Uncoupling tools

Motley

I was wondering what everyone uses for uncoupling tools?

I found the Rix Uncoupling tool, does that work well? Do I need to change the couplers on loco or rolling stock using the Rix tool?

I have used the Rix tool for many years and it does work well. It does take some practice to become proficient, but it is an easy learning curve. They're cheap enough to leave them scattered about the edge of the layout.

The Rix tool works ONLY with magnetic couplers such as Kadee.

Bamboo kabob skewers. I think the last one was $0.04. :D

Pointy end into the couplers, bunch slack a wee bit, twist the skewer, and back off the cars. Done.

-Crandell

hmm, sounds like screwers are the way to go.

What about the Rix Rail it thing? I know i'm having a hard time getting the XXXX wheels aligned on the track! :eek: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Rix uncoupler and skewers.

The RailIt I have lying in various parts of the layout. Even carry on in the tool box for traveling. I've not had problems with railing cars at all.

Just make sure the end is down between the rails.

Bob

I have rerailers in strategic spots for that. They make getting the wheels on the rails easy.

I keep a Rix Uncoupling Tool at each end of my layout. I also have rerailers around my layout, but keep a Rix Rail It nearby for rerailing in those oddball locations. They're both cheap and simple to use.

Skewers work fine for me also. The rerailer things works great and is worth the money if your hands or eyes don't work quite as well as they used to. I'm pretty sure I'd need it if I was in N scale.

I'll have to try the slim Bamboo Skewers, I made a couple of different kinds and while they work they could do a better job. One was a larger wooden meat skewer about 3/16" in dia. with the pointed end sanded down a bit, the other is a small section of rail ground down and fit into a handle.

I imagine the slimmer Bamboo skewer might be what I also need.

Thanks Crandel, Drew and others.

I'm with the skewer crowd as well.
Each operator gets one in various colors (also used to stir paint:D).
They're great for many other things as well and a big bundle at the dollar store costs... well a dollar!

I prefer the Rix tool over skewers - the Rix tool straddles the couplers instead of have to get the skewer tip "into" the coupler so it's easier for me to use.

The Rix railer is very handy but I also have an Atlas rerailer on a background spur on my current HO shelf layout.

I also found out that the throw-away chop sticks you get an various Chinese places work great too once sharpened in a pencil sharpener and sanded a bit and you always get two of them too!

I use the bamboo skewers as well. I like to take a bit more of a hands on approach to model railroading. That's why I plan to use ground throws on my next layouts turnouts whenever possible.

I use the bamboo skewers as well. I like to take a bit more of a hands on approach to model railroading. That's why I plan to use ground throws on my next layouts turnouts whenever possible.

I have the same feelings. I use all Caboose ground throws on all of my turnouts. Love them, it puts another element into operating.

If'n I gets too wekt up overs cuplers not uncuplin'....I gets me hammer, a big'un That usally werks. Kinda hard on da cars tho.

Az yew kin sea, Hookt on Foniks werkt fer me.

Bob

Back