The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
leghome said:
INstead of the paramedics bring on the Babes for the Sports Illistrated Swimsuit Edition. On second thought that may not be a good ideeeeee either cause I don't think divorce court sounds to good. Oh well the thought was nice for a fleeting moment.

Talk about a "stress test"!!!:D:D:D

Rex!

"From all I understand by talking with members of the "Wrecking Crew", it will be a day that must be recorded for posterity. Can you imagine CJ with even benchwork. I believe we should invite the Birmingham News with photographer. "
You have CJ pegged pretty well! If he hosts the ARG, I'll have to stop by with a camera. Maybe he will lay a NEW 2 x 4 across sawhorses for his benchwork. I can't remember if he was using green construction paper or a grass mat for scenery the last time I was at his home.
Despite ragging CJ so hard, I can hardly wait until he feels up to another little "daytrip" to Saluda, NC. Hopefully, the trains will be "tripling the hill" again.
Alright, CJ, your turn to take shots!:p

Morning / afternoon / evening all,
how's things going over there, it's been a very sunny day here.
Things are very quiet at work without Glynn, a middle manager told us to keep things low profile about his death, he didn't want to much of an impact on our work,,,not a good thing to say on his part, he was sent on his way big style, then at the weekly afternoon meeting they tried to keep things quiet again so i hijacked the meeting and made sure all 112 people new what had happened, you can't pretend nothing has happened when a guy who has done 32 years service dies can you, i told everyone, if you want to go to the funeral you can do, the middle managers looked like they could have crawled under the nearest carpet, and rightly so.

later

Good on you Steve, sorry to hear about your loss.

A close work mate died playing cricket last year (heart disease) My boss gave us the day off for the funeral, and then we all headed to the pub for the afternoon. It was a great way to farewell a good friend.

Ken.

Worse thing a person can do is to bottle it all up. Things under pressure tend to eventually go boom! Go figure!! Regardless I hope all is well Steve as things like this can really have a major impact.

Well Gents I'm down to my last nine days then it's off again. Though I've been alongside all month I'm zoo'd. Man I start nodding off by 9 then up again at 5.

(put snoring emoticon here) ZZzzzzz ZZzzzzzz Zzzzz

Howdy all! I'll have a decafe...........

Steve, sorry about the tragedy at work. I don't blame you for getting ticked at the Middle Management. Amazing how calous people can be at times. I think NZRMac's boss handled things much better!

Fergie, It sounds like you are ready to weigh anchor and get to sea. Hope you still will have time to visit. Don't forget to show pics of all the models I bet you will work on while at sea.

I have been trying to catch up on work that got postponed while I was rehearsing (Live Sound) with the local High School spring musical. Perfomances were last weekend and the stage got striked on Tuesday. So I have finally got to finish the recording of an Elementary All-County Concert from March 4th. today. Done and ready to mail to customers. I have, of course, reserved a fair amount of time for the hobby (first things first ya know!) and 3 days ago started a Campbell Models building (you know one of those with about 27 steps to complete). I am proud to tell you I am after 3 days finally........ on step 2.

Gotta go watch the glue dry! Later!

Hi crew,

Just another winter day here in the sunny MidAtlantic - OK by me, that will delay the re-growth of my lawn, IOW more time for trains!

Steve - Reading your account of those upper-managers at your firm, reminded me of a cover story in TIME magazine a few years ago about something called the "Emotional Intelligence" quotient (EQ) - and how some people with tremendous technical/math brainpower couldn't succeed because they didn't have a clue about getting along with others. Looks like your managers have risen to their level of incompetence!:rolleyes:

Fergie - Will you be available for skyping anytime this coming weekend? If so, let me know the times (here or via email)...

