Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a day, started work at 06.15, finished at 19.45 spent over 2 hours by the side of the road waiting for a recovery vehicle, at least I'll get paid for the day. :( I'm tired, fed up, cold and hungry and NOT getting this Machine shop built, Oh! and to really make my day, seems I have a serious oil leak on my car.

And now chaos, she lasted 6 weeks and 2 days, now we are on the third one in one year.:mad:

I'm going to bed now.

G'nite folks.
The head of lettuce outlasted her.

Aaaaghhhh, can't get control of this cold. Itchy runny nose and watery eyes are the main issue.
No ambition to do anything but just sit here and surf the web and watching stupid YouTube videos.
I had planned to go up to Detroit this weekend, but now, with this, don't want to spread it to others.
Was gonna go to the train club this morning but don't want to spread this there either.
I started Saturday with a sinus infection. Monday took a covid test and was positive. Off work for the week. You might want to take a home test to be sure.

My viaduct project has turned into a kit bash. Purchasing all those towers and bridges I needed for my 1st plan I though was just too much money for the project. It was like $260.00 for everything. I have a lot of stuff I could just bash together so I'm not going to post it in the structures forum. It's now turned in to a kit bash. I will need 8 Atlas deck truss bridges though. You can pick those up for around $9.00 Here's how it's going so far. The center tower is not done yet I have more stuff to add before that's finished
George

viaduct_25.JPG

Casting back about thirty five years or so here. I had a basketball buddy who moved up to Granby, CO, and who worked @a ski shop in Winter Park. Made enough to pay his rent, eat, and buy himself a season pass.

I drove up one weekend in early December so we could ski as much as possible during his upcoming vacation week. Stayed in the house trailer he was renting up in Granby. Forty below zero every night all week.

We drove into WP each morning, assuming one of cars could be coaxed into starting, grabbed some breakfast, and headed for the slopes. Every day for about six days straight, as I recall it.

There was a nice little place to get coffee, ham n' eggs, English muffins...pancakes or waffles if you were so inclined. Maybe six or eight little tables, and with baked goods--donuts, muffins, that sort of thing in a glass case along the west side of the room...cash register, you get the idea. Remember, this is shortly before Christmas, so they also had some really well done gingerbread houses along the top of one end of the case, and on one or both shelves inside too. Centerpiece stuff, each one of these, and even then they probably cost over a hundred dollars each. Any model railroader would do well to equal such work, even if he wasn't working with frosting.

Good morning for skiing too, this particular day. Light snow coming down outside--gonna have a nice covering of new snow. Colored lights inside the eatery. Good coffee. Good way to start a day on the slopes.

Little gal working the register this morning. Stands maybe 4'10." Shorter'n Flo by at least six inches, and she had a bit harder time fitting donuts into the boxes, as she had to reach a bit higher up than the others, somewhat more overhead, just to get them out of the case and up to the top of the counter without a problem. To box things up, that is.

So we're eating when a BIG man comes in. Like 6'10," probably 350 and built like a lumberjack. Big broad shoulders. All muscle, this guy.

Dressed like a lumberjack too. Pendleton wool shirt, rolled up sleeves, lace up ankle high work boots, and red suspenders to top it all off. Big hands, and a big beard of course. He didn't have a blue ox with him, but otherwise a very good likeness of Paul Bunyan.

He also had a good sense of humor too....and very good timing as it turns out. :D

-----------

All of us--the diners--couldn't help but notice him, and the ladies heads were all spun right around...those with their backs to him anyway. At least half of the gals were visibly drooling.

So he walks up to the glass case/counter, looks down at all the choices, and spreads his hands apart along the front edge of the case--full wingspan--which was easily wider than he was tall (I was watching all this from behind him, with my back to a window). And the little lady behind the case comes up on the other side, looks up with a pale face and big, wide eyes, and says: "Can I...can I help you?" She surely had to muster up some courage even to do that. I stood 6'5" myself back then, and this guy would easily have intimidated me too had he wanted to.

"Yeh, I think you can, little lady." Long pause as he's perusing the offerings...(it's grown a bit quieter).

"I'll take two dozen donuts I think. Mebbe....six...raised, six powdered sugar. Three coconut, three...chocolate cake...lessee...

...yeah, and six of them nice lookin' ones with the little colored sprinkles."

