do with me not knowing what I'm doing half the time:eek: :D .
No kidding hey!?

Jim, I realise my cam was auto focusing, but it isnt my layout and he and I didnt know where to put the boxes. He has over 3000 different boxes with loco's and freight cars.

Jim, the lack of a backdrop is starting to get to me. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to use. Two walls are fabric stapled to furring strips and insulation. A third wall is peg board and slot wall. I've thought of stapling a light blue sheet to the walls just to cover the ugly tablecloth fabric. Part of me thinks that will look cheesy. Maybe that will have to be my next project.

Man Jeffrey, allot of Alco trucks on your units!
I only have two EMD units with Alco trucks, a GP38-2 and an F7A. On my other odd-balls is a SD40-2 with a GE cab, a GP50 with two cooling fans on the dynamic brake housing instead of one and an old streamlined observation car relegated to MoW duty as the MoW supervisors personal car.

So, here is my contribution for this thread :) nothing special, but I try to take some pics which won't show much of the bacground, since my layout is still bare.

Station_Night3_sm.jpg

Station_Night2_sm.jpg

Anthony, he has 3,000 boxes of locomotives and rolling stock? All is forgiven. :)

Maxi, nice time exposure shot you made. Looks like the real thing.

Corey, why not pick up a couple of yards of light blue material and see how it looks? It probably won't be ideal but it will be better than a diner tablecloth. :p

Speaking of backdrops, I finally got mine up. It still needs some more work but at least y'all won't ever have to look at green concrete blocks again.:D

The first shot is the CSX local headed by GP-35 4406 heading out of town:

CSXGP-35leavingtownMedium.jpg

The same train threading its way through the industrial district:

CSXGP-35throughdowntown.jpg

The P&n 638 switches the yard while an Alabama thunderstorm builds up in the distance:

SwitchingwhiethestormapproachesMedi.jpg

Looking west up First Street. This is where you can really see the value of a backdrop in expanding the apparent horizon:

FirstAvelookingWestMedium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I fiNished this moNster.
IMG_1046.jpg

nice. did you detail it and weather it?

I just made my very first brand spankin new loco purchase yesterday. Athearn genesis NYS&W SD40T-2. To be honest a lil disappointed. The walkway's are plain smooth plastic, no treads. There are no ditch lights which surprised me, i mean what new loco doesn't come with them. Other then that it felt cool to buy a brand new train. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks Jim, I'm trying to experiment and take some pictures without scnenery :p, the layout is still bare, I'm mostly working on the dockside to finish that, since its the furthest detailed part on my layout.

Nice backdrops Jim, I never knew such backdrops with industrial buildings, existed.

Back