Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.

I expect to be tied up for a few days, helping move the current family out of the house we bought, and moving my son's family in. It all starts right after I pick up the U-Haul van in about an hour.
You can bet that I'd rather be working on my layout this weekend. My back is going to take a beating lifting all that furniture.

Possibly won't be back in until next week, but I'll leave a few archived tank car photos on the table. Some might be interested in seeing them while having coffee.
View attachment 154917View attachment 154918View attachment 154919

Have a wonderful weekend. See ya soon.
Thanks Guy.

You can find some videos on YouTube of them fighting and eating various other bugs.
Making more progress on my 2-track viaduct
Pizza King? I guess the name is about as silly as Pizza Ranch. I guess there are only so many names to use
  1. Ken (VA): Remember an occurrance, back in 10th grade, a Biology assignment to catch and identify bugs. So I went down along the railroad where there were numerous weeds, and captured bugs, and inserted them in a container. I caught a Praying Mantis and placed him in the container. When I got home, I was shocked and surprised to find the Mantis had eaten all my other specimins. :rolleyes:
  2. George: Love it. Looks great.
  3. Dave: How about "Red Moon"? When Rudy Guliani went after the Gambino Family, when he was US Attorney, all the great Pizza Shops around here closed, as did the wholesale distributor that supplied them. The ones we have now are meh.
  4. Guy: Literally, watch your back.
Everyone, have a nice day.
WB Passenger behind 2 GG1s crossing Raritan River Br. - Jeremy Plant Photo.jpg

What appears to be the Broadway Limited behind two GG1s Westbound, crossing the Raritan River between Highland Park, and New Brunswick NJ, during the Penn Central era....Jeremy Plant photo.

Good Morning All. As I start this post at 0600, it's cloudy and 58°. It was 62° when I got up at 0400. I hear thunder in the distance, but the expected rain of over an inch hasn't reached us yet. It's damn close! Within a mile or two in two directions. Right now the showers look to be light to moderate on the radar, but they aren't moving very much so the lingering will produce rain all day long. Temperature today will not warm up, high tomorrow will be 61° and back into the more seasonal low 70's Sunday, which will last for a while.
Yesterday was another Chamber of Commerce day here. Sunshine, low 70's, no winds and the insects seemed to have gone away for the winter. The weekly grocery trek went well except the prevailing outfit on the young ladies has shifted from shorts or sundresses, to Lululemon workout pants. Not always a good thing. While they are made for everyone, they should not be worn by everyone. Prices this week seemed to have stabilized a bit, with only poultry and eggs continuing to go up. Gasoline has settled in at $3.19 for now; I had enough fuel points to get a 50¢/gal reduction.
On the way home, we stopped at a new to us BBQ joint. He's a one man business who has actually been there ten years. It's a little red trailer, semi-permanently parked, similar to the one that I built last month, with a couple of smokers next to it; cash only with limited sides but lots of meats. He's located about a quarter mile from the local high school and gets a lot of lunch business from students. He is also benefiting right now because the state highway department is going to widen the road out front to a 4/5 lane affair. Presently and for the last 18 months, all of the utility relocation contractors have provided a surge in business. The highway workers themselves will start next summer. I got a combo plate with sliced brisket, smoked sausage and pork ribs. Wife got a half pound of pulled pork. The meat and BBQ sauce were very good, the sides were just average. More than enough for lunch, so I will eat the leftovers today or tomorrow. My three meat plate with sides was $16, the half pound of pork was $10. Good prices for around here. We never knew that he existed because he's located on the side of town that we normally don't go to, no stores or other businesses over there. Pepperbelly is the establishment's name.

Thanks for all of the comments and reactions regarding the random scenes that I posted yesterday.

Out in the train shed, I had a mixed afternoon. Most of the time I was doing some infrastructure work on the wiring under the upper level. It started when I finally looked into why locos were slowing down on a certain section of track in one of my DC blocks. Not the whole block, just 9' of it. The feeder connection was good, the feeder to the terminal block was good, but there was no power connection to that terminal on the block. All power was coming through the rail. So I fixed that.
I also planted two trees, since I had made a bunch last month and had not planted most of them. Some went in around the 7-11 store back then.
IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

Then off to a scene on the other side of the layout to add some figures.
IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG
IMG_2295.JPG

Tom O - I am bothered by the suggested tips on restaurant checks. They are on most around here, but some figure it on the before tax total, while others figure it on the after tax total. I always tip on the after-tax total because it's easier, it only amounts to an extra quarter or lessand I figure my own which is usually 20%+ in cash also. I tip only at sit down places with table service, never leaving anything in the "jar" when I pick up. From what I can determine by talking to many servers, most establishments require the servers to "donate" 1% of their shift sales to the tip pool for busboys, kitchen help and cooks. Income tax withholding is only based on wages and credit card tips. It seems to me that most servers are happy with their jobs. We eat out usually once a week because I like to cook.
Snowman - Good point about the breakfast tipping. I'm not too sure that I ever ate breakfast at a sit down restaurant though.
James - Back to tipping! I haven't been to an establishment yet that automatically adds the tip. I probably would not go back.
Steve J - I guess that the comment didn't offend anyone, it's still there.
Clergy are truly in a minority when it comes to declaring cash gifts on their taxes, not that I would expect otherwise. Back in the 60's, part of my Dad's tithing was to have a case of Scotch sent to the rectory for the monsignor every couple of months. I think that he continued well into the 80's.
Hughie - Looking forward to your brewery build.

