Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Clear and 55° this morning going for a high of 76° later on. Still a little warm for this late in the year. Supposed to be windy today, hopefully make the pecan tree in a neighboring yard drop more pecans. About 60% of the tree overhangs the fence and onto the city hall grassy area between their fence and the parking lot. 2 years ago I was able to get about 6-7 pounds of pecans. Last year they froze in the hulls due to an early hard freeze. What irritates me most is the darn squirrels. They take a small chunk out of one and drop it. Eat the whole thing dang it....Although pecan fed squirrels are pretty tasty. Unfortunately, you can't hunt squirrels or rabbits in town.

Not much else going on.

BBL

Well even though it rained this past weekend I still got my 90% of my wood split. I have a pallet and a half left to split that is stacked 6 feet high. Then I will begin the relocation and stacking of all the split wood that equates to 3 cords. That is on tap for this weekend. Who needs to work in a gym? I work out ....I work...outside! ;):D

Well I am a bit excited with a locomotive I found. I literally stumbled into it at a great price and brand spanking new in the box for $168 bucks with sound! Never been run or out of the box! It will be my first ES44AC unit. Can't wait to get it and show it off!

Loved catching up on everyone's post. Looking good gang!

Ya'll have a good week!

It's insane what used train stuff is going for. I watch Shopgoodwill.com and with shipping they charge on some items, I would end up paying more than I can get the stuff new. I lose many auctions that way. For those that live closer to where local pickup is an option, you can still save a couple of dollars.

On a side note: what do I do with all the brass track I've picked up along the way? I'd be tempted to strip it and sell the brass.

Good Morning All. A much warmer 59° and clear morning here at 0700, still dark for another 30 minutes. Just three more weeks before Standard Time returns.
RANT regarding DST: Not so much now that I am retired, but I always disliked switching my clocks twice a year, some invariably wouldn't get switched for 4-5 weeks. Matter of fact the one on the house wall facing the pool, never gets off CDT, since the pool only gets used during summer. An old Native American saying goes like this:

"Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."

There's currently a bipartisan bill in Congress to do away with the time change, although it will probably go nowhere if a certain Representative doesn't get her way, called The Sunshine Protection Act (HR-69). It would put the entire nation on Daylight Time year-round.
END OF RANT.

It was quite a beating having to deal with rush hour traffic yesterday, going to and from my wife's doctor appointment. 3:45 is not an ideal time, even in the small city of Denton TX, pop.~135K. Of course on the way we also had to deal with a school zone on a two lane blacktop on the edge of a small town! Never actually saw the doctor, all evaluation was done by a physicians assistant and the stitches were removed by a nurse. No slur to them, they were both very capable persons, especially the PA. Tomorrow is the infectious disease guy and then some kind of hospital procedure on 11-19 to look for infection or lack of it. At this point, it looks like the replacement knee joint can be installed on 12-3 if all goes according to plan.

Sherrel - 8 & 10K tankers are too early for my era. The tankers in those pictures are medium for me, 25K made for Ethanol.

Gotta go right now, I'll be back soon.

Good Morning All. A much warmer 59° and clear morning here at 0700, still dark for another 30 minutes. Just three more weeks before Standard Time returns.
RANT regarding DST: Not so much now that I am retired, but I always disliked switching my clocks twice a year, some invariably wouldn't get switched for 4-5 weeks. Matter of fact the one on the house wall facing the pool, never gets off CDT, since the pool only gets used during summer. An old Native American saying goes like this:

"Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."

There's currently a bipartisan bill in Congress to do away with the time change, although it will probably go nowhere if a certain Representative doesn't get her way, called The Sunshine Protection Act (HR-69). It would put the entire nation on Daylight Time year-round.
END OF RANT.

Yes, it is stupid. I would be in favor of just staying on DST and never going back -- just rename the DST to standard. (Ie, I dislike the concept of switching, but am in favor of keeping the clocks switched forward an hour from what they are now in standard time, just year round).

We are now up to $1,425.00 so that is now 47.50 per car (30 cars).........
Wow, stupid crazy people with money. I knew as I wrote it would go over $1000 maybe now with so many days left are we going to see 2000. I respect Eric, his layout and his model but not the people bidding on his equipment. He doesnt set the pricing, just wow!

Thanks for watching the bidding
TomO

Willie, Sunday's Cowboys game is a perfect example of why I watch NFL games. I thoroughly enjoyed the drama and unpredictable events. Not to mention "free football" (over time). I was not aware of the touchdown record, but I'm not surprised. Tom Landry was well known for his defensive innovations. He was as equally innovative on the offensive side of the ball. With the exception of a few seasons the Cowboys have always been competitive. As a long time fan of the Washington football team I love to route against the Cowboys, but I do have much respect for the franchise.

