Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
God afternoon. It did finally warm up but the dogs will have to wait a day to explore because the NASCAR race is in. Supposed to be a bit warmer any way.

Many thanks for the comments on the photos.

KriegslokBR52 - with a bit of work, that could be a great locomotive. This little guy came out of a friends junk box and sat in my junk box for a few years before I got to work on it. There was no tender, pilot, headlight couplers and other details. Finally found a tender and had the rest of the parts in my parts drawers,

thumbnail_20190404_070501.jpg

Don't want to thing about taxes. Montana had a reappraisal and there are a lot of people complaining about that. I am supposed to get an 80% discount on the first $200,000 of the appraised value because I qualify as a senile citizen.

Still trying to figure out this little confuser. The keyboard can be difficult to type on as it is about half the size if a regular keyboard. Also trying to get used to the operating system.

BORIS - I have had a VPN for years. Like it a lot for getting information and videos from Europe and Asia. Do occasionally get ads from other parts of the world.

Going to post one of my favorite photos having been a cop. Fresh donuts at the cafe.

thumbnail_20190419_142934.jpg

LATER

Last edited:
I was surprised Turbo Tax did not calculate that for me. Now I have something else to worry about!

Did I mention I don't like paying taxes?
I think I will end up paying(for the first time in my life) next year. I was fortunate to have my student loan forgiven thru the ARA, but the state considers that amount to be income. If we’re lucky, the fed refund will balance what the state will take. We’re starting to put aside a lil bit each week to try & make it less of a hit to our bank accounts.

To continue, you'll need to confirm it's you by entering a verification code. We'll send a code to:
Your Email address
Microsoft 365 email won't do either anymore. You have to have their authenticator app as email and phones can be cloned. The app can't, so if you lose your phone you have to have your administrator reset your account so the new phone can install the app and give you the number.

After being hacked in January, I understand why, but hate it as well.

Well, at a stop point as I think I wore out my brad nailer.

Microsoft 365 email won't do either anymore. You have to have their authenticator app as email and phones can be cloned. The app can't, so if you lose your phone you have to have your administrator reset your account so the new phone can install the app and give you the number.

After being hacked in January, I understand why, but hate it as well.
While I understand about the security concerns, I feel like I'm in the middle of a perfect storm between my ISP randomising my location for my privacy, and the places I need to securely log in to needing to verify I'm not some random hacker from outer Botswana.

Been awhile since I did a house update.

The electricians "finished" several weeks ago. They just wanted us to cut the cable chases in the foam and the box cutouts etc. While they did a couple they didn't want to be cutting the foam. (They obviously did all the boxes and wiring and everything internally in the framed parts as well as everything penetrating to outside.

My son and I did that and we were mostly finished about two weeks ago except for some shallow cutouts for boxes inside the wooden frames of the large picture windows up high. My son spent a few days chiseling that out and cutting chases to the chiseled boxes etc. We were done last Tuesday and are just awaiting the electricians to come in 1/2 day and finish cuttig and stripping the wire in the boxes and stuff it in all in nice and neat for the finish work later. The plumbers claimed they were mostly done several weeks ago and just needed a day before the inspection and they said they will come in Tuesday to do that, finally. Very frustrating to try and get people to just finish stuff.

A couple weeks ago, the excavating and footing guy I've been trying to get for months to come in and do the back sunroom patio footings and foundation as well as the final grading around the house popped up with the home builder contractor who's been helping me with managing the bank, some subs, etc. We spent a couple hours walking around and talking about what needs to be done to get occupancy etc. We talked about the sun room patio and they also said that on the north side I'd need a retaining wall as there is not enough distance to have proper sloping done per code. To be fair the retaining wall is actually on the plans but I had not counted on it needing to be done for code and thought it was a more nice-to-have and could be done later. I did not have the budget set in my "get 'er done" budget to do it now but it needs to be done.