Since I started this post a few hours ago, the temperature has dropped another 8° and 0.4" of rain has fallen. No I am not a slow writer, I took a 90 minute break when my wife got up and I watched a bit on the Fox Business channel.

Everybody have a great day.

Hi again. Spoke to the son in Austin, usually he texts. He owns a company that specializes in moving birds, snakes and bats, yes the creatures. He does a lot of work for the government sector, high rises, schools and the Texas university system all over the state. Out checking on a job this morning and the rain started. Just opened up and he and his crew are soaked. So he had available time to call dad! He has 9 employees, 2 in the office and the rest out in the field. He said he could use 4 more in the field at least. Interviewing yesterday when they started talking money 2 guys who have not worked in 2022 and were qualified said no. $25 per hour to start, 32 hours guaranteed even if not worked wasn’t enough. When they were told after 90 days that pay is $30 one guy said that’s chicken feed money.

His 3 planes for the air taxi business are not even in the production schedule yet and he was to have had delivery the 1st week of October. He wanted some advice! I told him to read the contract again and see if there is anything in there to force the company. I will read my copy too. He is using the 1 plane he has to keep 3 pilots busy for now. He said leasing is not an option.

I am so happy to be out of the rat race of business

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk, then chores, then Wally World. Now I'm tired and sitting on my back side. The wife will want me to help her put together lasagna in a bit.

Hughie- I took a hard look at that kit when I was still deciding what was going on the layout during the planning stages. I went with a coal theme and didn't need it but I do like it's looks.

Willie- Nice scenes.

TomO- That person has a different idea of what chicken feed is compared to me.

Dave- Nice scene.

Guy- Nice tank shots.

George- NIce looking bridge.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon from the train room. Frustration about to be EXPRESSED

As a good modeler should do a few times at least in their modeling life I cleaned my workspace yesterday.

WHERE is my scale ruler and NMRA gauge? They were right there, yesterday. I just wasted 20 minutes looking. I need the ruler for sure today…nasty words exploding in my brain

So I did what I have learned from some millennials and gen Xers. I walked away

I cleaned the bench to bring this over to prime door frames, rain downfall piping, vents and fire hose connections
63864808-9DA0-495B-9FB1-840703F80FB5.jpeg

9461F2DD-F57C-4F19-9C51-5C6668315BB5.jpeg

So I hear there's only a 25 day supply of diesel fuel left in the supply chain which may cause lots of problems this winter. I have a fire place which we never use and a wood stove in the basement. I guess I'll have to buy some firewood.
George
I work at the County, 3rd largest county in MN by land size, we have several shops with lots of snow plowing and road maintenance. Today the Engineer brought up a discussion if we should keep our storage tanks more full than normal due to this diesel fuel fact.

For stove wood, I would strongly recommend buying it now and stack it where it can be kept out of the rain and with good ventilation if possible. Nothing worse than soggy wood when you go to warm up the house!

If anyone does the news feed on their computer, there is a story out there by CBS news about a nickel mine in Tamarack, MN. It is half owned by Elon Musk, called Talon. This mine is also in our county and this is an interesting development on what is needed to make electric cars work. (unfortunately, whole nickels do not come out of the mine :D)

I just heard the stock piles are almost gone and they won't be replenished. They say it's going to be an expensive year for those in the northeast and it may be rationed.
George

This is one of the effects of not building new refineries or permitting the updates and upgrades to existing refineries, most all of which are getting kind of old.

(No further comment from me to avoid the political ban hammer)

This is one of the effects of not building new refineries or permitting the updates and upgrades to existing refineries, most all of which are getting kind of old.

(No further comment from me to avoid the political ban hammer)
DRILL BABY DRILL

I don't think it is political if you are working in the oilfield or at a refinery! Or even on a pipeline. It is more like putting bread and butter on the table.

I worked on refinery updates in the construction side of things, Flint Hills in Rosemount, MN. They pretty much shut down during the pandemic.

DRILL BABY DRILL

I don't think it is political if you are working in the oilfield or at a refinery! Or even on a pipeline. It is more like putting bread and butter on the table.

I worked on refinery updates in the construction side of things, Flint Hills in Rosemount, MN. They pretty much shut down during the pandemic.

There are a myriad of cases where permits to build new refineries or tyo do major upgrades and maintenance on refineries have been denied by states and governments, where mainly one certain party is in charge. No new refineries in California, for instance, since the 1970s IIRC, and there have been a lot of permitting issues in the north east as well...

New or upgraded refineries require a large investment in capital. A brand new refinery will take ten years to bring 100% on line. Oil companies are reluctant to make the investment required, if they are not going to get a sufficient return on their investment. When they are operating in an environment where the sitting president of the US is going to eliminate all fossil fuels within ten years, it is a waste of money to invest in new or upgraded refinerys. As existing refineries reach obsolescence or have major component failure, they will be shut down. I'm not a big fan of Big Oil, but they are caught between the rock and the government vise,and we feel the effects of the squeeze.

Another factor, since our multinational banks are on this green kick, there is no guarantee that a refiner willing to accept the financial risk of building or rebuilding a refinery will obtain the financing needed to complete the project.

On another sad note, Jerry Lee Lewis passed away today at 87. Great Balls of Fire! Jerry Lee Lewis RIP.

Also passing today, the Rev. Dr. Calvin O Butts, late pastor of the Abyssinian Baptist Church of Harlem at age 73. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back