Running Bear's September 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a couple of recent run-ins on social media, especially Fecesbook, I'm taking a vacation until after the election is over. Yes, Fecesbook shoved crap into my feed, telling me who to vote for... "Official post from Meta".
Behave.
My feed this morning,
  • Asked me if I was registered to vote.
  • offered me a link to NJ Voter Registration if I wasn't registered.
  • Wouldn't permit me to block or hide the post, and would not allow me to turn off notification.
For what it's worth. I would love to de-platform Meta and Mark Zuckerberg. Sorry I ever joined.

Ahhhh, finally finished the last touch pad conversion back to push button in section 1.
Just 8 more to do in section 3.
The signals work correctly now when the turnouts are thrown.
Time to just watch some TV and eat junk food.
UnStoppable is coming on. Yeah, I've seen it 20 times or so, but still enjoy it.

FYI we love out Tesla 3 so much with the order for the cybertruck still in Layla land we have orderEd a y, we keep the 3 but when the cybertruck arrives one of them will be traded…..I want a 13 am plug for the power tools, when the cybertruck comes out I want the drive on electric go cart or else I will sulk and sulk…….
I like to watch other news besides the US news that only tells part of the story or not at all. Here's an example and why I don't think EV can meet the demand or stand the test of time. The technology just isn't there yet.

Willie: Enjoy your Gulf Shores vacation. Doesn't look like any storms will ruin it this season.
Did you reverse the city hall building, or is that a different photo angle? Looks better in that photo.
Have a sage trip and a great time.
Thanks for the safe wishes. It does appear that we will avoid any tropical depressions or hurricanes this year. We have experienced a few in the past years, although all were minor compared to a typical Texas spring storm. Yes I did turn City Hall, I have to look at it for a few days to see if I like it. It does not fit on that other corner. In some pictures you can see the corner of Middlesex Mfg (Helm Tobacco) peeking out around that corner of the backdrop.

I like to watch other news besides the US news that only tells part of the story or not at all. Here's an example and why I don't think EV can meet the demand or stand the test of time. The technology just isn't there yet.
and if they were all forced to stop mining the Cobalt, we would have to pay for their upkeep, medical, housing, etc.
That's how it usually works out.

Good Morning All. Clear and 74° headed back up to 97° again today and every day until Sunday. On Monday, a cool front arrives and the highs will be in the upper 80's for a while.

I actually had to add water to the pool yesterday so we could use it for three more days before shutting it down before leaving for vacation Saturday. It's still maintaining a great 84° temperature quite late this season, despite the decrease in sunlight needed to heat it up.

Thanks as always for the likes and comments regarding my slow project progress; Chad, Guy, Dave B, James, Hughie, Louis, Curt, Patrick, Joe, Tom, George, Tom O, Smudge.

I mostly ran trains out in the train shed yesterday, since I will miss more than a week coming up. I wasn't intending to start any projects, but this small one jumped out at me. If you remember, back in 2020, I laid out a transload terminal.
IMG_1753.JPG

I never completed the exterior fence because I ran out of Walther's fence that I was using. I installed all of it along the main line ROW, but didn't finish it up near the fascia.
IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

While rummaging around for something else that I never found, I came across the fencing that I bought last year and had forgotten about.
IMG_1756.JPG

I figured why not? I can get this done in short order, although it would take me parts of two days to complete. I got the following accomplished yesterday.
IMG_1757.JPG

A few more posts need to be attached and holes made and it will be done. Since I didn't paint the other sections, that makes it much more simple. And it will make the transload yard much more secure!

Joe - What you describe of life in Jersey is pretty much what my son in law's parents describe. They are in a suburb of Philadelphia. They would like to move, but they own a business in Cherry Hill and that holds them back. I have read posts of yours that indicate the MIL is your hold up. You mention not fitting in the deep South, but folks here are more tolerant of "foreigners" than you think. Of course if you came to Texas, we would make fun of your accent until it abated somewhat, but it would always be in jest. I looked up property taxes after you posted it, my gosh, New Jersey is ridiculous! Texas has high property taxes since we don't have an individual state income tax, but ours tops out at 1.8% compared with Jersey at nearly 2.5%. Next door in Louisiana it's 0.55%, but they have an income tax. Closer to me is Oklahoma at 0.90%, also with income tax. I wish you well with whatever decision that you have to make, it seems like a tough one.
Glad to read that the PT is going well so far.
Terry - Is your "vacation" from this forum as well, or just from FB??? We would miss you of course.
Dave B - Doctors and hospitals are 25+ miles away from here, but we're just 7 miles from IH35 so we're just a turn or two away from you! Well, plus 1000 miles or so!
Chad - I am intrigued with your heating system using geothermal.