Have a great day Everybody!
NFL football even though I am not the fan I used to be is still 2nd in my sports heart to the NHL. Yes, hate the Cowboys respect the franchise. Same with the Yankees and the Canadians.

I know we have written why our reasons why pro sports doesn’t have our interest any longer. Be it the politics, the crazy salaries people can’t comprehend or whatever. There is one thing I have never wrote before. About 5 years before I went cold turkey for a couple years my SIL got me involved with Fantasy football. That has also turned me off. Oh well, they don’t need my money as sports just seems to be getting bigger and more expensive to the fan. I have my trains!

TomO

It's insane what used train stuff is going for. I watch Shopgoodwill.com and with shipping they charge on some items, I would end up paying more than I can get the stuff new. I lose many auctions that way. For those that live closer to where local pickup is an option, you can still save a couple of dollars.

On a side note: what do I do with all the brass track I've picked up along the way? I'd be tempted to strip it and sell the brass.

About every 3-4 months the local auction house has a train auction, which because of Covid has moved to an online format. I've noticed that they are getting premium prices of just about everything. One of the reason I have placed 8 or 9 lots with them for this weeks auction! It's local for me, they ship the items if need be, and it's much less aggravation that fleabay! Plus I get to thin the herd!

Good Morning, friends!
Thank you for the likes and comments on my post of a couple days ago. I'm happy you enjoy the photos, even those that are not railway modeling related.

The wife and I made a spur of the moment decision, early yesterday morning. We decided we would travel to Jasper to have lunch with long lost friends from Toronto. That's a 3 hour drive one way. It was all fun, though.
We had a wonderful lunch with our friends, and then they had to continue on their journey to southern destinations.
Myself; I took the Jasper opportunity walk around and take some photos.

Gotta tell ya, I'm not a big fan of museum displays. They are always unoriginal and prettied-up for the tourist; usually they don't even carry realistic colors.
At least it's preserved, but, this old steam engine is a case in point:
CN 6015_10-18-2021 (1).jpg

CN 6015_10-18-2021 (2).jpg

CN 6015_10-18-2021 (3).jpg

I'll bet you folks know what type of engine that is! I sure don't.

Also, here is the station house located in Jasper.
JasperStation_10-18-2021.jpg

It wasn't good weather for tourist photos; the Rockies were hidden in low-level clouds.

Anyway, that's my post for today. I will post more photos over the next couple of days. Right now, I just don't have a lot of time to keep my nose in this computer.

So, have a great day, everyone! See ya soon!

Good Morning, 44° at wake-up, 54° now...had to turn the heat on yesterday, after inside temperature fell to 64° :( I was hoping to keep it off a while longer.
Time Change: At this stage in my life, I'm all for picking one and sticking with it. During my working years, by October, It was dark when I left for work, and dark when I came home. Depends on your circumstance and location, for determining which, (Standard or Daylight), is better, so no real consensus can be obtained. Morning or evening, it is no fun driving with a low sun shining into your face.
TomO: Eric is a "celebrity" in out hobby, and his work is well publicized. Therefore, collectors will come out of the woodwork to bid on his models.
I tend to choke at some of the prices people will pay for "Got to have" items. OTOH, it's not coming out of my wallet.
It was quite a beating having to deal with rush hour traffic yesterday, going to and from my wife's doctor appointment. 3:45 is not an ideal time, even in the small city of Denton TX, pop.~135K. Of course on the way we also had to deal with a school zone on a two lane blacktop on the edge of a small town! Never actually saw the doctor, all evaluation was done by a physicians assistant and the stitches were removed by a nurse. No slur to them, they were both very capable persons, especially the PA. Tomorrow is the infectious disease guy and then some kind of hospital procedure on 11-19 to look for infection or lack of it. At this point, it looks like the replacement knee joint can be installed on 12-3 if all goes according to plan.
Willie: Sounds like a sound plan. I'm praying that all goes well.

About every 3-4 months the local auction house has a train auction, which because of Covid has moved to an online format. I've noticed that they are getting premium prices of just about everything. One of the reason I have placed 8 or 9 lots with them for this weeks auction! It's local for me, they ship the items if need be, and it's much less aggravation that fleabay! Plus I get to thin the herd!

I saw an article where model RR'ing took off during the pandemic. What's sad is I'm seeing premium pricing for Tyco and Life-Like stuff from the 70's and 80's. Just because it's old doesn't make it valuable. Of course I managed to pick up some of that stuff also along the way.

