The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks! What a beautiful day in T-town. I believe I will order a big greasy and loaded hamburger, onion rings, and a medium Pepsi.

CJ: Great news about Glen joining the Forum. Hi Glen...where ever you are!

Eric:I finally remembered what you reminded me of with all the spare pairs of wires I have around the layout. Gads, I can't believe that I forgot about them for signaling when that was why I did it in the first place:confused: :D They may not take care of all the needs, but they sure will be a big help.

Any ideas for the next ARG?

Josh: I think you will find most companies open to guys just getting out of the military. They like the fact that you have learned self-discipline, good work ethics, and responsibility. The only suggestion I have is to avoid military contractors. Where the pay sounds good, you have to keep in mind that they are under contract...no contract...no job.;)

Rex:

I just lurking around! LOL

I have been considering our options for having the next ARG meeting in Odenville at the WC&W RR. The required "honey do" project is proceeding. Hopefully it will wrap up by month end.

I still have to work out a usable parallel port printer or acquire new software to control car movements. I do have another printer that I haven't used in years that might still work if I can find a ribbon for it.

If I can get switchlists the layout should handle 3 operators. One in the steel mill and two main line trains. I guess we could crank up the doodle bug and try for a third mainline job. I guess if we assign engineers and conductors to each train and use a dispatcher we could keep 8 folks busy.

We could fill in with a trip to the platform in Irondale after lunch or I could pull out slides from the late 70's and early 80's.

What do you think?

Glenn

Flo, I'll have a "wild cherry" Pepsi with a turkey club sandwich (extra bacon if you got it)...

Hi gang,

Been very uneventful here today in the mid Atlantic region (guess we can't really say the same for NS in Alabama:( ) . I spoke with Dean F. this morning, he finally got the pics I snail-mailed to him, so now I can go ahead and post them online. They probably won't appear until tomorrow evening, since I still need to prepare the accompanying text, etc.

Josh - I know somebody from the forum "across the street" that took a hostler job with UP within the past 6 months, he used to be an airplane mechanic.

Glenn, welcome to the Coffee Shop and the forum! I'm always happy to see another steel mill modeler online, can't wait to see some pix of your layout.

Luc, that's interesting you mentioned about an opthalmologist - I need to consult with one of those guys/gals to make sure I don't have glaucoma (my family is at high risk for that condition, it nearly blinded my mother before she died). I keep forgetting to make the appointment, I wonder why?:rolleyes:

RexHea said:
...Any ideas for the next ARG?
Rex, Why don't you guys all come up to Baltimore (Timonium to be exact) for the upcoming Great Scale Model Train Show on Feb 3 & 4?:p :D

Well, back to the grind...

Last edited by a moderator:
KenL: That would be great. I wonder, maybe we can get Grande man to "borrow" one of the company's jets. Cjcrescent could fly it;I will navigate;Eric can fix it;Glen can pay for the fuel:D . (probably end up in a swamp in southern Georgia :eek: )

Glen: That sounds like a great plan in any combination. You could make the options dependant on the weather. Make the date later in the month at your convenience. No hurry!
Glen, didn't you used to work in a steel mill?

Ken L:

I'll try to post some pictures of my layout next week.

Rex:

Yes, I spent 9.5 years working in the Republic Steel (Then LTV Steel) Mill in Gadsden, AL. Working in the Industrial Engineering Dept allowed me to work all over the plant. Nobody else in the Dept liked having to do time studies on the Transportation Dept (Railroad), I normally got to do all of them unless more than one person was required. Spent a lot of time at the Blast Furnace condusting pellet tests the first few years I work there. I may have to seriously modify the Walthers Blast Furnace to more closely resemble the #2 Furnace. Would rather do the #1 Furnace because it would agrevate more nit pickers, but the arrangement will not fit on my layout.

Glenn

RexHea said:
KenL: That would be great. I wonder, maybe we can get Grande man to "borrow" one of the company's jets. Cjcrescent could fly it;I will navigate;Eric can fix it;Glen can pay for the fuel:D . (probably end up in a swamp in southern Georgia :eek: )

Hey if you're in the area can I hitch a ride? I'll even put in $5 for the gas:D

Honest:rolleyes:

Well this evenings project is ballast, ballast, ballast and painting the Roundhouse Boiler Room. Yes Rex my Model power Avery's Gold Refining Shed came in and it's time to install it.

At this rate the Roundhouse will be finished within a week, Turntable is done the the ballast for the turntable is drying, Yard, Yard facilities, and Round house lighting is in. Next is the yard switches, which will be a modified design something between my pull/push slide switch rods and Joe Fugate's latch design. Because each Slide rod switch will operate 2 turnouts it will be a Control rod/wire/spring loaded affair.:confused: Exactly!

Well better get at it as Dad is falling asleep and I promised him an operating session!

PS Luct: I'm afraid My Scouting Days are regretfully over.:(

Later everyone

Fergie

RexHea said:
I can test and pump it for a small fee... ;-)

Anyways, yeah not to worried about getting a job, its just getting one that'll pay well enough to support me living in San Diego or the immediate area, AND my hobbies, thus why I have websites. Now to may them payout enough to get me some profit.

