Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all,

The saga continues. Crew arrived yesterday to place the replacement dishwasher and fix the reefer doors. No joy. Guy looked at everything I had already looked at and merely pronounced, "Needs a new door." His partner says - wont do that, new refrigerator.

CEO spousal unit was torqued!! So, screw it, says I, if they're having to replace the door/unit, I might as well have a look. Take off the hinge cover - - - long story short, I sees a wire connected plastic thingy lying loose. "That doesn't look right," I says to myself. Look around a bit longer and I see a similar thingy on the other side (French door refrigerator). Look a bit longer and see that the left thingy is inserted into a a socket like thingy on the hinge cover. I wonder . . . so I puts the loose thingy into the the similar plastic receptacle thingy and put back in place. larm stops. Button all back up, and we have water to the door. The thingy I saw was some kind of sensor for the door - telling the brain that the door is closed.

Another crew coming Tuesday to look at the door problem - do I tell them?

We have got to get these appliance issues resolved - - - my liver can't take much more abuse. Two nights in a row wife wanted martinis and I had single-malts.

So between the new foster greyhound keeping us up all night - the daughter having a major fight with her BF - - and the appliance aggravation - - - did not get to the train room. I was going to but dropped off on the couch for a 1-1/2 hour nap.

Foster dog did much better last night. I got much more sleep, but far from perfect. He is a cutey - - - might def be a "foster fail." SHould hit the trainroom this afternoon, and only three evening meeting this week. Still ready to wire up the 16VDC and 12 VDC power supplies and wire the timers and the electromagnets. And still have to clean up the feeder solders and other track issues.

This hobby just never stops does it! - - - - - Steve J

The saga continues. Crew arrived yesterday to place the replacement dishwasher and fix the reefer doors. No joy. Guy looked at everything I had already looked at and merely pronounced, "Needs a new door." His partner says - wont do that, new refrigerator.
Steve- Try looking up your appliances on youtube. I have fixed many things by knowing what to look for. Some explain how to put the appliance in test mode to reset the computer and what the flashes of the code mean for a problem. Many name brand appliances have the same computer. Even though it might not be the one you have they'll say this is the same for Maytag, GE, and Frigidaire for example.

Good Morning Everyone. Partly cloudy and 64° in this neck of the woods. Should hit 91° again today and a few more days until possible rain Wednesday through Saturday. That would be welcome as our rainfall this month has been 0.00"; it last rained on 8-15.

Thanks as always for the comments and likes for the minimal progress on the liquor store build; Patrick, Karl, Joe, Steve J, Christian, Tom O, Garry, Hughie, Gary, Curt, Tom. James.

Hello Flo. It's National Pancake Day today, so I'll take a tall stack of blueberry pancakes and a big handful of bacon. The usual OJ on the side.

Progress was made on Cooter's Liquor yesterday out in the train shed. I started by cutting through the front door recess to allow light to shine if I add interior lighting.
IMG_7806.JPG

I then added some Testor's putty to the joint lines on the back. Here you can see that the one on the left has been done.
IMG_7818.JPG

Despite my best attempts at making a smoother joint, this occasionally happens on Hydrocal models. In the end, it actually isn't going to matter since I will be installing scuppers and downspouts on this hidden side anyway.
Now it's time to paint. I am going to use three colors from my Polly S stash on this, DRGW Freight Car Red, Aged Concrete and Concrete.
IMG_7820.JPG

I did the walls in the red, and the base with the concrete colors yesterday. The concrete is simply for the mortar lines, I'll be going back to paint the individual foundation stones next.
IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7822.JPG

IMG_7823.JPG

That's as far as I got. The Aged Concrete will be used for the wall caps, the remaining stucco on the walls and the lintel on the front wall. It is a rundown building.
Joe, Garry, Hughie - If you have a place for one, I highly recommend trying out a Hydrocal structure. Downtown Deco offers many smaller structures like this that are just right for beginners or advanced modelers.

Karl - Other than masks and the front door thing, the hospital seemed to be just business as usual.
Troy - I guess that's the closest to Florida that I will get this year.
Steve J - Sorry, but I have to laugh about the refrigerator. At least you don't have to wait indefinitely for the fix.
Jaz - Sorry to read that your other half has been laid up. Best wishes to him for his recovery.
Tom - Great sunset picture. I'd like to see someone paint that on a backdrop! Happy Anniversary and enjoy yourselves.
Garry - Horrible news regarding the Amtrak derailment in Montana.
Terry - Continued prayers for your whole family.

