Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out chilly (relative) and overcast. Currently 64F with a gray sky. Started out the day putting cleaned items away from yesterday. Afterwards I took several photos of the crane and got them posted into my laptop photo album. It's been a lazy day since then.

Yesterday was a great time with family and great food, but way too much of it.

Todd- My wife uses a Zo for her bread maker and is very happy with it.

Louis- Great news about your train being set up.

Patrick- Good news about your wife's A1c.

Karl- Great photos.

Troy- Nice picture of your Mom.

Bill- Neat picture of you.

Willie- Nice signage.

This is the shuttle.

20231122_102142.jpg

This is the crane on the layout. I'm going to build a scene around the crane.

20231124_094516.jpg

20231124_094545.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those still in turkey comas

It's Troy again.

Today, wife wanted Pizza King for lunch, and I wanted to go see the N-scale club gents that I had to cut short a chat with a week or so ago when I started having my eye problem at the model train show.

Here's a couple of pics of their small setup at the train show...

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 7.46.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 7.47.06 PM.png

And a week later, the club set up in one of the classrooms at the Science Central hands-on learning for youngsters. Wife and I went today to check the Science Center off the local tourism list. We weren't too impressed by any of the science displays, but the N-track gents had a nice setup going in the lower-level classroom.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 7.47.46 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 7.47.25 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 7.47.35 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 7.48.00 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 7.48.11 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 7.48.21 PM.png

Pretty cool what you can do with NTrack scenes.

They're having their holiday party and officer elections in about 10 days. I said I'd make the meeting and get to know everyone. But I know better than to pay the dues and sign the signups until AFTER the officer elections. No getting Shanghai'd for me.

Their DCC setup is fairly interesting. I know the general theory, not the actual setup. Using all Digitrax stuff, they've set up their own wifi system for shows, and members use their phones as controllers.

Told them I had purchased an NCE power cab and breaker, but hadn't hooked it up yet. Wondering if they'll actually be helpful in helping me set that up? Or if I'll be better off selling the NCE and investing in digitrax for the local help? Even when I chatted with the HO guys at another museum show a year or so ago, everyone was Digitrax. Of course, that's what the local hobby shop pushes, so DT has deep penetration here.

Good Evening All. I posted yesterday evening about the 174 page family genealogy that my brother put together over the past couple of years. I got my generations reversed, it goes back 6 generations on my paternal grandmother's side of the family, and 4 generations on my paternal grandfather's side of the family. I spent a good part of the day reviewing much of it, hoping to catch my brother's possible mistakes. None found, so he did well. Of special interest to me is an included picture of my grandfather and grandmother on their wedding day of May 28, 1928.
IMG_0995.001.JPG

I am not sure if this was colorized later on, or if it was taken that way. There was color photography in the 1920's, so I think that this is a crude example of it. My grandfather was 6'4" and my grandmother was 4'11" as were her two sisters who I knew well. He's not only sitting, but you can see that she is standing on a platform. BTW, it always pissed my Dad off that he was not as tall as his father. I get my height from her as I am 5'4", but my son is 6'4".
As I have posted here before, my grandfather and another gentleman invented the Heisman Trophy in 1935. My Dad helped him count ballots on their dining room table starting in 1937 when Dad was 8. We were quite surprised after my Dad died and we went through his stuff and found 7 autographed Heisman Trophy programs, signed by the winners, from 1936 through 1944, that he never told us about. There is not one from 1943 for some unknown reason. I only recognized two names, Davey O'Brien (1938) and Tom Harmon (1940). Grandpa never received any royalties from that event; I'm not sure that anyone did.
At present, the whole genealogy stops at my father's generation including his two sisters. My brother is currently working on my Mother's side of the family and hopes to publish it within another year.

My daughter’s elf on the shelf made her long journey from the North Pole to bring Christmas wishes and ran into this! 🤣 🤣 🤣

View attachment 177236
He knows the Elf is one of Santa's spies. ;) At least he did not rip up her Elf.

We have an ELF to give our youngest grandson; this is his first Christmas. My other two grandsons are teenagers. They are too old to believe, but they still enjoy seeing their elves. The Elf on the Shelf is an example of capitalism at Christmas, but a wonderful Christmas tradition for children. I wish I had invented it!

What did your daughter name her Elf?

Their DCC setup is fairly interesting. I know the general theory, not the actual setup. Using all Digitrax stuff, they've set up their own wifi system for shows, and members use their phones as controllers.

Told them I had purchased an NCE power cab and breaker, but hadn't hooked it up yet. Wondering if they'll actually be helpful in helping me set that up? Or if I'll be better off selling the NCE and investing in digitrax for the local help?
Hey Troy!

I hope that eye thing stops troubling you. I have similar problems when my blood pressure goes too low, it's a PITA!

I was glad to hear you got some ham for thanksgiving. Other than hotdogs, ham is my favorite meat. I'm sorry you don't like turkey. We can't help what we don't like. I'm glad I do like turkey. 😛

No need to worry about help with your NCE DCC setup. This coffee shop has all the NCE DCC experts you ever need. Regardless of whatever system you end up using, these guys in the coffee shop know DCC! They know more than Bo Jackson, I had to throw in a sports reference for you. ;)

As I have posted here before, my grandfather and another gentleman invented the Heisman Trophy in 1935. My Dad helped him count ballots on their dining room table starting in 1937 when Dad was 8. We were quite surprised after my Dad died and we went through his stuff and found 7 autographed Heisman Trophy programs, signed by the winners, from 1936 through 1944, that he never told us about. There is not one from 1943 for some unknown reason. I only recognized two names, Davey O'Brien (1938) and Tom Harmon (1940). Grandpa never received any royalties from that event; I'm not sure that anyone did.
Willie, that is too cool about the Heisman! I had missed it when you posted it before. How cool is that?! Years ago, college sports were truly Amateur sports. Now it is all big business. Those great people who volunteered their efforts made college sports what they are today. It's sad to see it being exploited the way it is today.

