Sound decoder %

macjet

For those of you running DCC, what percentage of your locomotives are sound decoder equipped?

If not 100%, will it ever be? How do you pair up your sound vs. non-sound?

I have exactly one that's sound equipped so my percentage is abut 5%. :) I expect I'll probably get the rest of the fleet converted to DCC and about 25% will have sound. For example, I have two NKP GP-9's and and SD-7. One has DCC. I'll pick up a DCC card for one of the engines and a DCC/Sound card for the other. As long as I consist the Geeps or a Geep and SD-7, only one really needs a sound card since they are the same engine and have same horns and bells. I suspect that having two or three consisted engines all with sound cards would require you to lower the volume on all of them or you wouldn't be able to stand it. My UP GP-7 with a QSI sound card is so loud on max volume that I can clearly hear it idling on the other end of my 60 foot basement. :)

Good info. The short of is that I'm trying to figure out how many sound cards I need. I plan on running my three SD60's in a consist at the club. I usually pair up two SF GP38-2's, pair up two RI 38-2's, and run a SF GP60 on it's own. I can see the logic in having too many cards making too much noise in the same consist.

So, running pairs or triples would give an average of 33-50% of locomotives equipped with sound cards. Does that sound right or is that still too high?

Macjet I think you are on to something here. I like the theory of 2 unit consist both having sound but a 3 unit would not need all 3 with sound maybe the lead unit and trailing unit having sound. So using these thoughts if you have a 5 unit consist one on the point middle and end would be sound. Almost a every other in pattern? hmmm....something to think about. Then you have helpers units that should follow that pattern. Wow. I know that I will not have all my units powered but like UP2CSX said if you have "like" locos (example SD7s EMD or S-1 Alcos) having one or 2 will suffice but if you have all manufacturers of locos like I do. Such as Alcos, GE, EMD, Baldwin, Morse, Lima,etc steam or diesel you will want one of each for its own unit classification for that distinct sound each one makes. Thats me thinking out loud. Boy I cant imagine have even 25% of my fleet sound equiped. I have 69 diesels and 6 steam locos and a doodlebug (motor car) in my stables. I can see 10% for now. That in itself is alot for me to vision since I got my first sound unit last week! So really I have only one sound unit and....I love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
With this three unit SD60 I'm considering "sounding" the lead (or perhaps the middle?)SD60M with a Soundtraxx sound/DCC decoder. My LHS has one for $65 plus speaker. I can't justify nor afford to sound every loco. I'm really leaning towards sounding only one of the most common pairs or trip's. Even at $25 each for a DH165LO it's going to get pretty expensive to DCC my locos. I've already got 11 locos with five more planned.:eek:

I won't have a locomotive without sound, and none of them are set for master volume higher than about 50%, depending on the individual decoder/speaker/enclosure match. Waaaaaaaay too much tinny noise if you have 5-10 engines within 15' at any volume what-so-ever IMO. In fact, I mute all but two or three when I operate. Otherwise, it's just noise. An advantage to doing that is that it frees amperage for actual work if the engine(s) is/are hauling large loads.

It is all illusory, let's face it, but in-your-face sound akin to being surrounded by 10 steamers, all within 30 meters, is going to be a bit much after a few minutes. It's the same on a layout...unless it is a long run through a huge room.

My opinion.

I've been told not to use sound & non sound togeather.

If we later see that its safe, I'm thinking 20%, but I', willing to go 100% with a number of loksound smaller ones in older units.

I've been told not to use sound & non sound togeather.

If we later see that its safe, I'm thinking 20%, but I', willing to go 100% with a number of loksound smaller ones in older units.

I've never heard that Josh. People at my club do it all the time with no problems. You usually have to adjust speed curves to get sound and none sound to run well together, but no other problems.

I find most people with sound have it too loud. I hate having to scream over top of engines that are on the opposite side of the room! I have one sound unit installed right now, and two waiting to go into something. I find one engine per train with sound is more than enough. The only time multiple engines with sound is cool is for railfan style videos one the layout, that sounds cool.

Another thing to keep in mind, just because you see three or four or more engines on a train, doesn't mean they are all running. Trains run through here with three or four engines, but only one or two are powered up. So not having sound in all engines can sound prototypical.