Today is also National Chimichanga Day. It's nothing but a burrito that is deep-fried and was probably discovered by accident when someone dropped one in the deep-fryer. But they taste good.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning fellow modelers. It is 57f degrees heading to 81 and it should be a great wonderful day.

Another trip this morning to the Art Festival around the Capital. It was fairly busy yesterday and Terry as usual made notes on what we (mostly her) would like to buy. That is what today’s visit is about, maybe buying. I did notice that many items similar to past years seem to have much higher prices. That will give Terry just a little bit more haggling room, this she enjoys and I detest haggling. I did find an outdoor sculpture that would look great in a space we have. It is twice the amount for my budget and Terry liked it to so that is were we will start today.

I may get a trip to a train show in today, 45 minutes drive south and ends at 4. Not sure because, I really don’t need anything, I am not sure what time we will finish at the Art Festival and I am very leary of large indoor crowds because of Covid. The Art Festival is outdoors and people yesterday seemed to be attempting to keep decent spacing and most were wearing masks.

I believe after dinner tonight I can get the second rail down, at least that’s the hope.

TomO

Morning from the far WEST! Supposed to be 82 for a high today under sunny skies. WOW, I was like 6 pages on catching up this morning. We actually had some falling water Friday afternoon! A great big thundercloud with lightening, thunder, and lots of wind came through - and for15 minutes it was heaven ... amounted to 15/ 100ths of an inch - think I got a little more with my bucket having close to 1/2 inch in it. Don't laugh folks- after all this is mostly desert country - all it needs to thrive is water.
Anyways that brings the total to .76 of an inch since July 1st and we are actually ahead of normal, so far!

TomO - enjoyed reading your "life" and the progress on the layout track laying. Thought about you when I came upon this:
rent.jpg

That didnt go as intended! I couldn't get the computer to add below the cartoon?
OK -- The milder temps around here the past few days have been a blessing. Just for the record - the high for this date was 110 degrees in the year 2010.

The Spousal Unit is in Roseville today for an anniversary party with her sister and a friend. The host insisted that she attend with the other two ladies .. so at least, she did take a nice dress with her. The three of them have been eating their way across the State and making me jealous as they go. One night in Manhattan Beach, Cambria, and two nights in Monterey.
This was the first night - my bride on the right!
1632670340078.png

This was the second!
1632670456972.png

Well - I had a third one - each with a cocktail in hand, but I missed downloading it -- here is a sub!
1632671192902.png

Good morning y'all. A sunny Sunday at the Jersey Shore. 68° going to around 77°.
Louis: Welcome back!
Willie: Not sure how it will fit, but I'm interested in trying hydrocal structures, once I get the basic layout finished. I'm sure I'll find space for something. Your photos really show how realistic the brick and masonry is with hydrocal castings.
Garry: Wrecks are never good news, especially ones involving Passenger Trains. East coast news feed has only sketchy details. As usual, I'm interested in the cause, and wait with trepidation for the NTSB Dog and Pony Show to begin...

Second half of the overhead bridge is nearing completion. Much easier than the first...I will need to cut and paste to get everything right. I also plan on assembling the four walls of the elevated passenger terminal today. Once all of this is done, I can set the height of the module to match the other modules.

PRR 9069 9-25-21 in service - Bobb Losse Photo.jpg

Bobb Losse photo dated 09-25-2021 on the SMS lines in South Jersey, of ex PRR Baldwin S-12 # 9069, which I think is the before 1966 road number. Still in use.
SB B&O Cincinnatian at Lima OH 1968, Best Boyd.jpg

B&O Southbound Cincinnatian working at Lima, OH, in 1968 - B Boyd photo

Good Sunday Gang!

Steve, What is that they say about who laughs first? I read your post this morning and got a good chuckle over the fridge debacle. Not to be outdone SWMBO informed me that she is having to run the drier 2 or 3 cycles to get the clothes dry. After checking the easy stuff like the vent (clear) I discovered playing with the knob that the regular cycle had no heat, but the 20 minute timed cycle did. OK, heaters are ok, must be the timer itself. On to eBay, since Lowes and HD dont carry timers. Found one in Lancaster PA, will be here Thursday for 63 bucks.

Louis, welcome back!

Willie,
1805139079-DeadpoolThumbs-Up-1.png

Boris, Glad to see a Baldwin survivor.

