Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

61° and cloudy this morning. Supposed to stay relatively cool today as a cold front comes through this morning, and then sunny by afternoon.

Those blueberry pancakes with bacon Karl is having sound good this morning. Add the big cup of coffee with it, Thanks Flo.

BBL

Good Morning!

Darkness still covers us at 6:30am and it's a bit chilly outside, but, let's be happy with life anyway.
I've taken over 100 beaver at work photos over the last couple of days. I take great joy in being outside and photographing nature and trains. Frankly, the practice seriously cuts into any layout room construction and modeling; and the cold don't seem to stop me much. But, I have a huge number of not bad photos to share with the world. It makes me feel good and gives me a sense of purpose.

I found another ex CREX locomotive sitting in Jasper the other day. So, I took a couple of photos for the historical record:
CN 3926_Jasper_10-18-2021 (1).jpg

CN 3926_Jasper_10-18-2021 (2).jpg

I also took a few photos of neat looking buildings located in tourist town Jasper. One never knows when they need an alpine looking building photo. - I can guarantee you that this building is not a restaurant, but, it's a nice enough building:
Public_10-18-2021.jpg

Well folks, that's my post for today. Once again, thanks for likes and comments on these simple post.

Have a good one!

Willie: When we first moved to Jersey, the subdivision was inhabited with raccoon, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, and a red fox family, that had ample food available from the critters. Since our neighborhood was populated mostly by Staten Islanders, Animal Control was on the top of the phone list, followed by Code enforcement. Gradually we evolved. More Brooklynites, white tail deer, chipmunks, wild turkeys, red tail hawks, turkey buzzards, crows and Bald Eagles. Squirrels and chipmunks, rabbits remain, with ample cover from hungry birds of prey. They are all fun to watch, but destructive. But with much development, the critters migrate into established neighborhoods.

TomO: The October RMH is up and while paging through, I found some familiar pulp cars featured. Cool! Proud of ya, Mr. O. ;)

Concerning the prices for "Vintage" Tyco and Life Like stuff, Good for the seller, they buyer gets what they get. I don't buy used, get most of my stuff from my LHS, Trainworld, and MB Klein. I have cut back on my buying while I search my inventory for items to offer for sale.

Karl: Neat 40Th car.
View attachment 134150
View attachment 134150
Waverly 5, Newark, NJ, early CR. Train is approaching Haynes Ave OH Bridge, Second bridge in background is the McCarter HWY (NJ21). Captain Weems, your cleared to land at EWR which is to the right of the photographer. Two running tracks and a weed filled field remain in 2021. Photo provided by Mike Shanley.
Boris, thank you. I post so seldom at MRH forums and actually had missed the last couple of magazines and really no idea why I looked at the October issue. Felt good, my second posting he has highlited in the monthly magazine

TomO

OK I have a question for TomO or anyone else that can answer this for me......

How does an ALL door box car work? In this link here that I am providing shows 4 doors on the boxcar. Apparently ADN had over 2000 cars at one time and they had plenty of these. I just don't know if the doors pop out then slide sideways over each other or pop up some how? I am at a loss....

View attachment 134151

By the way the link is a really nice webpage on the ADN history.

Thanks!

EDIT: Does anyone make these cars in HO scale?
James, sorry for taking so long to respond. Terry of course has responded and is correct. Personally I have never seen a real one but have seen a couple of the models.

TomO

Good Day from the West - we are starting the day at 46F (normal this date is 55F) and looking for a high of 76F (record high this date was 103F in 1999).
The cooler nights and mornings have forced me to dig out the electric heaters to take the chill off early during the day. My blood has thinned to the point that anything below 60F is cold to me and forces me to put my pants on.
I have to go and help the carpenter neighbor finish doing a few hole repairs in sheetrock and a closet door. He is good on rough work, but cannot do the final finish type work - doesn't have the patience!
KARL - Love those cars, both the box and the all-door type.
KEN - Good luck with the interview - seriously hope that you make the transition.

FLO - Please, if Mel is up to it, let me have one of his garbage omelets this morning with bacon and biscuits & gravy on the side? Glass of Diet DP to drink.

JOE - you have been shinning with the rail photos lately. I remember those tracks approaching EWR and I can remember seeing a few GG-1's thinking that they were "cool-looking" locomotives! Cannot remember if you told us - Did you steer any GG-1's during your tenure? I'm not sure that I could run something without a joystick or wheel to maneuver?

Already I forget -- The link to the AShel and Drew RR was neat - thanks for posting it. That's sort of in my backyard where I grew up. Neat paint on the Locos and they had quite a stable for a 40 mile shortline?

I better run and place some orders! BBL

Good morning global modelers from the coolness of So. Central Wisconsin. Actually a fairly warm overnight where it did not drop below 50f degrees. Currently 51f/10.5c degrees warming into the 70’s. The weather folks were saying yesterday this should be the last day of reaching 70 degrees for the year.

