Under Construction - Birmingham UK

Hiya

Its a lot cleaner now than it was in the 80's. I have to texture the white bits yet for which i will be using roughcote, Then its fixing the window frames that were damaged in the 'rebuild' before getting on with the interiors

Jim

Hi All

With my thoughts on my signal box my attention has been drawn to the lighting gantry outside of it. Express models do a lighting gantry but alas the top platform is square while the one at New Street is round. I was able to source the etched bits that Express Models use and set about scratchbuilding the platform. I used an english 10 pence piece to assist me file the platform out of 20 thou NS. This was then overlaid with planking and the rest built up from various metal sections from my scrap box. As the layout is set in the day I didn't need the lights to work!

Cheers

Jim

lighting%20tower%201.jpg

lighting%20tower%202.jpg

Wow, another nice scratchbuild project, Jim. We'd call that a floodlight tower over here. I like the cables running down the side too.

Hi All

Work continues on my Signal box.

This is pretty much there now - Just needs weathering which as the smaller building is secured to the layout I will do in situe. I need to do some work on the interior too but that can be done after the weathering stage.

signal%20box%20-%20pre%20weathering.jpg

I decided the safety cage on the ladder was too heavy so I redid it with finer wire.

signal%20box%20street%20door%202.jpg

Jim

Hi

Its all scratchbuilt from bits of brass. The actual line is .25mm brass coated steel which. apparently, is used in the steel industry for cutting sheet metals

Regards

Jim

WOW, the rooftop of that structure is absolutely beautiful! The air conditioner's cadged ladders, vents, and that other thing in the far corner in the first picture (not sure what it is LOL) really make that roof all that much more real! Great work on the exterior of the structure, and great work on its roof as well.

Jim, nice to see the whole thing finally together and fitting the spot it was made for. Excellent job. It's hard to appreciate how much time and effort went into that structure unless one has been following your whole build thread.

Thanks Jim

Chris, the ribbing is made from Evergreen L section after I abandoned my initial idea of using cast resin. There are over 70 Lengths in the structure all of which needed a slight trim to bring them down the the right width

Regards

Jim

Hi All

Sometimes I just fancy a quick, simple project to give me a spot of instant gratification. On a project of this scale theres plenty of opportunity for those and it just so happens that the cable bridge by the signal box fit the bill nicely!

Constructed mostly of foamboard and card this picture shows the sub parts just losely positioned.

cable%20bridge.jpg

To get the corrigated roof to hold its shape I used an old cardboard tube as a sub former.

door.jpg

On the public facing support (on the left in the first picture) there is a door. This picture shows the padlock before painting. Its really just a few bits of microstrip and a couple of filaments of wire

A bit of weathering. The method is simple. Paint a base of thinners onto the model then work wet in wet with a small pallet of colours. Add more thinners if needed to blend it all together.

cable%20bridge%20weathering.jpg

Jim

Hi All

This post comes with a warning - if anyone is bored of seeing pictures of that b*****y signal box please look away now!

For those still here I have been weathering! It now looks far more like the depressingly filthy thing it was in the 80's!

signal%20box%20close%20up.jpg

signal%20box%20from%20below.jpg

I couldn't resist a bit of photoshoppery on this one!

signal%20box%20play.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Back