Sound decoder %

Yep Josh I just bought my first Blue Line BLI SD7 UP#776 last week and that is what I understood that you do not want to run DC and have multiple units. DCC is not a problem at all. Tonight I am going to the club layout to do some running on that spanking new SD7 of mine! I will take pics and post later! CYA!

Maybe 20%. But, when you consider I have close to 300 locos, that's a fair amount. My real issue is all of the locos that don't have decoders; I have a pile of decoders squirrelled away, and now the decision is whether to install sound decoders or stick with what I already have.

Kennedy

300!?! The first step is admission. The next is to get help!:D

Do you have any pics? I'd love to gaze over a football field worth of locos.

I know some guys that have more locos and rolling than any LHS...many of us probrably have. hmm...300 + locos wow I thought 69 diesels were a lot...

According to the spreadsheet I have in my PDA, I have 159 unassembled locos. This means I've bought them, but they're still in the box. They may just need couplers, or other details glued on, or they may need decoders, or more (like the Undecs that need painting, etc.).

This list dates back to probably a year ago, when I got back from a local train show. This doesn't include the 30+ locos I've bought since then, like from eBay, or brass stuff (never input).

I also show 60+ locos in the 'completed' category. These are the ones that are on the actual running roster. And this list isn't complete, because I don't see the Lionel Turbine that's sitting off to one side on the layout.... But then again, it might still need a coupler.

Storage. Obviously, the ones that are in the Unassembled category are sitting in their original boxes, which are also stored in cardboard boxes to save space. Or, piled up somewhere in a tall stack.

The ones that are complete are either sitting on the layout, or in those rolling storage carts like this:

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=551048&Nr=200000&N=201569&An=browse

I use these to store everything. I have a thin layer (1/8" close-cell) foam on the bottom of the drawer, and put my stuff in there. The locos stand upright, those that hold freight cars, they're on their sides. I check regularly to make sure the foam doesn't degrade onto the cars.

They are modular, and have casters. One of the storage carts is 13 drawers tall. It holds almost all of my transition-era freight cars. My locomotive cart is probably 8 drawers high (each drawer holds about 6 locos); this one's not full. The modern stuff has it's own cart.

:D

Kennedy

That is impressive. Let me pluck your brain if I may. Along the same lines of storage, what is a good way to transport locomotives and cars from the house to the club? I'd hate to have my hard work destroyed on the way to or fro.

One of my friends uses the same storage carts I do, but puts dividers in the drawers to keep the contents from moving around too much. He does this when going to the shows where his club sets up their layouts.

SOme folks use totes and such, and do the foam thing to keep stuff from moving about. Or, a big tool box with a handle. Layer the layers with eggcrate foam

Or, keep a few of the original boxes available for transport. Most of us throw them away, but hanging on to a few is helpful.

Kennedy

Yeah, the passenger cars are bad. I'm going to have problems with my Superliners and the Empire Builder set I bought; all 17cars worth....

Kennedy

Out of my 30 some locos I have five with sound, but
I cheat! I have a sixth unit, a dummy with a sound only decoder that I MU to any other engine I want. I used to have the sound turned up, but I find that a lower sound suits the "distance" you look at the trains from, ie: five feet away from a train would be about 1/4 mile in 1:1.
Yes at the club we have that problem of too much noise, especialy from the 0 scalers right beside us.

Don't sweat it, many of us cheat as well. In the older days, dummy locos were the thing to put sound in. We didn't have as many speaker choices we have now, and they had plenty of room to cram speakers in them.

I have a lot of Athearn Blue Box dummy locos which will become what I call 'sound mules'. My goal is to cram as many speakers inside the shell as I can possibly fit in there. My first project was a blue box tunnel motor; I was trying to get 4 oval speakers inside, but ended up with three. My philosophy, like most audiophiles, is 'there's no substitute for cone area'. It sounded OK, but I figured I could do better.

I figure I can get 4 inside a Dash-9 shell. The two main stumbling blocks are 1) getting power trucks from Athearn, and b) still waiting for the Diesel Tsunami......

Kennedy

Back