I finished cutting the grass yesterday and all but 2 art work/lawn ornaments outside have been pulled up and taken into the garage. I will clean them up today and spray paint some heavy lacquer to keep the rusting in the current state. Tomorrow they will go into storage.

Terry is talking Farmer Market trip this morning but doesn’t want anything as we leave Saturday. Just a trip out, I am ok with that. Trainroom time will just be running some trains.

Have a great day
TomO

Good Morning All. Clear and 64°, forecast is calling for 85° today, maybe 90° by Saturday. Maybe rain late next week.
The parade of critters continues on the SFW estate. Yesterday saw the local squirrel looking for a spot to hide it's acorn, in an unusual place, on the side wall of the covered pool!
IMG_7955.JPG

IMG_7956.JPG

That thing that looks like a golf ball in it's mouth is an acorn from one of my several Bur Oak trees.

Traveled north yesterday to Gainesville TX to get the new handicap placard for the car. On the way, I noted that some of the nearby wind generators were operational. There's 53 of these things built over 16,000 acres about 8 miles away. None were working about three months ago. However only about 40 of them are working right now. I heard from a neighbor that ERCOT (remember them from the Deep Freeze fiasco), has not built additional transmission lines to allow full operations yet. Supposedly the wind farm has put up a bond for their portion of the costs, but ERCOT has not. The right of way already exists alongside the current existing lines.
Today's medical trip takes us to the infectious disease doctor, for a consultation regarding the effectiveness of the antibiotic infusions that my wife is taking. Hopefully he agrees to the 12-3 replacement surgery.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the staging yard posted yesterday; Tom O, Chad, Sherrel, Steve J, Curt, Hughie, Karl, Joe, Ken, Guy, Patrick, Rick.

I'll take a Western Omelet today Flo. Give me an extra handful of bacon on the side.

Yesterday in the train shed was a do-over day. Apparently the dull coat that I sprayed on Ramone's Sunday evening, made most of the mortar wash disappear.
IMG_7959.JPG

It also discolored part of the roof for some reason.
IMG_7957.JPG

IMG_7958.JPG

I redid two of the walls before running out of time, burgers on the grill needed to be started.
IMG_7960.JPG

I also cut out finished adding all of the clear styrene to the smaller second floor windows, all 21 of them.

Guy - Despite looking like it just came from the manufacturer yesterday, that steam engine looks mighty good. Needs some weathering though!
Karl - Missed it earlier, but congratulations to your son.
Joe - Thanks.
Mikey - Your method for painting figures is along the same lines as mine. I generally have several dozen going at once, with the skin color painted, at the side of the workbench, and every time I paint something else, I add that color to several of the figures until some are eventually completed.
Willie- your tracks remind me of a Los Angeles freeway! Do you use a leaf blower to dust it?
Ha Ha. No, I just empty the yard once every two years and go completely over it with a hand-held B&D vacuum. That is after I carefully look for any loose parts.
Tom O - Boy, that's a real bummer regarding the new neighbors and their apparent disregard of fence lines. And to have destroyed it as well. The wife may be a catalyst for good behavior though.
Troy -
Are the two levels of the layout connected? Helix, or a long grade if they are?
At present, no they are not connected. I have made allowances for a helix to be added in the future. I would prefer a long grade, but I haven't figured out where I could add it where it makes sense. To make a helix, I would have to first build an external "helix room", that's in the original plan, but never consummated, and then go through the wall to access it. I already have the external siding and internal plywood for the walls, just need the 2" x 4"'s and the insulation. The plan on paper calls for an approximate 5' x 8' oval helix. One obstacle is climate control, another is just finding the time to do it.
Curt -
We found a local charity that is coming out Thursday morning to take the left over furniture items (3 tall cabinets and a love seat and hopefully the several in the garage
In the neighborhood that my three brothers live in in Dallas, There are specific Mondays a month for the city to collect that stuff. Anything put out on the weekend is normally gone by the time the city truck comes around! A small army of pick up trucks and small trailers scours the area on Sunday and removes it. I guess that it is technically a charity!
It did take me a while to lay that much straight track. It's got over 190' of track in it. 53 pieces of uncut flex track alone!
Hughie - Up here in North Central Texas, snake moving time has just begun as they search for places to establish their winter dens. I don't have copperheads or rattler's so I leave them all alone for rodent control.
Joe - Due to our arid conditions, critters aren't as numerous, but just as varied. Always interesting to watch and that's why I bring he camera along when I walk. Instead of foxes though, we have a mountain lion.

Everybody have a great day today, whichever one it is!!! Maybe it's Wednesday.

Good Morning All. Clear and 64°, forecast is calling for 85° today, maybe 90° by Saturday. Maybe rain late next week.
The parade of critters continues on the SFW estate. Yesterday saw the local squirrel looking for a spot to hide it's acorn, in an unusual place, on the side wall of the covered pool!
View attachment 134164
View attachment 134165
That thing that looks like a golf ball in it's mouth is an acorn from one of my several Bur Oak trees.

