Stuff I've been working on & bought.

I started moving a lot of stuff to clean all of the layout. It's an all day job. half of the job is moving vehicles to 1 large area of the layout. When I did this I figured I would take pictures of all of my vehicles. After I thought I had everything in 1 area & took all of the pictures I found 15 more cars.:D
here's the 1st 4 pics. I tried to take the pics in sections as close as I could so the vehicles wouldn't over lap.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The next 2 are the rest of the cars. The last 2 are an overall shot both ways of them all.:)

Started filling up the lake wed. afternoon & adding color to the bank.

Larry, I see lots of Hot Wheels on that layout! Some older ones as well new ones. I like!

I'm always looking for Hotwheels, Matchbox & Johnny Lightning that is close to HO scale. Those red Coca Cola van trucks were Johnnie Lightning. I haven't seen any of their stuff till the other day in WM. No trucks though.
I really don't need anymore vehicles. I would like to have a Dragline for my rock quarry. Haven't found one in my price range(cheap) yet. I have used some of the old construction equipment that I use to buy at Big Lots.
Those giant EUclid dump trucks are HO & they came from Big Lots many years ago. I paid $2.00 a pc. for them.

Remember the inserts that looked like a carnival ride, well, here's what they look like now.:rolleyes:

have spent the whole weekend cleaning the layout. Then had to put all the vehicles back in place & I made a few changes as;
It's amazing what I find hidden away on the layout when I do a major rearranging & cleaning in tunnels, etc. I found about 20 more vehicles that had fallen down between a mountain & the edge of the table. I had a field mouse problem for awhile & they carried off vehicles & stuff & hid them under the train tables. You would think that squirrels would do this, but, Mice.
I had a medium sized building w/a large opening for trucks & found a large mud dobber nest in there. Now, it's taped up w/a pc. of black PVC tape.
I have to keep all the boxcar doors closed because lizards like to ride & when they decide to jump out while the train is running all the cars derail. Ain't life on the RR, grand.

Hi Everyone,
If anyone has sent me a PM in the last 2 weeks, Please resend. I've been on vacation in NC for 2 weeks & just got back today. It was 95* here in Arcadia at 5:30pm & 55* in Franklin, NC when I left this morning at 4am.

This is a little different or a little Extreme.:D

Larry, I've got a few lizards in the basement too, although none of them has taken to riding the trains yet. I do have one that likes to sleep in my cotton field though. :) I still think that paper clip roadside barrier is a hoot. :D

2 new towers. 1 for water & 1 for Observing.

When I make stuff from scratch for my layout I use a lot of the pictures off of "RailPictures.net". I also download about 50 pictures everyday onto a CD to watch on my computer in my train workshop. I've copied about 5 of my buildings from there. I have about 15 CD's filled up w/photo's that I look at all the time. When friends come over they always want to watch trains.
Where do all of you get your inspirations for your projects? From web sites or real life?

Larry, very nice new towers you've built. Give us the lowdown on how you did them.

I think I get most of my inspiration from real life, but mostly from my memories of real life. I have no interest in building a strip mall. :)

When I make stuff from scratch for my layout I use a lot of the pictures off of "RailPictures.net". I also download about 50 pictures everyday onto a CD to watch on my computer in my train workshop. I've copied about 5 of my buildings from there. I have about 15 CD's filled up w/photo's that I look at all the time. When friends come over they always want to watch trains.
Where do all of you get your inspirations for your projects? From web sites or real life?

Have you ever considered using a USB drive to store the pictures? You can get them to 32Gig, a heck of a lot more than a cd can do, even the 8 gig drives at walmart ($15) run cheaper than buying a pack of discs

Larry, very nice new towers you've built. Give us the lowdown on how you did them.

I think I get most of my inspiration from real life, but mostly from my memories of real life. I have no interest in building a strip mall. :)

Jim, The water tower is made out of a pc. of 1" PVC pipe & a round plastic Coca-Cola bottle. The Observation tower is made out of a pc. of PVC pipe & the top off of the aviation building.:)

Have you ever considered using a USB drive to store the pictures? You can get them to 32Gig, a heck of a lot more than a cd can do, even the 8 gig drives at walmart ($15) run cheaper than buying a pack of discs

Yes I have, but, I couldn't move that from 1 computer to the other to easy & people borrow my CD's all the time.

I've been working on a giant structure for the layout for the past 3 days.
I'll have pictures tomorrow. It's 51" long, 25" deep & 6" High. Takes up a large piece of ground that I cleared last week.:D

Here's some pictures of the 50/50 (scratchbuilt/used old bldg. parts)Walmart Distribution Center. Still need to add some trim around the front top of the building. The Skylites actually work. There's an opening in the roof for lights to be visible from inside. I added some xtra truck doors to this structure.
It's mostly made out of 1/4in. clear plexiglass that I painted w/rattle cans.
2 panels of the large roof lifts out in case I lose a few large boxcars inside.
Next will be another large warehouse across from this one that will be a cold storage warehouse. I still have to add an elevated road running from the parking lot up to the overpass just to the left of the building. The lake at the left front of the building will be finished for employee recreation.
This whole building & the structures that will be added is where the rock quarry use to be.

Larry - How about putting that monster over the quarry, putting a cooler inside then you can keep drinks on ice or everyone?:D

Here's what it will look like w/all the Walmart trucks blocking doors.:D

Back