[There were a few quiet chuckles heard around the room at that last one]

"Certainly, sir." So she boxes up the donuts, stacks them one atop the other at the register, and comes back...looks up again. "Will there be anything else?" Still wide eyed, looking up almost at the ceiling.

"Yeh," he says. Another pause--almost everyone there is hanging on every word by now.

"Yeh....why don't you throw a half-dozen of them purty little houses in a bag for me too."

I nearly spit my mouthful of scrambled eggs all over the front of the glass case at that, and I was on the other side of the room. The whole place just broke up laughing.

She did too. She had a huge smile on her face when she handed him his change.

And he knew. A big, wide grin on his face too--when he turned around to head back out the door. But without that bag full of little houses after all.

"Oh Flo...more coffee please?"

Last edited:
Good morning, Everybody!

Our Samsung smart double oven gas range is installed and setup. Now all we need to do is to learn how to use it. Like most everything these days it has an online user manual.

MLB league championships are interesting. Two top teams facing each other in the AL. Two wild card teams in the NL. Three 200 million plus teams. The Yankees 251 million, Phillies 234 million, Padres 218 and the team with the most regular season wins, 106 the Astros 176 million.

The two teams that spent the most, the Dodgers 261 million and the Mets 259 million. They are both watching the games on TV, just like me!

I am pulling for Dusty Baker's Astros!

Great, get into work and have to deal with a flipping dumbell screaming at me that there is a vehicle parked in front of us, and the driver is an idiot for parking there etc. etc.

1) There was nowhere else for it to go
2) It can be moved

Our yard is quite small so it's no big deal really, we have to move vehicles most mornings to get out our yard, but the way he carried on, screaming and shouting, anyone would think the apocalypse was upon us, a great start to my day, not.

Great, get into work and have to deal with a flipping dumbell screaming at me that there is a vehicle parked in front of us, and the driver is an idiot for parking there etc. etc.

2) It can be moved

Our yard is quite small so it's no big deal really, we have to move vehicles most mornings to get out our yard, but the way he carried on, screaming and shouting, anyone would think the apocalypse was upon us, a great start to my day, not.
In Holland one is not supposed to park or halt at any yard (entrance). Nobody knows the rules however and whats more the rules change without notice. Does anybody in the world knows the law? I mean all the fractions of the law. NO. So in my opinion people should be upgraded ones a year in a small course. 1 evening is enough to update the changes of the last year. Not done that course...no driver license.

Now I love my job, I really do.

My day just get's better and better.

My Boss just phoned me, "can I do him a favour" Yes, sure what do you need? I've a Coach coming back from the South of France
Me Ok?
Boss, Drivers not well, we're going to have to take him off.
Me, Okayyyy ????
Boss, I need you to go over and bring the Coach and passengers back.
Me, OK, when?
Boss, Tonight when you get back from this run your on
Me, (to myself wtf?????) Why me?
Boss, your the only driver I've got with continental driving experience and a valid passport.
Me, So I'm taking the company car? Where are they?
Boss, No, we're taking you home first, grab your overnight stuff then to the Eurostar, the group's in Paris.
Me, Oh ! OK, so the other drivers coming back with me?
Boss, No, he'll be coming back in a few days
Me, ???????
Boss, You'll find out when you get there, so I might as well tell you, he's had a heart attack in his sleep, the maid found him, so the body won't be coming back till the post mortem's done.
Me, ????????????????????
Boss, and your staying in his room.
Me, no,no,no,no, no chance find me another room or hotel.
Boss, we'll try, but no guarantee.

Did I tell you I love my job.

In Holland one is not supposed to park or halt at any yard (entrance). Nobody knows the rules however and whats more the rules change without notice. Does anybody in the world knows the law? I mean all the fractions of the law. NO. So in my opinion people should be upgraded ones a year in a small course. 1 evening is enough to update the changes of the last year. Not done that course...no driver license.
We park inside our yard, we own the property, offices, workshop, the lot even if we parked in the entrance, we still own it, so its no problem.

2) It can be moved

The head of lettuce is unemployed. You could see about replacing the idiot with it.

Or let the Torries select it for the next PM

I found this quite interesting

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used?

Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads. Why did the English build them like that?

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used. So, why did 'they' use that gauge then?

Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing. Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts. So who built those old rutted roads?

Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.
And what about the ruts in the roads?
Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.)

Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass.

And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back