OMG lookit the time, gotta run...toodles

CSX_road_slug said:
Hi crew,

... and how some people with tremendous technical/math brainpower couldn't succeed because they didn't have a clue about getting along with others. Looks like your managers have risen to their level of incompetence!:rolleyes:
Ken- The infamous "Peter Principle" at its best!! In the sequel to "The Peter Principle", one of his "prescriptions" to change this attitude was to demote the offending people back down one or two notches so they could 1. Learn to get along with the people who actually do 97% of the work, and 2. (My favorite),They will actually become contributing members to society.

Mikey- I'm up for a trip to Saluda anyday, week, month etc etc etc. But until the grade is reopened, (rumors about which abound, but no action has been taken on NS's part yet), it would be a waste of a trip. If you remind me I can make a Photo CD of my trip there last year. Rails are rusted, signals turned off, crossing gates removed, and warning signals covered. Also since then, behind the restaurant on the US Hiway between Tryon and Melrose, there before Pearson Falls Road, the roadbed has been partially washed out with no sign of repair yet.:(

Yeah, its easy to rag me about my "no layout" status and how it probably wouldn't happen until He** froze over, but remember the tale of Floquil and Model Railroader Magazine in the 1950's???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

For those of yall not aware:rolleyes:,

Seems the CEO/Pres of Floquil, got mad at then editor John Page of MR for running an article on "painting" a locomotive with "stove polish", an item that in this day and age, I think is no longer available. I believe the polish was actually a chemical blackener, as Page was impressed with its ability to turn any metal almost completely black and wouldn't wear, chip or rub off. Plus its ablilty to cover without streaks, (it was applied with a brush) making the finish appear to have been sprayed on. Anyway Floquil demanded that MR cancel its account, and Floquil stated that it would not advertize in MR again unless he** froze over.:mad::mad:

Now this was a major blow to MR's budget, as Floquil at the time was one of the larger advertizing accounts. :eek: MR actually got in some fiscal difficulty, but they wouldn't back down either.:(

At the end of several months a letter arrived at MR and inside was a check, and a letter asking MR for ads for Floquil for the next year, also inside was a small newspaper clipping. :confused:

Seems the small town of HELL, NORWAY had been hit with a freak late season ice storm and was buried under 24" of ice. Well waddaya know, HELL froze over.;);) MR got back the ads and Floquil has been in MR ever since!!!:D:D:D

So, unless something really big happens, at the ARG meet in May, bring your workclothes, your tools and a camera. Oh, yeah;) a jacket as well cuz ya might get a little cold.:rolleyes::D:p

Hello everyone, thank's for the kind words folk's, i have been taking my stress out on some 4"x2"'s in the house extension, it works for me.
Some Skyping is in order this weekend i think gent's, i'll be around at 8 - 10 pm GMT.
Tommorow the boiler man's coming to rip it out and we are going to knock down the whole kitchen wall, the boilers smack bang in the middle at the moment then it's a week without a boiler,,,nice, lucky for us we have an electric imersion heater in the tank as a back up.

Today i had the Fire service training instructer at work helping me set up the rapid reaction team to deal with flood's, it's amazing what happens to women when you mention "Fire Fighter", the receptonist "Gorgeous blonde leggy" you get the picture, undid a button up top:eek: , if you know what i mean, when i told her who was visiting, very strange.

Where, Oh where?

Yeah, its easy to rag me about my "no layout" status and how it probably wouldn't happen until He** froze over, but remember the tale of Floquil and Model Railroader Magazine in the 1950's???
CJ- Great story! I feel properly admonished.
I will dig out my long johns and Cleveland, Ohio winter coat.
If Saluda won't cooperate, we will just have to find another place to invade.

:confused: Anyone have a great train watching spot within about 250 miles of Birmingham, Alabama?

Hello gang! Glad to see a lot of activity going on with the forum. Don't believe I care for anything, Flo. Well, maybe a good cup of coffee...straight up. I had to take the wife to a dental surgeon today to get a couple of teeth cut out. Would you believe $600.00 for two lousy teeth and natch...no dental insurance. O-o-o-ouch! Back to eating beans for awhile:( .