Everyone have a great day.

Good morning,

Major migraine just occurred but I got everything ready to post so will power through, then take 10 minutes to decompress

Willie - I wondered if you lived near our freeway, that is too cool! Something about finding stuff (like the fence), I am constantly being reminded of my undone projects when I open up one of my forgotten boxes!!

It is 50° and we will have highs in the upper 50's now for the foreseeable future, really a change cause we were in the upper 70's lately.

Elec. Cars, batteries, etc: I think our government lacks any credible engineers, however we have a lot of futuristic thinkers that are very optimistic.

Imagine, for example, we have a pipeline (transmission line) to service 2% of vehicles with electric batteries. Now, we have say only 25% electric (car) batteries, which is way below what we are forcasting, how big does the pipeline need to be? That is an example of how much our grid will need to be increased to just get a fraction of the way to our goal.

I was working on the old varney Sunday night, decided to take it apart and do a super lube job, see if I could smooth it out a little as it is something like a real steam engine with some real chugging going on , also wonder if I could get better slow speeds. I don't think this machine has very many hours on it, judging by the wheels and motor,

IMG_2685.JPG

Played with trains a little, got this shot which shows my 2 30' flat car kits:

IMG_2687.JPG

back again later, Dave LASM

I've only been down south a few times. The farthest South I have been was Fort Jackson South Carolina for my daughter's graduation from boot camp.
From my limited experience the people down south are very polite and hospitable. They enjoyed my accent as much as I enjoyed theirs.

Regardless, I would never leave Baltimore. Maryland has been great for me!

Good Morning, everyone.

Frost outside again this morning. It's 32F out there right now.

Blair Line makes grade crossings in 30" radius.
Thanks, but I know that, Willie.
There is probably some company out there making every conceivable piece of landscaping item that is required for a layout. All one needs do, is put the kit together and paint it.
But, I'm interested mostly in the modelling. So, I thought I would try and make my own wood crossings over spending on some machine made kit.

Today, I'm going to find out if my crossings will work. Yesterday, I soaked, bent, and secured the wood. Now, after the overnight drying time, I'm going to find out if they fit.
Here's some photos of what I was doing:
Crossings_09-20-2022 (1).JPG

Crossings_09-20-2022 (2).JPG

I thought the Dynamo tape might help with preventing indentations in the wood while drying took place. I like Dynamo tape for lots of modelling purposes.
The 28" curve looks screwed up right out of the gate. I don't think it's a 28" curve. - I'll find out when I go downstairs.

And, applying knowledge offered by Joe, I painted the red on mainline track switches, diverging. Now, there is red, yellow, and green on the layout. Should help the G-kids a-lot.
SwitchesPainted_09-20-2022.JPG

Anyway, I'm not going to hang around in here, even as nice as the place is. There is too much to do.

Have a great day.

Oh Ya!
Did they ever get that rocket to the moon fired off? I took a daylight photo of the moon yesterday, and don't see anyone moving around up there:
Moon_09-20-2022.JPG

Chad - I am intrigued with your heating system using geothermal.

I'll keep you updated. We're actually using it for heating and cooling. The system will run cold water through the pipes in the summer which should suck heat into the water from the rooms and send it into the ground. We'll see how well it works.

The city inspector came and looked over the tubing and checked the pressure. It had held 100psi (varying only with temperature) since Monday night so we passed.

The basement slab pour was moved to Monday morning (6:30am!) from this Friday morning at the concrete people's request. Actually good for me as it gives me more time to finish all the stuff I need to do (wrap drain pipes, put the mesh everywhere and raise it on those little "rebar chairs", etc).

