Under Construction - Birmingham UK

That is the first time in months I've been completely fooled by a model, it's so realistic, it's absolutely incredible! Having everything subtly weathered really helps, as does the lighting angle. Top drawer work!

Thanks Miles

Eagle eyed visitors to this thread may have noticed a 'gap' in the scenery at the end of platform 1. The real place has a little area with clutter including a large tank. What its for I have no idea!

Anyway efforts to fill the hole are underway and the following shows my progress so far. It all needs a spot of weathering to bring it all together yet.

little%20area%20p1.jpg

The tank is actually a prit stik lid wrapped with some etched smokebox wrappers I had in my spares box. The upper bit is the core of a till receipt roll!

Cheers

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All

Prototype pic of the real 'little area'

little%20area%20real.jpg

As you can see I have compromised the area a little and lost the container building thing (which I am not convinced would have been correct for the 80's anyway. the area is now weathered a bit and I will post another pic later.

Cheers

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All

Another pointless little padlock! 3 feet + between this and the viewing public but...

little%20area%20gate.jpg

Added some weathering and litter to the little area. The litter being simply a few bits of stretched out thin carrier bag and some microstrip painted red with the ends picked out with a silver marker to represent coke cans! - Time to move on to the next thing!

little%20area%203.jpg

But not before a little play with the light!

little%20area%204.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Hi ALL

I have no idea what this is - perhaps its some sort of filler for the 08's that never seem to leave the station, it could just be the filling point for the tank, on the other side of the station, for whatever the tank is used for or perhaps its some sort of fire safety system?

Anyway I have been meaning to model it and tonight I got around to soldering a few bits of wire together, Its a bit big but since you cant see it from the front of the layout anyway...

pumps.jpg

Cheers

Jim

What ever IT is .. it is .. interesting! :)

When I was in Germany, I noticed these cement boxes, one beside each door of the shops at the motor pool. Under a rusty cover there was a connection for what looked like a water hose. Found out that they were for Tiger Tanks. They would hook the tanks up to the connections and pump hot water through them during the winter.

Just saying .. you never know ... :/

Thanks Ed

When I built it last night I had no idea what it was - I just copied the pics I had. However this morning a couple of people have told me its the distribution manifold for compressed air as used in the Westinghouse EP point motors.

HTH

Jim

Hi All

Most of my point motors (scenically I mean) are the Westinghouse EP type - however there is one slip where there is no room for these. Luckily Colin Craig has not long introduced a selection of bits for the clamp lock type so in the tradition of the prototype these have been bodged to fit my Bullhead rail

clamp%20locks%202.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

I have been following your post for a while now and all I can say is WOOOW!! When you posted your proto pic it took me about 5 minutes to convince myself that it was not another picture of your work.

Thanks bkpigs

Back in February 2007 I printed the first track plans for my New Street project. I thought, as its a shade over 3 years since then, a then and now might be interesting.

index-3.jpg

progress%201%20april%202010.jpg

index-2.jpg

progress%202%20april%202010.jpg

More pics from today to follow!

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

A few more pics.

view%20from%20the%20back.jpg

This is the view from the back with 50023 poking its nose out from behind the wall.

staff%20building%20in%20position.jpg

The view from platform 2 - looking towards wolverhampton.

rats%20at%20BNS.jpg

50033%20at%20BNS.jpg

87009%20at%20BNS.jpg

(I really like this one!)

rats%20in%20the%20rain.jpg

Just for fun!

Cheers

Jim

Once again Jim, your work is outstanding! Is this just a diaroma or is it part of a bigger layout? I know you posted the answer to my question here some where........I'm just to lazy to go look!;-) Thanks!

Back