PNKFLOYD: I don't know for sure what CJ has in mind for his scenery grass on the layout this time, but I know that he spray paints his yard each year.:D :D

Fergie: Do you have Internet access while out to sea? Satellite link or something they let you use? I believe that is big with some of the U.S. Navy ships now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decisions, decisions...

Cjcrescent said:
How about the platforms at Irondale???

You are going to make it really hard...deciding to eat fried green tomatoes and Coconut cream pie :D at the Irondale Cafe or BBQ at the Golden Rule. Guess we will have to go a couple of times so we can try them both.
We may have to extend an invitation the whole forum for this experience!

:eek: Oops! When I said I was going to be in the next week I meant "Off Cycle"! I won't be traversing the Arctic until August. Next month I'm back and it will be refit.

As for the Skyping that will be hit and miss for me right now until I'm off. I also need to get a new head set as the mic is dieing in the present one.

Rex: As Ken will attest When I'm in the Arctic and not in Iqaluit all I have is basic e-mail and no internet. This is due in part we pay anywhere between $9 and $14 a minute for satelite comms. But we do have Satelite TV!

Anyway Time for lunch

Later All

Fergie

PNKFLOYD said:
You are going to make it really hard...deciding to eat fried green tomatoes and Coconut cream pie :D at the Irondale Cafe or BBQ at the Golden Rule. Guess we will have to go a couple of times so we can try them both.
We may have to extend an invitation the whole forum for this experience!

I don't know which TRAINS mag it's in, this month's or last, but there is an article about the Irondale Cafe and the platforms.:D The food is OUTSTANDING! If you sit in one of the front rooms, you can also watch the trains go by as well.:D The BBQ place is good as well, but ya can't beat the old fashioned Southern cooking at the Irondale Cafe!

As for other railfanning "trips". We can also take a Sat or Sun and run down to my hometown of Selma, where the largest yard on the NS between Birmingham and Mobile is located. A public road runs almost 3/4 the yard lenght, so we can see all of the yard from public property. When I was a kid there I used to ride my bike to there from my house and I could even ride it into the yards, car shop, fuel facility, just about everywhere! Course that won't happen again.:(
There used to be a small Georigia/W of A yard there, (now CSX) as well as a very nice old L&N depot thats a community museum.
Also between B'ham and Selma there are several small towns that are good to railfan as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm envious of you 'Bama guys! I'll have to plan on taking a 4-day weekend to drive down there [sleep in my sis-in-law's basement] and "crash" one of your ARG parties:D

Fergie - I see you tried to skype me a few times, sorry I missed you. I was going to try calling you last nite but your status flag said "Do Not Disturb" so obviously, I didn't!

I'll talk at you all later...

KenL, if you do make it down here:
Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's"
is plural possessive.
:D :D

CSX_road_slug said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm envious of you 'Bama guys! I'll have to plan on taking a 4-day weekend to drive down there [sleep in my sis-in-law's basement] and "crash" one of your ARG parties:D

Ken- You know that you'd be more than welcome. Why don't ya make it a 5 dayer and go by Spencer, NC and stop at the NCTM. Its exactly halfway between DC and Atlanta on I-85. Well worth the stop. Plus I'm sure that iffin' your sis-in-law won't have ye, I think one of the ARG would be willing ta put ya up. I'm even sure Rex wouldn't mine you sleeping under the layout;):p:D!

Morning fellas, i was up in time to catch the postie this morning, he left me a nice wee parcel, my first, of many I hope, BLI C30-7 N&W 8010 in Tuscan colours.

I unpacked it and was out to the garage like a shot ( in my pyjamas) Oh man what a nice model The horn is just fantastic nice reverb!! and she ran really smooth.

Well time now for some toast and coffee.

Ken.

Ken MI want one i want one, the C30-7 is on my wish list

just started to take down the wall between the new and old part of the house, what a dusty job, time for a stiff drink i recon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back