Lets see now...Push red button to start....make sure rev's stay at 1500....don't pull blue handle until airborne...flaps fifteen....air speed indicator..must be this doohickey here....

Hey! Easier than I thought!!!

Cjcrescent said:
Lets see now...Push red button to start....make sure rev's stay at 1500....don't pull blue handle until airborne...flaps fifteen....air speed indicator..must be this doohickey here....

Does the blue handle raise the wheels by chance? good thing to leave until your up up and away!!

Ken.

Cjcrescent said:

Yep!! Looks easy to me
cid_005101c6120bed657f706501a8c0DJK.gif

Fergie - Sorry to hear you had to give up scouting. :( Hopefully, some day you'll get back into it.

Happy MRRing

Cjcrescent said:

CJ- The only way you will get that steam engine off the ground is to jump the tracks.:eek:
Hummm... were you driving the train at Lincoln the other night??

Next time we get together, tell me more about the ARG.

Evening / afternoon all,
hello to our new patrons, i'll get the next round in.
i am starving, just thrown up the scaffolding all round the extension this afternoon, very entertaining in gale force winds, the boards were doing a kind of dance, till i sat a ton of bricks on them !!!
Fergie good luck with the turnout controls, i thought of useing an R/C servo to switch the turnouts in multiple by useing snakes, just never got round to doing it last time but i may try it now during the re vamp.

Steve B said:
Evening / afternoon all,
hello to our new patrons, i'll get the next round in.
i am starving, just thrown up the scaffolding all round the extension this afternoon, very entertaining in gale force winds, the boards were doing a kind of dance, till i sat a ton of bricks on them !!!
Fergie good luck with the turnout controls, i thought of useing an R/C servo to switch the turnouts in multiple by useing snakes, just never got round to doing it last time but i may try it now during the re vamp.

How where you planning on controlling the servos? DCC or R/C/transmitter?

Slow day on the M.E.S.S. as the garage needed sorting out and i was keeping an eye on Dear Dad as he's on the mend. But we got a small op session in there and ran trains. The Roundhouse is now standing room only. The occupants finally moved in.

Good night all

Fergie

Wow where's everybody at this morning, this place is totally deserted...

I need a #8 turnout for an interchange track I'm adding, looks like I'll have to make a trip to my semi-local HS (M.B. Klein) this morning - the one in my neighborhood doesn't carry Code 83 track (shame, shame)! "Ohh but we can order it for you" he says with a big smile. OK I'll give him an "A+" for attitude but a "C-" for selection, something generic like Atlas Code 83 track should never have to be special-ordered (just my .02).

Have a great Saturday everybody!

P.S. While I'm there maybe I'll see if they have any of those Athearn Mack trucks that Josh was telling us about [self-control, gotta practice self-control....!]:p :D

Good morning! I'm here. It just takes us west-coasters a while to get moving on weekends! ;) We have party plans today --- our daughter's birthday. We'll meet for lunch, and then will sit on the granddaughters while mom and dad go out for dinner later. It's a gorgeous sunny day today, so maybe the girls and I can run trains outside for a while.

NZRMac said:
Does the blue handle raise the wheels by chance? good thing to leave until your up up and away!!

Ken.

NO! NO! We best leave the wheels down for the whole trip...to bounce off of the roof tops:D :D .

Hi Gang! We have another warm day in BAMA country. I believe we will have Easter flowers on Valentine's day. Had a full day visit from Cjcrescent yesterday. All we did was have a good time passing lies about everything from trains to aligators and running a few trains.

Today, it's back to Sawmill Ridge for me. I have had to wait for some plaster to dry in my log pond, but it now seems to be ready to continue on with painting, water, and etc.

Have a GREAT Saturday!

NoSpaceOreCashRR said:
Luct,
Were you also in Scouting?

I assisted with a troup few years ago. I was a Queen Scout (Chief, Eagle scout) in my youth.

I've been told that RT has been hospitalized with some sort of heart problem. Please keep him in your thoughts.

Happy MRRing
chase.gif

Fergie i was going to gut out all the electronic stuff so they worked on DC via push button switches.
Great day today, cut 9 holes in the house to hold the new timber floor joists, the CFO was in bed after working last night and i was attacking the bricks with a 9" cutter and hammer and chissel, not a good idea,,, but the work HAD to be done for tommorow, no pain no gain, i'l have to treat her good next week.
I just posted my first thread, it's a few links to some great video clips, mostly Steam, there is a brief shot of a diesel, being overtaken by a steamer,

Hello.

This the track plan that I'm trying to complete HO scale

cid_027701c61e48dfc276e06501a8c0DJK.gif

Gloetown.jpg

It is freelance with the G & L leasing from CPR and CNR.

It is about 80% complete. It is on a 4 X 8 table. Now this is my first attempt in building a layout. So far so good.

My wife Gloria (Gloe) got the bug back into me and is, for the most part, supportive.

My son Steve helped a lot in building the table and of course my grandsons are all interested and are patiently waiting the opportunity to run trains especially my youngest on, he is 7 and is very respectful of the layout.

Hope you're all having a great weekend.

Happy MRRing
chase.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back