Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up way past my bed time. Leafs won their opener 5-3 over Ottawa...Took overtime to do it, but I see the Caps beat st. Lois 3-2. In the AL wild card, the Rays sent the A's home 5-1.

I did finish my version of the Walthers stock pens that go with the Meat packing plant. It's now mounted on the gorilla board with the Packing plant and power house.. The pen was re-engineered to share a 7" x 24" space with the rest of the complex .

Cow Pen 10-02-2019.jpg

The cattle pen will be located toward the back, and the view will be obstructed by the freight house, so I really took some liberties with the structure. needs some final detail work and weathering yet.
I may have a completion photo tomorrow.
Boris

JOE - Yeah, It's even getting past my normal sleepy time as well. So, the TB is moving on up - who do they play next?
Your pens look very nice indeed.
DAVID Smith called me this afternoon and we talked for about 20 min. He is having some leg problems at the moment and says it really limits his mobility.
I don't drrm to be able to get caught up enough on anything enough to do any modeling - and it seems that when I do have the time that I cannot keep my eyes open --ZZZZZ!
So I will depart and leave you with a double shot of an RS-1

slsf RS1 108-2.jpg
slsf RS1 108.jpg

Louis: Speaking of World Series games I was lucky to have gone to the I believe 1957 World Series with the former Milwaukee Braves playing the Yankees. I had a banner from the game that is one of the rare ones but can't find it. The Braves won the series in seven games. We also went to the 2001 World Series game in Phoenix and watched the Diamond Backs play the Yankees. The game was just after 911 and the security was extremely high.

Last night's game I wonder why Hader was in relief when he was a major reason for another lost in another game just last Saturday. Simple mistakes in fielding can cost a team a game and Championship as the Brewers proved last night. Maybe next year....close two years in a row.

Greg, how cool is that?! Your real treasure is your memories of the games. The values of most baseball memorabilia has fallen off drastically. If you had sold the banner in the 80s you would have gotten top dollar. If you are like me, I will never sell most of my stuff. I'll leave mine for my grandsons. Like my trains I won't be upset if they sell them, so long as they don't blow the money!

Louis & Sherrel: Not for nothing, but I expected the baseball season to end last night, when I checked the score before bed, then this morning, I learned my season had a reprieve, at least for another round. The Nats have finally found their reliever, Steven Strasburg.
I knew, that by going to over the air TV reception, I would not be able to access the MLB playoffs on TV, but in the New York market, none of the usual radio outlets carried the game. Not exactly the best way to grow interest in the series.

Boris, I woke to a pleasant surprise as well. The Nationals even picked up a save from the bullpen, Daniel Hudson! The Dodgers series will be an uphill battle.

The greed of MLB is hurting the future of the game. No broadcast TV or radio for the playoffs and no day games leaves far too many potential fans out, especially the young ones. MLB is making more money than ever, but how long will it last?

Capitals win in overtime! :)

TrucTrain - your reefer looks really good to me.
The crooked lettering is prototypical.
About 30 years ago, I drove by the Holidaysburg Shops near Altoona, Pa. where they rolled out a repaired boxcar where the logo stencil had been applied backwards on one end of the car. Wish I had a camera with me!

Good morning Everybody!

It's 73 with 87% humidity under cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore.

Yesterday's high was 97! I worked 1.5 hours in the morning, got paid for 3.5 and was home in the central A/C before the temperatures reached the 90s.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning everyone. 71 and mostly cloudy out there. Cool front came through overnight. Bigger cooldown coming next week.

TrucTrain55 (AKA Lee), Patrick, Sherrel, Willie, IBKen, Flip, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my Progress post.
TrucTrain55 (Lee - now I see your name) - Nice work on those reefers. And I especially like the work on the REA piggyback.
Boris - I like that stockyard fence.
Mikey (PNKFLOYD) - I may have missed your comment/like a couple of days ago - thank you for it.

I came into the hobby and onto this forum probably about the time Jeffrey Wimberly (Running Bear) died, or a little after. I remember Eric White (Big E) and joined all the rest of the folks on this forum when he died. I think his son or SIL or someone related to him came on the forum to tell us the sad news.

Ran trains for a short while last night - no switching or anything, just ran them. Glued down an extension to the new spur's roadbed. No photo (not much to see other than some weights holding the roadbed down overnight). Tonight my wife and I go to a free class offered by one MO State U on retirement strategies. We have ours pretty well figured out, but it never hurts to get more info. We're not that far from pulling the trigger and retiring, so we want to make sure we're set right. We won't get home until late, so no trains tonight :(

Thought I'd post a couple of photos of the layout not related to the new area I'm working on. This is Main Street in the larger town of Pine Valley.
1) A north-bound freight train passes by the steamer-pulled passenger train stopped at the station.
Townview1_3_25_19.jpg

2) Looking south down Main Street while the freight train continues north.
Townview2_3_25_19.jpg

Have a good day everyone. Time for more coffee.

Good Morning to All. 70° and clear skies to start my day. Still looking at mid-90's today before the first of two cool fronts hits just after sunset tonight. Then wham-o on Sunday night. Back on schedule today with the grocery/beer trek, extra stops at the Vitamin Shop and post office.
A pair of sunny-side up eggs with some Canadian bacon his morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's museum pictures; Patrick, Lee, Chet, Joe, Clint, Justin, Johnny, Garry, Louis, Chad, Tom, Ken.

Out in the train shed, I weathered the two covered hoppers that I completed earlier. Light weathering and graffiti on one and barely there weathering on the other.
10-03-19 001.JPG

10-03-19 002.JPG

I also took the cab off one of the new Dash9's to install a crew.
10-03-19 007.JPG

10-03-19 008.JPG
Unfortunately that crew cannot be seen too well in pictures due to the prototypical brown tint to the windows.

Lee - Those are really nice reefers that you are doing. Those O scale piggybacks are also awesome.
Greg - Continued best wishes on your recovery.
Tim - Missed commenting on Tuesday's post, but that scene with the Glue Works is coming along nicely.
Joe - Nice looking stockyards. It will be interesting to see how it all fits together, looking forward to it.

Speaking of Running Bear, besides still being the leading poster on this forum (probably others as well), he had just developed his own railroading forum, "Rails of the World", of which some of us were members. He unfortunately passed on before it got off the ground too much but it started out quite interestingly. I was planning a visit with him and we had E-Mailed a couple of times about it, since I always passed about 20 miles east of him on our yearly trips to Gulf Shores, but his health began failing him and he didn't respond.

Everybody have a great day.

TrucTrain - your reefer looks really good to me.
The crooked lettering is prototypical.
About 30 years ago, I drove by the Holidaysburg Shops near Altoona, Pa. where they rolled out a repaired boxcar where the logo stencil had been applied backwards on one end of the car. Wish I had a camera with me!

Yeah those decals are very old and I took a gamble using them with out sealer. They gave me a hard time but lije you said there were a few not prefect. Thanks for the complement

Morning all,

Time enough for a coffee this morning, Thanks Flo!

About Jeff, I had sold him several of the buildings and an oil pump jack I had gotten from a layout I bought in 2012 at an estate sale. He was good folks and while we never met in person, I considered him a friend.
I was also a member of his Rails around the World forum. Very interesting information he had on some of the older railroads.
I cannot say whether or not I remember Eric though.

I forgot to post this earlier...lol. Get called away and don't get back for a couple of hours.

Rainy and 55 degrees in Doo-Dah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back