This past Thursday they came in the rain and poured the footings for the retaining wall and the patio sun room. Friday they took the forms down for the footing and delivered the forms for the walls. The pics below are the same day they poured them. I expect them to come tomorrow (Monday) and actually do the retaining wall and patio foundation wall. After that cures enough they'll be able to back fill it. The dirt piles you see will mostly be used for that. They also need to do the minimum grading to pass code and get the dirt at the proper grade level around the house.

The siding guy contact me tonight and wants to come in end of this coming week or beginning of next week. I told him I'd be glad to have him but the grading guys need to be done firsyt. Insulation guy (ceilings) also is ready to come in. Still need inspection, which last Tuesday I requested my home builder helpers arrange but not yet arranged so I hope we can get that done this week and the insulation guy can come in while the concrete walls are curing so that the excavation machines aren't in his way and vice versa.

Last weekend, a week ago, the geothermal and radiant engineer came in to plumb, as much as possible, the snow melt system in the garage (not the tubing in the driveway but the stuff on the wall). The boiler is not installed yet as we need the gas inspection but he got the stuff done you see. This is actually his photo as he was telling me where the 1" PEX-A for the garage unit heater are to hook in and where the 1 1/4" PEX-A that leads to the basement radiant controls hooks in so that the boiler can act as a backup for the heat pump -- if the heat pump is down the boiler can create the hot water necessary for the radiant heating and send it down to the system.

Last night my son and I cut the holes in the ceiling joists in the garage and got the 1 1/4" PEX installed out into the entrywah (part of its route down into the basement). We're not down into the basement yet but out of the garage. The guy who did the piping still needs to come back and actually hook the pieces of PEX together -- he has the expansion tools to work with 1 1/4" PEX so he'll install the 90 deg bends to hook up each bit. I screwed up when I laid out the path across the garage ceiling to get outside the garage (important as the insulation guy will spray an inch of foam to seal it and then blow in insulation) and so we have to have a small jog to miss some sort of wood support or something that we were headed for over the garage wall. I also got all the holes drilled for the two runs of 1" PEX for the unit heater but we'll actually put that in tomorrow. For that we're using rolled PEX and so it will just be a straight 50' piece from the roll for each leg from the boiler to the heater.

IMG_3584.jpegIMG_3585.jpegIMG_3595.jpegIMG_6114.jpeg71903501273__577CE64E-3894-4BD6-9230-F04AD5FD90EF.jpeg71903505246__B1DBED79-FC0D-4FAF-853E-50992527B023.jpeg71903508176__5234AFC2-B9F5-4252-9413-46B19B1DF624.jpeg

Wouldn't let me post my whole missive so here is the second part:

Also been trying to get the commitment letter/pre-approval for the final mortgage so that the construction loan bank has warm and fuzzies and let's us finish. This has been a multi week stress. Their own mortgage department processed it but their rates were not competitive (more than 1% point above my credit union for example and much more closing costs/ fees) and we came in above their values. I applied at my credit union at a much better rate and fees but they processed it wrong as they don't do a lot of construction loan to long term refinances and thought it had to be a "cash out" mortgage since the total amount is above what the actual value of the construction loan currently is. I had the construction loan bank write a letter explaining how there is only one "payoff amount" generated and it is done per regulations as a normal "term" loan. i think they then re-evaluated, I am not sure, but then they said we didn't wualify as the debt to income ration is too high.

I had tried to explain this to them but they did not evaluate it such -- to keep construction going I've purchased a bunch of fixtures, materials, etc. on my credit cards. These will be paid no later than the final draw submission to the construction loan bank and will not be carried into the long term mortgage period and should not have been part of their calculations. They've in effect counted these thousands of dollars twice since they counted it as existing liabilities as well as in the total mortgage (since the total mortgage is refinancing the constructiuon loan which will have already paid them off). I'm still fighting this battle. I've also started speaking to the other credit union we use regularly -- my wife's that I'm also joint on, the original CU I used being the one I've been a member at since I was 17 -- 40 years and she is joint on my account. This is a backup since I've already had 2 inquiries (hard credit inquiries) and don't need another. Their rate is not quite as good as my credit unions and I don't know how their fees are but they are more knowledgeable about construction loan refinances as they do construction loans themselves, and so know how to refinance them, which my CU doesn't do (construction loans) so doesn't have a lot of experience on how that works.