To all model railroaders out there with sound equipt engines, do your fellow modelers a favour, and turn the sound down to a dull roar. Our ears thank you! -- This has been a public service announcement from Fred. Thanks for listening. :D

The only issue with sound equipped units is that they have a higher starting voltage so it's usually near impossible to have a sound unit and DC only unit consist. As Fred wrote, as long as both units have DCC, it's a matter of adjusting the speed curve on the non-sound unit to get them to run well in a consist. I also agree about most modelers having the sound way too loud. I was at a club display several months ago and there were two trains running. One was a four unit NS coal train and the other was a 2-10-0 passenger train. All had sound and this room had low ceilings. The noise was not only deafening, it wasn't even prototypical. You hear loud engines when they are in front of you, not two scales miles away. The combination of diesel and steam sound was really bad.

Every sound manufacturer says that it is not recommended to use sound & non sound together. Heck its right at the beginning of the BLI instructions. I'll have to ask around and see what people say.

I'd assume it has to do with what Jim says, the higher starting voltage.

As for loudness, I hear differing reports there. Some people say louder is better, to create that deafening sound of the engine. I myself, cannot figure where in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks they ever heard a deafening unit, I'd think to get it THAT loud you'd have to be standing on a Big Boy on Sherman Hill!

I think that BLI's starting volume might be just right, maybe a tad loud for my taste.

Wow. That changes my entire plan. I had planned on mixing sound/non-sound to cut down on cost. If they won't work together then I guess I'll have to go one way or another. I can't see paying close to $1000 to sound a dozen units. I guess I'll just order Digitraxx in bulk.:confused:

Mac,
As long as the non-sound unit has a DCC card, it will run fine with a sound unit. It's only the non-DCC equiped straight DC engines that have a problem.

Jim is right, There's absolutely no problem running a DCC sound unit in a consist with other DCC non sound units. None at all. :)

BTW, we've only got 5 or 6 sound units out of the 22 locomotives on the layout. I'd like to get that to a 50/50 ratio so each train would have sound.

As for volume, my personal preference is it to be kept fairly low. On a small layout like ours, a loud unit is overpowering and really gets on the nerves. When the volume is reduced, sound adds MUCH to the fun of running trains.

Mac,
As long as the non-sound unit has a DCC card, it will run fine with a sound unit. It's only the non-DCC equiped straight DC engines that have a problem.

Ahhhhh. Can you tell I don't know much about DCC yet? Great news though! My plans are back on track.

For those of you running DCC, what percentage of your locomotives are sound decoder equipped?

If not 100%, will it ever be?
I would guess of my DCC equipped fleet about 60% are sound. And well if you mean DCC sound only, since I've been into sound since 1982 of my entire fleet it would be closer to 5%. As for converting the answer is never. I have many PFM sound and other Command Control Sound equipped locomotives, that will never be converted to DCC. Well I say never, if DCC sound improves greatly then maybe the PFM ones might get a make over, but I doubt it. And then there is just the issue of quantity vs. price of converting.

How do you pair up your sound vs. non-sound?
Couple them together at the front of the train and go.

I set locomotives with QSI sound (Proto, BLI, Atlas) to a master volume level of 51%. I usually turn the bell sound down even further. Any louder and it just becomes noise.

So, my question if the consensus is that they will work togeather, then why do manufacturers say not to? What do they know that we don't?

I just asked on the BLI forum, see what the BLI guy says.

Of my 20 locos all are sound except two switchers. They are equipped with QSI, Tsunami, and Loksound. I try to keep the volume around 50-60%, but sometimes its just plain ole fun to hear one wide open and the "Sound of Power" kick in when under load.;)

I agree that there shouldn't be any problems with a mix of sound/no sound with a DCC system. Only "extra" power needed for the sound unit is at startup and it would be getting that anyway, regardless of if they are consisted or just sitting on the track running as separates. How much they need to operate has no effect on the other.

Remember, that the only common ground two units have in a consist is the consist address and the single control. The actual needed power to do the work is independant of the other. One may require 0.5amps and the other 0.75 amps to do the same work, but that is where you have to balance out the motor control through CV adjustments to respond the same at the same throttle setting. DecoderPro has a neat setup for making it easy to adjusting CV to match the units for the time they are used in a consist. When you connect them up, just call in that saved consist address and everything is set and ready for smooth operation.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have a P2K FA/B units consisted with a NCE decoder in the A and a Soundtdraxx DSD150 in the B unit. They have been running for 4 years now without a hitch. ;)

Of my nine DCC engines, only two of my engines (steam) have sound and I run them with my non-sound diesel engines all the time.

My layout is small (6.5 x 8) so I reduce the volume by approximately 40% although, my son loves to crank them up when he runs them.

Thanks guys, I guess they just need to put in the warning, that it applied more to DC then DCC.

With that in mind, I'm thinking somewhere around 50%, but running 3 unit consists I'd only "need" about 33%.

Back