Geothermal kind of acts like a heat pump. The temperature underground is pretty much a constant at right around 55 degrees F. So in the Winter, your furnace only has to heat above 55 degrees (give or take), and in the summer, you can cool almost 100% with the 55-degree water coming in and flowing through the coils, with minimal boost from a refrigerant.

Geothermal kind of acts like a heat pump. The temperature underground is pretty much a constant at right around 55 degrees F. So in the Winter, your furnace only has to heat above 55 degrees (give or take), and in the summer, you can cool almost 100% with the 55-degree water coming in and flowing through the coils, with minimal boost from a refrigerant.

Well, you use a heat pump to extract or inject the heat out of the water.

Yes the 55-56F constant temperature is a giant heat exchanger in the ground. In the winter you take that 55F water and extract heat out of it with your heat pump in the basement, and make the water colder. The heat is concentrated and sent through the house to heat it. The now colder water is circulated back through the ground to warm back up to 55F to repeat the cycle.

In the summer it is the opposite -- you run the water through your pipes, absorbing heat from the hotter room. Now the water is hotter and is circulated back through ground to cool it down again. The heat pump in the basement helps transfer the heat from the circulating pipes in the floor into your geothermal pipes (two different sets with the heat pump in the middle).

One thing I should mention about geothermal heating (and cooling as I understand it) and the radiant systems. It is best at keeping a temperature. Raising room temperature takes a while. It could take all day if the house is cold to get it up to temperature -- but once there is can keep it there easily and economically. Especially in a well insulated house. So it has a disadvantage compared to forced hot air or boiler driven forced hot water system that can react and change temperatures over a larger scale more quickly. But cost a lot more to run.

I'm going to have to adjust a bit as we set the house colder in the winter and turn down the temperature at night. Now we'll just set it to the same temp year round (or close to the same temp) without the night time changes. I do that now as you sleep better in cooler air but more importantly, when people are sleeping bundled up, you can save the money of trying to heat the house with your normal furnace at night. So it is mostly economic for me. Without the economic needs I'll need to adjust the lifestyle a but.

The radiant is also supposedly more comfortable than forced air as the air temperature is more even throughout the room. With forced air, you get hotter and colder spots and the air currents associated with it (and I hate air blowing directly on me).

This is a great experiment. I have no fears of the heating part -- lots of people have been doing this for decades. I am more concerned about the cooling part. I am assured it works and am going on faith. Worst comes to worst we'll have to retrofit some mini-splits or something. Hopefully it won't come to that. I think the high insulation factor of the house plus the geothermal cooling should work...

Last edited:
Good Morning, everyone.

Frost outside again this morning. It's 32F out there right now.

Thanks, but I know that, Willie.
There is probably some company out there making every conceivable piece of landscaping item that is required for a layout. All one needs do, is put the kit together and paint it.
But, I'm interested mostly in the modelling. So, I thought I would try and make my own wood crossings over spending on some machine made kit.

Today, I'm going to find out if my crossings will work. Yesterday, I soaked, bent, and secured the wood. Now, after the overnight drying time, I'm going to find out if they fit.
Here's some photos of what I was doing:
View attachment 152070
View attachment 152071
I thought the Dynamo tape might help with preventing indentations in the wood while drying took place. I like Dynamo tape for lots of modelling purposes.
The 28" curve looks screwed up right out of the gate. I don't think it's a 28" curve. - I'll find out when I go downstairs.

And, applying knowledge offered by Joe, I painted the red on mainline track switches, diverging. Now, there is red, yellow, and green on the layout. Should help the G-kids a-lot.
View attachment 152072

Anyway, I'm not going to hang around in here, even as nice as the place is. There is too much to do.

Have a great day.

Oh Ya!
Did they ever get that rocket to the moon fired off? I took a daylight photo of the moon yesterday, and don't see anyone moving around up there:
View attachment 152073
I've never seen a curved wood crossing yet, but I like this idea of yours, I was wondering what I could put under the diorama I wasn't intending to build, I thought about a lake or something similar, but a road leading to the goods shed is definitely better, be very interested to see how this works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back