Stuff I've been working on & bought.

Went to Home Depot yesterday & bought 2 bags of Pine bark Nuggets @$2.77 a bag. Dumped them out on my porch floor last nite to dry a little. This morning I seperated the good stuff from the bad. Took about an hour, Stripped the unwanted stuff off the back of some of the bark. Put that good stuff in a bucket(ended up w/a 5gal. bucket & a half) & the bad stuff in my flower beds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then spent about 2 hrs. cutting those good pieces up in to strips.
2 weeks ago I happened to be at Dollar Tree getting some picture frames & saw these Floral acc.'s hanging up near by. Wa-LA, tree's for this project w/the bark. Saw these at JoAnn's fabric & Micheals the week before for $9.95 a bag for 7. Got 5 in a bag for a buck. Bought everything they had(13 bags).
The one next to the engine gives an idea of the scale. Thre's 5 diff. sizes in each bag.:D

Just got a new SD-40 from a forum member yesterday that I bought.:D

Started working on the workshop. Added some more shelving, storage bins, paint racks & marked containers. Lot easier to find things now.:)

Then spent about 2 hrs. cutting those good pieces up in to strips.
2 weeks ago I happened to be at Dollar Tree getting some picture frames & saw these Floral acc.'s hanging up near by. Wa-LA, tree's for this project w/the bark. Saw these at JoAnn's fabric & Micheals the week before for $9.95 a bag for 7. Got 5 in a bag for a buck. Bought everything they had(13 bags).
The one next to the engine gives an idea of the scale. Thre's 5 diff. sizes in each bag.:D

Hey Larry,

Nice score on the greenery! :)

Man, that stuff normally costs a bundle.

Greg

bark-Bark-bark

Started adding the Bark to the Valley. (woof-woof):D:D:D

New modeling idea! Besides looking like some nice cliffs, it looks like a big log jam as well!!
I like that observation car, what will the mind of larry produce next? :D

New modeling idea! Besides looking like some nice cliffs, it looks like a big log jam as well!!
I like that observation car, what will the mind of larry produce next? :D

I've got about 5 projects on the bench right now that's off the wall for trains.:D When I'm finished w/the log jam:) you won't be able to recognize it.
I still have to add more Bark before I start on the drybrush painting & then the heavy scenery material & then those Dollar Tree tree's, lots of rocks(from the NC gem mines), more tree's of sorts, waterfalls, lighting & more water.

Been working on this valley all day. Got up to 95* w/4 fans going in the trainroom. Didn't want to stop till I got it finished. here's the 1st 4 pictures.

Here's the last 4. I took about 29 pictures. Weeded out the one's I wanted to keep.:D

Last week I finally got 2 pkgs. of straight track for my Monorail. I guess that's my next big project. This track set is real wide for my layout, so, I have to try to shorten it somehow. That's why I was trying to find some "Z" scale track & I was going to make my own straights. Now, that I've got what I need from the distributor I'll start doing the modifications on my own, if that's possible. I noticed on EBay that the price has almost doubled & tripled on the ER models sets. I bought mine when the prices were real low & I was about the only bidder.

Oh, WOW! Fantastic! Looks so peaceful and serene, I want to drop a chair in the shadow of that bridge and just hang out.

Larry, that bark cliff came out way better than I thougt it would. The puffball trees look OK, but I think they would have been better with some appropriately painted wood skewers as trunks.

Larry - I've got moss growing in my garden on the north side of my house that looks just like your puff balls and the grown cover is similar bark. You're giving me ideas for my garden! Hmmm, a small water feature and a bridge... Oh oh!, here comes the wife, sssh!

Larry, that bark cliff came out way better than I thougt it would. The puffball trees look OK, but I think they would have been better with some appropriately painted wood skewers as trunks.

I tried the skewers & the tree part looked way out of scale. I'm going to change all of them over to regular tree's in the very near future. I've got enough stuff to make about 100 tree's, so, I'll use some of those.
This was one of my better projects. I'm never surprised w/Pine Bark nuggets.
I was wanting sheer cliffs from the bridge & it came out better than what I pictured it.
I used Pine Bark on one side of my 16ft. divider mountain 2 years ago. On the other side was the shale rock. Everyone really likes the Pine Bark divider mountain.:D
If you look on my Photobucket site there is 27 pictures of that scene. Diff. views & a lot of closeups. I tried a diff. way of making waterfalls this time.

Lake

Finished up the Lake & added a few tree's next to & behind a warehouse next to the lake.:D

Well Gang. Made the plunge & put up 2 Video's on YouTube this afternoon. Spent almost 4 hrs. taking & retaking video's w/my Kodak Digital camera.
It does a nice job, probably not as good as a regular Video camera, but good enough for me. Probably get a nice Vid camera from my wife for Christmas after she see's what I'm doing.:D
Until I figure out how to transfer the links to this forum I'm using; HOLarry2010 as my title.:)

Back