Useful Dollar store finds

10 tubes of super glue, can of rust colored primer, 8 foam brushes, set of 6 sharpie fine points....if you spend the time looking while your wife is wandering around, there are some useful MR items there.

10 tubes of super glue, can of rust colored primer, 8 foam brushes, set of 6 sharpie fine points....if you spend the time looking while your wife is wandering around, there are some useful MR items there.

Jim i didnt know they had the Super Glue there! I was paying $5.00 for the 10 tubes at my local True Value Hardware store LOL (still not a bad price at all might i add :D)

I bought some really nice hobby knives with 5 #11 blades for $1.00 each. Cutting mats, decent paint brushes, 5 minute epoxy, stainless steel sauce cups at 4 for $1.00(I use these for mixing paints) and lots of other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

Rubber bands for the old Athearn "Hi-Fi's", clear nail polish for sealing electrical connections, "tupperware" with lids for paint stripping vats, a set of mini-clamps, eye shadow for weathering, make-up brushes,................

Bob

Florists foam blocks, floral wire, mini plier set, tweezers and forceps--yeah, I know:rolleyes::), For Sale signs, stirring stix, make up brushes, oil paint in tubes and stix, acrylic paint sets, nibbler, punches with attachments---

I've picked up many things too, one that has not been mentioned are the small lighted items offered as jewelery. They usually have one or more LEDs and come with small button batteries all ready to go. I picked up a small searchlight mounted on a trailer in a toy department, modified it so the LED actually lighted up the light. Don't really have a use for it, just did it to see if I could do it - all for a few bucks!

Some of the lighted items have flashing LEDs, useful in many ways on the layout - crossing lights, lights on emergency vehicles, etc. I'm always on the look out for something of interest when I visit!

There's also a variety of wooden dowels and skewers that can be used for hundreds of projects. (Well, okay thirteen that I've done)

At Christmas time you can usually find tractor trailers for a buck. The tractors are usually to big or to small, but you can use the trailers for containers on your intermodal cars. I take off the old paper stickers & decal them.

Every time I go through a dollar store I find something new to use for modeling. Paint, paint brushes, skewers, tweezers, pliers, cutting mats, rotary blade knives, etc, the list is endless. One of the things I buy most often is mini quick clamps. My club is building a new layout using spline, so we need lots of clamps!

Back