The construction loan bank is also requiring that I put in more myself to cover the budget above the existing construction loan which I'm trying to do by taking retirement loans from my 401k and the wife's 403b (a 401k for a non-profit is a 403b -- shge has both as her hospital is a non profit but also does normal billed work) and I also sold my silver and gold (privately so did better than what I would have gotten selling to a dealer). We got the check from the 403b (wife's retirement loan) and the precious metals money but my 401k is being stupid.

Oct 6 I get a text that they can't process my 401k loan application since it is "missing supporting documentation". Well, it's not. I included exactly what they said on the application for a "custom house with construction loan". I called in on Monday the 8th and the rep said they needed the sales contract and mortgage contract. I explained that that was what their app said was needed for a normal house purchase but that the application specifically had other requirements for my type of project. Those things don't even make sense. The rep looked things over and agreed and said she would mark it as a "custom house with construction loan" and send it back to the processing department and it would be 1-2 days. After 3 1/2 days and nothing from them, I called them this past Friday, the 13th. I spoke to another rep who said nothing ahd been done and she would call the back office to see what was up. I was on hold a while -- actually several "whiles" as she came back a few times but she agreed that the app specified a different set of documents for a custom house with construction loan and that the docs I had submitted were correct for that but that she couldn't reach the back office -- they were not answering. So she said she would try and push it back and to call in Modnay or Tuesday to follow up.

Friday evening after hours I get another text that they can't process my application due to missing required supporting documentation. I'll be calling in tomorrow though I did send a long missive tonight through the retirement companies website "contact us" facility.

The wife's 403B loan had a slightly different set of supporting documentation needed than my 401k though they were similar lists. I gathered all the documents for both and made a second set and sent the complete set to both the 403B and the 401K, so I actually sent more than they asked for but all things which would be helpful anyway. The 403B check has come already while I am fighting Vanguard for the 401K loan.

If you're the praying sort, I could use some extra prayers to get this all resolved and get all the ocntractors here and their work done post haste. I need this done before the end of the year. If you're not the praying sort, your good vibes and well wishes are also appreciated.

Anyway, that is why I have been lurking but not saying much the last few weeks. Been mostly dealing with banks, credit unions, returement accounts, etc. and trying to get everything lined up so we can continue. I've been getting some things done anyway but need to get this all taken care of and done.

RANT: The NFL needs to push the kickoff spot back 10-15 yards! Sick and tired of seeing the ball sail into the end zone with no runbacks. What a waste of everyone's time and special teams effort!

Cleveland is leading San Fran in the third - does my heart good!

BASEBALL - Still trying to believe the two 3 and out of both the Birds and Dodgers?
Baseball: Go Diamondbacks!!!

Good morning. It's cloudy and 62.

For taxes, I "try" to arrange for a $100-$200 refund. While I dislike giving the government an interest-free loan, I like having to write a check to them even less. Last year was a disaster, having to pay quite a bit.

God afternoon. It did finally warm up but the dogs will have to wait a day to explore because the NASCAR race is in. Supposed to be a bit warmer any way.

Many thanks for the comments on the photos.

KriegslokBR52 - with a bit of work, that could be a great locomotive. This little guy came out of a friends junk box and sat in my junk box for a few years before I got to work on it. There was no tender, pilot, headlight couplers and other details. Finally found a tender and had the rest of the parts in my parts drawers,

View attachment 175449
Nice. I purchased a "Prairie" without a tender a while ago. Mine looks like a Santa Fe, eventually Burlington Route unit. No clue what make (Varney?) Did get a tender shell at train show. Butchered up a cheap Tyco caboose to get frame proper length and mate that with tender shell. Didn't get my running yet, as the valve gear needs attention. But it'll look like SF 1000 series steamer when i'm done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back