Speed tables

ICG/SOU

HO & O (3-rail) trainman
I've been playing around with my speed (Vstart, Vmid, Vmax as well as acceleration and deceleration), and wondered what many folks use.

I only have one switcher, an MP15, and haven't changed it from its factory setting (Atlas MP15DC with sound).

For GPs, CV2=x02, CV3=x03, CV4=x04, CV5=x72, CV6=x30
For SDs (SD40, 45, 60), CV2=x02, CV3=x03, CV4=x05, CV5=x9A, CV6=x80
For AC4400s, Dash 9s, etc, same as with the SDs.

One thing I like is that the locos have a slower top speed which looks more real to me. For the start voltage, my Atlas Trainman GP38s absolutely crawl. And deceleration is neat, especially on the larger locomotives, like my P2K SD60.

What does everyone else use?

Trey as you can see by the number of comments you received that 95% or more of the forum members do not use speed tables. Most default speed tables really don’t have to be changed but some engines run so bad that you have no other choice but to change them. I bought an Athearn F-7 with sound when they first came out. I had plans on running it in a consist with my three Intermountain F-7’s. The engine default speed table was set for a quick getaway. I needed to set it like my Intermountain’s I used for coal drags. After reading the manual I found out there was no speed table option. It’s now in passenger service just too quick for freight. Lenz decoders seem to be set perfect for freight no changing nothing; not even the Back EMF, it’s perfect. On the other hand I had to change the values of 3 Digitrax decoders I bought because there’s no Back EMF unless enter a value to a couple CV’s . Even after that I didn’t know if they where properly set until I ran a few trains with 30 cars or more down the helix to see how the engines performed. The problem with speed tables is getting everything synchronized and this some times can be very time consuming. I think like about 5% percent of the forum has the patience.

NYC_George

It usually not the decoder, but the motor itself. The decoder can help you compensate for the motor's weird speeds.

one thing I did early was to program all my locos to run with each other. i only pull freight so its slow and steady. they way I do it is to first set the V start so that the first notch on the controler lets the loco crawl.. then I set the loco to a scale max speed of 70MPH. this is without any cars in tow. 70MPH is a little fast but once it has 30 cars behind it the scale max speed drops about 5 MPH. I check this on the club layout with a scale speedometer. then I adjust the mid range, accel and decel to match my other locos. tipicaly I set a very slow accel but the decel is somewhat quick. my reason for this is that if there is a derail on the club layout I dont want to tear up another club members train with a prototipical train wreck. with all the settings programed I can now consist any of my diesels with another diesel or steam with steam.

Trent

I really can't answer you that easily. All locos have their own little inherent quirks and have to be delt with individually. However, I will agree with George that speed tables aren't used that much unless trying to fine tune locos for mu'ing. I had to do this with an FA and B unit pair, but later realized my problem was a cracked gear. Once that was repaired I didn't need the speed table.

I do like to use acceleration and deceleration, but again, all the locos are different. Also, I like my switchers to be more responsive to the throttle than other types; Heavy freights to be slower on take off and longer for stopping; passenger quicker on both ends. None of my locos just suddenly stop...I hate that.;)

Many of the high-end decoders have even more CV adjustments for getting it just like you want. Tsunami was the first to come out with these advanced settings and now QSI upgrades have several also.:)

I rarely fool with speed tables unless I'm running a consist with one engine that has way different motor speeds than the other. I have a P2K GP-7 that runs fine with no adjustment with an Atlas GP-35 but running with an Atlas SDP-35 required speed table adjustments since the SDP-35 was always pushing or pulling the GP-7. Other than that, I occasionally make an adjustment if a locomotive has too high a starting speed but I find most of my locomotives run just fine with the default speed tables.

Thanks all.

The majority of my locos are Athearns, with a couple Atlas Trainmans, and P2Ks. The Atlas and P2Ks all run fairly consistently, but the Athearns can vary greatly from loco to loco.

Most of my consists will be and are 2 similar locos (model type, manufacturer, and decoder) and occasionally I need to adjust the speeds. If I buy two of a series (say two GM&O SD40s, the second loco purchased always works out to be the faster of the two). But compared to the Atlas and P2K, the Athearns need some adjustment in start up speed, because many times they start up too quickly.

I find the features of deceleration and acceleration to be totally neat. I like that a loco will glide to a stop instead of looking like it hit an invisible barrier.

For me, getting DCC was initially all about running a consist, or running more than one loco at a time. Now, discovering all the neat features of DCC to enhance running characteristics of the locos really makes running DCC cool. I think that this is a great time to have come back into the hobby.

Back