Willie I like the painting job you did on the RAMONES building AND I like your rant. I have been waiting for some presidential candidate to promise to get rid of DST. Anyone would get my vote. (almost anyone). The great Paul Harvey told a story about 2 politicians at a bar, one said "I bet I can pass a bill that will have everyone in the country doing something stupid twice a year" the other drunk, er politician said you're on!! Greetings to all.

While at the club room last week selecting O scale figures for the On30m layout, I was asked my procedure for painting figures.
I thought I would share it with the forum. This is a procedure that works for me and others may do their painting differently.

Several people have donated railroad rolling stock, structures and supplies to the club over the last few years. I found some
O scale children someone had begun painting. Most had thick plastic bases, as seen in the first picture. The bases were carefully removed with rail nippers seen in pictures two.
Clean the figures with soap and water or alcohol. I use latex craft paints be cause they are cheap, clean up with water and are easy to paint over errors. I use a color called ALMOND or MILK CHOCOLATE for flesh faces arms and legs. Do not use the plastic figure color, paint all plastic surfaces.
Paint the figure as if you were dressing them, starting with shirts or blouses, then the suits, jackets, pants or dresses. Next, paint bags, cases or accessories like coats or packages. Next to last is hair and hats, then shoes or boots are the last items painted.
Look over the figures for smears or whoopies and repaint as needed. Let the paint cure for 24 hours. I use a 10/0 brush for fine details on the figures and a 5/0 brush for larger areas on HO and O scales figures.
If desired, a light alcohol ink wash can be applied to faces and hands to bring out details. A very light coat of Dullcote will protect the paint when finished if the figures will be handled.
I hope this process will help you try hand painting custom figures for your layout.

Attachments

• people 10.18.21 1.jpg
    people 10.18.21 1.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 71
  • people 10.18.21 2.jpg
    people 10.18.21 2.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 65
  • people 10.19.21.jpg
    people 10.19.21.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 72
Sherrel, excellent picture! Look at the rust on those rails. I am going to print this and put it in the entrance display of pictures. I guess we can rust our rails enough. You also can see the smooth rail heads without the rust. Paper crumbled up, low ballast levels and a few weeds. Thank you

TomO
94E4C816-BE6A-4633-986A-5C8F4C8648DE.jpeg

I saw an article where model RR'ing took off during the pandemic. What's sad is I'm seeing premium pricing for Tyco and Life-Like stuff from the 70's and 80's. Just because it's old doesn't make it valuable. Of course I managed to pick up some of that stuff also along the way.
Patrick,

I don’t get the Tyco stuff pricing.

I have not found good pricing on EBay in many many moons.

I buy locomotives new from 3 places, lombardhobby.com, hiawathahobbies.com and midwestmodelrr.com. I will not buy pre-owned locomotives unless I personally know the modeler. I will buy preowned rolling stock though at the Facebook buy/sell sites where you can find some pretty good deals. New rolling stock I buy from my LHS.

TomO

OK, I'm back, had to assist with care-giving.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the Ramone's build and the raccoon visitors; Karl, Tom O, Sherrel, Joe, James, Hughie, Patrick, Rick, Steve, Curt, Mikey, Steve J, Guy.

Since it's lunch already, give me a roast beef and Provolone cheese sandwich Francine. Cole slaw and a cold Shiner draft to go with it.

I did not make it out to the train shed yesterday due to all of the medical and household stuff going on. Your comments regarding Ramone's have been very encouraging. I will get back at it this afternoon. This build could easily go much quicker if I spent more time in the train shed, but then that would be like having a job all over again! LOL
I obviously don't have any update pictures this morning, so I thought I would show off my lower level staging yard from when I removed everything to do the biannual cleaning project in 2000.
Looking north.
01-18-20 003.JPG

Looking south.
01-18-20 004.JPG

The seven tracks on the aisle side can each hold between 17 and 20 cars each, while the five on the wall side can each hold 25 cars; for a total capacity of over 250. Normally 2-3 tracks are clear for fluidity of the yard. There's a switching lead on one end but I normally just lift the engines off to move them around.
01-19-20 001.001.JPG

Joe - I am concerned about the raccoon group being on the estate. As I posted yesterday, they're destructive and mean. I would rather that they leave on their own accord and settle somewhere else. I could most likely catch one with the Havahart trap, but they are smart enough that the remaining two wouldn't go near it after seeing their sibling caught; and then I would never get rid of them all. However their mortality rate when young can be as high as 50% with vehicles, bobcats and coyotes being the main cause of death. All are present in sufficient numbers nearby.
Chad - Whether daylight saving or standard, I don't care. Just pick one and go with it.

Everybody have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back