My oldest grandson blames his Mom for not feeding him right for his lack of height. I was 6'6" at his age, 14. I tried to tell her big multiple daily servings of meat, milk, and lots of vegetables. ;) I tease my daughter about it. "Soy and Almond Milk, WTF? they shouldn't be allowed to call that crap milk!" But I tell my grandson he is exactly what God wants him to be, perfect!

I've made more progress with my Family Room Christmas trains! The Lionel Santa's Flyer is out of the box and on the rails. For the first time it is complete with all three addon cars Lionel made for the set. Two of the three were not in my inventory. One I could not find where I purchased it or how much I paid for it. I need to do a complete physical inventory. Add another task to the list. ;) For now, I will update the inventory as I pull things out of their boxes. First I need to add power to the figure 8 that Santa's Flyer will run on.

SANTA'S FLYER READY-TO-RUN TRAIN SET (0-8-0 STEAM LOCO #1225)​

1700892179263.png

SANTA'S FLYER HOT COCOA THREE-DOME TANK CAR​

1700892580024.png

SANTA'S FLYER ANIMATED GONDOLA Mine is an alternate version with an Elf chasing the reindeer.

1700892299788.png

SANTA'S FLYER REEFER​

1700892838640.png

This is the "most wonderful time of the year" at least for me it is. 🤪 My love of trains began with the Tyco Bicentenial set my Mom gave me to run under our Christmas tree in 1974.

I love all my trains, no wonder I have so many. But Lionel's Christams trains are the pinnacle for me.

I enjoy everything about Christmas, but the lighter side is the most fun!
I loved my little transistor radio when I was a boy!

Enjoy the Holidays Everybody!

Morning Everyone! Looking for a 71-f high today with mostly sunny!

I am going to have to "force" MOH to slow down the vittles next year, unless we start feeding the outliners. It still does not look as if we have put much of a dent in the fixings? Not that we haven't tried - the two G-sons have really been trying - been a while since I have seen two boys put that much away.
I am completely upside down with my sleeping patterns. Sound asleep arounf 8:30 and awake at 12 to 1 AM. Now, if I am fortunate, I will fall asleep around 3-4 and sleep until 5:30-6am.

I think that I will try to lay down again - this is sooo screwed up - not fun!!

Morning y'all,

Nice morning for some Holiday Jazz on the Pandora app. Coffee (Xmas blend) is in the cup.
coffee.jpg

Yes, the coffee is from the sTaRbuck$ brand. I'm slowly growing past my need for it. Normally, I love an aged Sumatra coffee (that's what gives it the spicy kick, aging the beans)

But as I get older, my acid reflux is acting up more and more.

I do take famotidine morning and right before evening meals. But, I'm finding that I need to hit the Tums during dinner. So I'm trying to cut back on my coffee and soda consumption.

So, I only purchased two bags of the aged Sumatra extra spicy coffee. And the 2nd bag is 1/2 used. Another week, and I'll be back to the lesser acid dark roast I like.

Not sure what the wife has planned for me today. But I plan on napping. We'll see how that goes.

Good morning. Went to bed at 1:30AM and wide awake at 4:30, very frustrating.

Troy, the NCE Power cab is the easiest IMO. Are you wanting to use cell phones for your throttles? Also easy, if so WifiTrax at Tony’s Trains, Iron Planet and other shops sell the add on module for now $124 but shop around I paid $110 shipped in September
IMG_2077.png

NCAA ranked #1 Volleyball Nebraska fell hard 3-0 to still injury depleted Wisconsin at the Fieldhouse yesterday on campus. I have attended lots of loud VB games there along with 8000 other VB crazies but yesterday topped any others. WOW, it was fun and we won.

enjoy the day

Good morning gang!

28° when I walked to the truck this morning, any getting to 44° later. Brrrr.

Good morning. Went to bed at 1:30AM and wide awake at 4:30, very frustrating.

Troy, the NCE Power cab is the easiest IMO. Are you wanting to use cell phones for your throttles? Also easy, if so WifiTrax at Tony’s Trains, Iron Planet and other shops sell the add on module for now $124 but shop around I paid $110 shipped in September

enjoy the day

Troy. I have to agree with Tom. The PowerCab is soooo easy to use. Its layout is the same as the ProCab and quite intuitive. I have a ProCab system with 2 ProCabs,, 2 PowerCabs and a Cab 02 (a.k.a rookie throttle) I also can run phone throttles with an old PC running JMRI and a program called "engine Driver". I've had my NCE PHP since 1999. Its been upgraded twice and every few years I have to replace the battery in the booster/command station, but it has been otherwise bullet proof.

Q: Why can't you hear Pterodactyls in the bathroom???
A: Because the P is silent.

Do I hear groans of acceptance??? LOL! I've got a million of em!

BBL

My kitchen upgrade continues on. I would love to get down to the train room but no time for it right now. Got most of the under the sink plumping done. The under the cabinet's lighting junction box has yet to get done. The dishwasher electrical outlet has to be installed. I installed the three 1/4 turn shutoff valves yesterday.
Swal

K_under_the_sink_02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back