Traveled north yesterday to Gainesville TX to get the new handicap placard for the car. On the way, I noted that some of the nearby wind generators were operational. There's 53 of these things built over 16,000 acres about 8 miles away. None were working about three months ago. However only about 40 of them are working right now. I heard from a neighbor that ERCOT (remember them from the Deep Freeze fiasco), has not built additional transmission lines to allow full operations yet. Supposedly the wind farm has put up a bond for their portion of the costs, but ERCOT has not. The right of way already exists alongside the current existing lines.
Today's medical trip takes us to the infectious disease doctor, for a consultation regarding the effectiveness of the antibiotic infusions that my wife is taking. Hopefully he agrees to the 12-3 replacement surgery.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the staging yard posted yesterday; Tom O, Chad, Sherrel, Steve J, Curt, Hughie, Karl, Joe, Ken, Guy, Patrick, Rick.

I'll take a Western Omelet today Flo. Give me an extra handful of bacon on the side.

Yesterday in the train shed was a do-over day. Apparently the dull coat that I sprayed on Ramone's Sunday evening, made most of the mortar wash disappear.
View attachment 134166
It also discolored part of the roof for some reason.View attachment 134167
View attachment 134168
I redid two of the walls before running out of time, burgers on the grill needed to be started.
View attachment 134169
I also cut out finished adding all of the clear styrene to the smaller second floor windows, all 21 of them.

Guy - Despite looking like it just came from the manufacturer yesterday, that steam engine looks mighty good. Needs some weathering though!
Karl - Missed it earlier, but congratulations to your son.
Joe - Thanks.
Mikey - Your method for painting figures is along the same lines as mine. I generally have several dozen going at once, with the skin color painted, at the side of the workbench, and every time I paint something else, I add that color to several of the figures until some are eventually completed.

Ha Ha. No, I just empty the yard once every two years and go completely over it with a hand-held B&D vacuum. That is after I carefully look for any loose parts.
Tom O - Boy, that's a real bummer regarding the new neighbors and their apparent disregard of fence lines. And to have destroyed it as well. The wife may be a catalyst for good behavior though.
Troy -

At present, no they are not connected. I have made allowances for a helix to be added in the future. I would prefer a long grade, but I haven't figured out where I could add it where it makes sense. To make a helix, I would have to first build an external "helix room", that's in the original plan, but never consummated, and then go through the wall to access it. I already have the external siding and internal plywood for the walls, just need the 2" x 4"'s and the insulation. The plan on paper calls for an approximate 5' x 8' oval helix. One obstacle is climate control, another is just finding the time to do it.
Curt -

In the neighborhood that my three brothers live in in Dallas, There are specific Mondays a month for the city to collect that stuff. Anything put out on the weekend is normally gone by the time the city truck comes around! A small army of pick up trucks and small trailers scours the area on Sunday and removes it. I guess that it is technically a charity!
It did take me a while to lay that much straight track. It's got over 190' of track in it. 53 pieces of uncut flex track alone!
Hughie - Up here in North Central Texas, snake moving time has just begun as they search for places to establish their winter dens. I don't have copperheads or rattler's so I leave them all alone for rodent control.
Joe - Due to our arid conditions, critters aren't as numerous, but just as varied. Always interesting to watch and that's why I bring he camera along when I walk. Instead of foxes though, we have a mountain lion.

Everybody have a great day today, whichever one it is!!! Maybe it's Wednesday.
Our St. Vincent DePaul store does pick ups but won’t enter the house since Covid. When we put out a grill a few summers ago on Sunday evening I looked out about 15 minutes later and it was gone. Our refuse is a Monday pickup and anything out Sunday outside the bins is free game, if not the disposal crews take it.

Hope the doctors are ok with the healing process.

TomO

Afternoon All,

Started out doing chores then worked on the layout for a bit. Tomorrow it's back out to Dad's.

Joe- Nice photo.

Guy- That loco looks like it's had serious use!

TomO- Congratulations on the MRH photos.

Willie- The building continues to look good. The house is in a town that has strict garbage pickup that means most of the "trash" comes back to my house since they'll pretty much pick up anything in my town. I was ready for the dumpster 3 weeks ago but the wife insists on giving away most of it. It has caused more than one disagreement and has significantly lengthened the process. I'm at the point I just want to be done and not have the house taking over my life. Can you tell I'm over it?

Garry- I'm very sorry to hear your news. Thankfully the defibrillator worked as it should. Prayers to you and your family.

Jaz- Nice photos. Is it what appears to be a crane in the last photo over a track with what appears to be no offload capability?20211020_122204.jpg

The styrene is not glued down.

20211020_125308.jpg

20211020_130516.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back