SWMBO wants to go shopping,, BBL

Good Morning Coffee Shop denizens. There have been some interesting developments in my life lately that are forcing less modeling time than I'd prefer, but I'm still getting some train time in. The below vid is of a short train I ran at the club to test the GP-38-2. I found it on e-Bay for cheap. It was a non sound model, so I added a Lok Sound 5 decoder and speaker. It sounds great if I do say so myself, though I find converting non sound Athearns to sound equipped models a bit of a PITA. On some of their non sound units you get a solid weight that has to be sacrificed. This one was one of those. I didn't notice a great difference in tractive effort. She pulls OK. I had to do a bit of work on the frame to get the speaker enclosure I chose to fit properly as well. I had recently done an SD-70 for my son, and all I had to do was install the decoder and speaker, easy peasy. You never know what you're going to get it seems. Anyway...enjoy:

JOE -- Great photo of the 9069! Hell - all your photos are great!
You are late to the party -- The dog and pony show already started ... a brilliant statement below!

"Allan Zarembski, director of the University of Delaware’s Railway Engineering and Safety Program, said he didn’t want to speculate but suspected the derailment stemmed from an issue with the train track or equipment, or a combination of both."

LOUIS - good to see you make an appearance again.

Willie - Really like the building and the color you started with.
On a personal note - I am going to TAPE a note to my computer; I must have had a lapse, they are coming more frequently.

TERRY - I have no words except to say I am so very sorry!

ALAN , Jerry, Dave ... great to see you all back too!

Finally!
I finished installing laminate flooring and trim in our 14' 6" x 16' 6" master bathroom at the lake. I managed to install the last of the trim, caulk around the toilet (without getting caulk on the toilet or the wall) and touch up the white painted trim where needed.
I got done in time to get home, clean up and go to a cousin's afternoon wedding.

Thursday afternoon, I worked on the On30 club layout. We are about done adding details on established structures and I thought I would share a few pictures.
This house was scratch built by one of the club members with opening doors, window screens and peeling paint. In the back, we have added igures, flowering bushes, trash cans and trash, and a flushless 1930's outhouse. In the front, a standing figure, reading material on the porch, a dog house, a birdhouse and a burn barrel.
Maybe, next year, we can add a dog and some yard fowl.
9.23.21 6.jpg

Attachments

• 9.23.21 5.jpg
    9.23.21 5.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 9.23.21 7.jpg
    9.23.21 7.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 81
Good morning all,

CEO spousal unit was torqued!! So, screw it, says I, if they're having to replace the door/unit, I might as well have a look. Take off the hinge cover - - - long story short, I sees a wire connected plastic thingy lying loose. "That doesn't look right," I says to myself. Look around a bit longer and I see a similar thingy on the other side (French door refrigerator). Look a bit longer and see that the left thingy is inserted into a a socket like thingy on the hinge cover. I wonder . . . so I puts the loose thingy into the the similar plastic receptacle thingy and put back in place. larm stops. Button all back up, and we have water to the door. The thingy I saw was some kind of sensor for the door - telling the brain that the door is closed.

Another crew coming Tuesday to look at the door problem - do I tell them?

We have got to get these appliance issues resolved - - - my liver can't take much more abuse. Two nights in a row wife wanted martinis and I had single-malts.

So between the new foster greyhound keeping us up all night - the daughter having a major fight with her BF - - and the appliance aggravation - - - did not get to the train room. I was going to but dropped off on the couch for a 1-1/2 hour nap.

Foster dog did much better last night. I got much more sleep, but far from perfect. He is a cutey - - - might def be a "foster fail." SHould hit the trainroom this afternoon, and only three evening meeting this week. Still ready to wire up the 16VDC and 12 VDC power supplies and wire the timers and the electromagnets. And still have to clean up the feeder solders and other track issues.

This hobby just never stops does it! - - - - - Steve J
Yes, according to MSU, “thingy” is proper UMW terminology.

Last edited:
I think that we are going to have to add another table in the diner!
Busy today.

CURT - I know that you will be happy to have things settle down a little. You have really had me thinking back to when my mom passed and dad coming to CA for 8-9 months to live with us. He wanted to go back to his home in Louisiana which really drained me with all the logistics of getting him settled with help and such and then four months later - he passed. It's good for you to talk it out as you have!

GARY - Not overlooking you ... nice looking work you have going. lots to do, but then that is the fun of it all?

HUGHIE -- Get your GEN up and working?
I finally had the solar people show up and re-connect my reporting system. The array was working -- The transponder had to be changed so I could monitor the output on my computer.

STEVEJ - You are on a roller coaster with your appliances - unbelievable that the people did not check everything out after delivery?

In Other News - I am wondering if I can live without a TV. Spectrum wants to up our monthly bill to 204 plus taxes -- that is a 33 % increase. Maybe need to switch back to DirectTV?
I need to see if part of that increase is the internet too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back